Suggestions for newbie(s) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Roger

Total Props: 0
Suggestions for newbie(s)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All,
My son(12 yrs) and I(more than 12 yrs) are thinking about getting into this hobby. Many years ago, I had an old Cricket heli that I hopped around (that probably dates me pretty well), but other than that, not much experience (still have the Cricket though).

I guess I have a few questions to start, and will always welcome any suggestions offered. First off, I think we're probably looking at a 40 size Trainer. Can I get by with a single airplane for now?

I hope to meet up with some people from the Ajax R/C Club for more help/advice, but I know they offer help for new pilots and use 'trainer' radios. If I buy something used, are all radios compatible with this system?

Finally (for now), what should I be looking for in a used beginner plane/radio.

Again, thanks for any/all advice.
Roger is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Nuker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bob D.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 12FG
# of RCs: 1+

Hi Roger,

probably best to stop by the field for a chat. There are quite a few options on the plane, both used and new. We've had one or two father/son teams join the club. While they started with 1 plane between them, most converted to 2 planes so they could both fly at the same time.

If the weather isn't too bad tomorrow, there will be a few of us there late morning, early afternoon.

We have "buddy boxes" for Futaba, (old and new plug), JR and Airtronics so we should be able to accomodate your equipment.

btw, the Cricket would be a great plane for you both to start out with, although a new battery is probably in order. Bring your stuff along and someone can take a look at it with you to let you know if any other part needs replacing.

Hope to see you at the field (if the weather is terrible tomorrow, then come by next Saturday morning)

Bob
Member of MAAC since I joined

Lighten Up, Life is waaaaaayyyy too short
Nuker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:29 AM   #3
Matteus
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Matt C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 8

good suggestions

Here is my 2 cents on the topic.

Make sure you get a nice light plane that flies well.

Dont get duped by the "CRASH PROOF" planes cause they are also flight proof. Like flying a brick, terrible models.

The goldberg Eagle is a good one and there are many other high wing trainers. I personally recomend to start with an aileron trainer so that you dont have to relearn to fly with ailerons. It will be a slighter longer learning phase but you will appreciate it when you start into aerobatics and or move to a low winger or other model.

40 Size is a great choice of model to start with, they are common, large enough to see and handle some wind. They also fit in car and dont cost a fortune to build.

Parenting tip: For your's and your son's relationship sake do yourself a favour. When and I mean when not if your son starts to fly circles around you be proud of him not jealous. Kids take to this hobby so well, its the lack of fear. Just a peice of friendly advice. There are a some fathers out there that dont like it when their sons can out fly them, then there are the fathers that ebrace the talents that kids can posess and encourage them (just look at the Szabos) it can be the greatest bonding experience you and your son can have.

GL and welcome to both you and your son to this wonderful world of RC aircraft.
Matteus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
tvguy

Trainers,

I've seen allot of guys at our club flying Hobbico Nexstars, They seem like great flying planes, but I would suggest removing a few things on it. It comes with an AFS module (active flight Stabilization). Makes flying too easy, as it prevents sudden increases or decreases in altitude. Also remove the Training flaps on the bottom of the wings, as they slow you down, and you don't learn how to control your speed on landing. Finally with this plane, remove the airfoil extensions. These are supposed to increase lift, but I find the plane flys just beautifully without these things. As far as a radio, I use a skysport 4 from futaba, not a computer radio, but great for using with trainers and anyother 4 channel plane.
tvguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
Beginners models

Are you locked into slimers? If not, really consider a GWS Beaver: it is a good beginners model, yet has a great deal of possibilities once you are bored. It is easy to get replacement parts. It can be flown (usually) in a local park or schoolground unless you are in a Gestapo-controlled municipality.

And it looks like an airplane! :P
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:56 PM   #6
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Re: Beginners models

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle
Are you locked into slimers? If not, really consider a GWS Beaver: it is a good beginners model, yet has a great deal of possibilities once you are bored. It is easy to get replacement parts. It can be flown (usually) in a local park or schoolground unless you are in a Gestapo-controlled municipality.

And it looks like an airplane! :P
Please don't fly in a park as a beginner. It is not worth hurting someone!
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
Parks..

You're right, most beginners (NOT ALL!) have the necessary wits not to fly iin a heavily-used park, and I admire your advice as a retailer; not all retailers have your kind of conscience. When I think of parks, I think of large vacant areas of land, often under some kind of municipal control. We had a few in Victoria, some of which will still tolerate the errors of a beginner. Here, of course, I have unlimited access to flying areas, some parks, some Crown land, where the only living thing in jeopardy is the occasional cow.

I do not envy today's beginners. If I was to begin today, I would likely buy a Pico Stick or somesuch, where 12mph is a threat to only the terminally stupid or their progeny (Darwinism in Action). Apparently one is well within their rights to step into an obviously dangerous situation, knowing that the Law (and a good lawyer) will protect them where their natural intelligence will not...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:29 AM   #8
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am sponsored by Kelowna Speedway and Hobby only.

My opinions do not reflect those of Kelowna speedway and Hobby's owners, staff or affiliates and should not be taken as such.
Kelowna Speedway and Hobby appears in my signature for advertising purposes only.
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #9
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Re: Beginners models

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
Please don't fly in a park as a beginner. It is not worth hurting someone!
I was down the street yesterday 'flying' my GWS pico J3 Cub in the college parking lot. In order to hurt someone you would have to dive at them for five minutes. It was the maiden flight, I was flying figure eights around the lamp posts. 39" foam wing, 8.5 oz, $130 plus transmitter.

This thing weighs and costs about half of my Saito 72 on the front of my Funtana 40.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #10
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillmanr2
I am sponsored by Kelowna Speedway and Hobby only.

My opinions do not reflect those of Kelowna speedway and Hobby's owners, staff or affiliates and should not be taken as such.
Kelowna Speedway and Hobby appears in my signature for advertising purposes only.
Ah! I was sponsored once; I wore the kyosho hat and jacket, repaired the team's electronics. I also did waranty service for the Novak and Tekin distributers. Had to give up RC for almost two decades because of the bull//// politics.

Neen some Novak or Tekin parts?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in