Building my first multi rotor! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
lookitsross
RCC Noob

I am: Andrew R
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Building my first multi rotor!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all,
This is my first post here on RC Canada, and I'm hoping this will be a long relationship.
Just got into the RC world this summer and I've already been loving it.

So here's the story:
I decided I would try my hand at building my own multi rotor. I'm good at building almost anything, I mean I do have my own construction company, but this is different. I've watched hours of footage and read thousands of lines of words, and its all making my head spin now!

Everything I have was bought from China (minus the Spektrum DX7 that was sold to me off Kijiji, the AR6100e receiver that I purchased on eBay, and the batteries, that came from the US), motors, ESCs, frame, KK2.1 flight controller, and everything else.

I followed all the instructions to a T, and now I'm at a crucial time - I have everything I need (I think), to get this bad boy off the ground, yet I don't know how to proceed. I'm currently stuck at the part where I must a) connect the flight controller to the receiver, b) bind the receiver and transmitter, c) flash the flight controller (currently says v1.6, and the most recent is v1.9 apparently, so I added that)? d) test everything correctly and e) the maiden voyage.

This is everything that I think is left to do.

Can anyone advise me on how to go from here? Alternatively, if anyone in the Ottawa area sees this, or knows of anyone locally that knows a thing or two about a thing or two, feel free to let me know!

Thanks all!
lookitsross is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24
Re: Building my first multi rotor!

maybe get it flying with the current firmware first. it should work, and get you some successful flying in right away. Beauty of the KK2 board when it came out was it eliminated the need to know how to flash it from a PC, since you can set it up entirely using the onboard interface.

been a couple years since I used a kk2 though. Just need to hook up 5 or 6 channels to the receiver channels, and ensure you have 5 volts (eg BEC) power to the receiver or the KK2. then plug in the 4 motor ESC leads in the order shown by the LCD in quadcopter mode

then there is a whole procedure for PID programming. This can be confusing and messy process. But if you follow the online guides to a T you will have success.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1675613

Now I would have suggested going to a Naze32 board. More modern item with a lot more features and easy to use desktop GUI
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
lookitsross
RCC Noob

I am: Andrew R
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 2

Unfortunately I can't even get it off the ground. I'm finding following binding instructions for the AR6100e and the DX7 more complicated than I assume they need to be.

How does one go about first binding the receiver and transmitter, and then, how does one go about connecting everything?

I'd love to get this off the ground, even without full capabilities, but I can't quite wrap my head around it!
lookitsross is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Andrew, I have helped a lot of people like you.
Not surprisingly, its way easier to talk to someone and point and ask, than it is to ask a question on the internet and hope some guesses your problem correctly and gives you the right info.

For long distance help, a Skype chat and a webcam go a long way.
PM me your Skype contact. maybe we can chat for a few minutes and get you on your way.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
AndreGT6
RCC Noob

I am: Andre Rousseau
Radio of choice:
Turnigy 9X
# of RCs: 10

Andrew I live in Ottawa and fly 3 KK quads.

You can drop me a line if you'd like.

Andre.
AndreGT6 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
build , multi , rotor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in