Any one using the Dr.Madthrust 90 mm 6 cell 12blade - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
canadianice
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jeff t
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 12
Any one using the Dr.Madthrust 90 mm 6 cell 12blade

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I am thinking of using the 12 blade 6cell Dr.Madthrust from hobby king in my E-flite f 4 phantom. Looking for some input on the quality and performance of these units any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
NDW
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Nelson D
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 10
Re: Any one using the Dr.Madthrust 90 mm 6 cell 12blade

Jeff,
Not the 90mm dr. MADD thrust but I've been using the 50mm all summer. Great quality and well balanced and after about 40-45 batteries through it, it's holding up well. Not kero but sounds pretty darn close... I've got a 70mm on order for my composite viperjet.
NDW is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
airbourne
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jeff F

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianice View Post
I am thinking of using the 12 blade 6cell Dr.Madthrust from hobby king in my E-flite f 4 phantom. Looking for some input on the quality and performance of these units any help greatly appreciated
Unless I've inhaled some magical poppies on my way home from work, the Phantom takes an 80mm fan and the Lander/Dr. Mad Thrust 12 blade are 90mm.

Your choices at the moment are limited to the stock eflite fan or a Jetfan 80, although I've heard there may be more 80mm choices in the future.
airbourne is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:49 AM   #4
canadianice
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18

With a little mod you can put a 90 in it. I did it to the Habu. I just want the whoosh sound as well as a little more blow.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #5
airbourne
RCC Master Contributor

Little mod? Care to share some details, I know a half dozen guys that would love to try something like that.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
canadianice
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX18

First you have to make new mounts and then mod the intake and thrust tubes not really that much. This time though I am going with 6cell instead of 8 it was too heavy 9 lbs flew fast and landed fast not much fun.thats why the 6cell 12 blade Dr.Madthrust this time.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #7
Eric S.
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Eric S.
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

I have 2 of the older DPS/lander units from hobbyking and love them. The Dr Mad thrust units have a 1 piece impeller while the units I have look like changesun blades but the shroud is the same and I believe they use the same motor as well. If they are the same as far as sound, balance and performance go, yo'll love them as well. I have 2 of the 70mm units as well. One sounds pretty good while the other was out of balance and is currently apart for balancing. The 70mm units don't sound anywhere near as good as the 90mm but the sound is still a big improvement over 5/6 blade fans Just so you have an idea, here's a vid of my Euro with the 90mm DPS unit and one of my HK Rafale with the 70mm unit.

Eric S. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #8
airbourne
RCC Master Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianice View Post
First you have to make new mounts and then mod the intake and thrust tubes not really that much. This time though I am going with 6cell instead of 8 it was too heavy 9 lbs flew fast and landed fast not much fun.thats why the 6cell 12 blade Dr.Madthrust this time.
Could you take any pictures of what you did? Modding the intake sounds like it would be rather involved. Would like to know as I have an opportunity to buy a couple used F4 airframes locally.

Re: Dr. Mad Thrust 90mm Fan, probably not the best choice for the F4 as it's a very heavy fan unit added to an already heavy plane.

If you can run 90mm then sky's the limit, I would go with a lightweight 8S Wemo Evo setup with HET motor on 2 X 4S 3300mah packs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in