Questioning remaining in this hobby.... :( - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:19 PM   #11

Total Props: 57
Re: Questioning remaining in this hobby.... :(

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager_663rd View Post
Isn't Futaba 10CAP available now (10 channel & 2.4ghz? or is it 8 channel and 2 ch that are one way?--I'm not up on the terminology in that respect) or shortly will be?

Futaba 10chp (airplane version doesn't seem available for some reason)

As much as I know Chad will love to argue with me over this I won't fly Futaba, I had 3 airplanes go in years ago and Futaba replaced the value of the airplanes with radio equipment because they found it was 100% the fault of their transmitters. Although they made good to me with the value, it was still lost time and energy in airplanes. (one was a Byron Sukhoi, one was a Meridian pattern ship, and the other one was another Meridian pattern ship that THANKFULLY the transmitter failed while on the ground. After 3 strikes, good faith on the companies part or not I was done. I switched to JR and never looked back. Along with that, a module for my JR stuff is far cheaper than buying another transmitter anyway.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55

Well, you would have more time to play with your toaster...
Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #13
Chris W
RCC Apprentice

I am: Chris W

Total Props: 0

lol, this may be heresy but:

if you can't beat 'em join 'em. pick up a nice park flyer, (electric) to keep the sticks sharp. might also have a bit of fun in the process.

i was in the Abbotsford area last summer and i'm quite surprised that you could get out with any of the larger planes at all. seems all the land was residential or farms.

another bet may be to infect a farmer with the bug of the hobby just to get some land for flying off of.

i do understand your woe, i'm not just some @$$ that is heckling.

A hobby (miniatures, not related to RC) that i have been in for well over 20 years has me struggling to want to participate anymore. i guess thats why i picked up the 'lil poke (great planes), and attempting to build a fantrainer (old MAN plans).

anyhoo, just trying to say that all hobbies get boring or hard to get into from time to time, a little R&R might just be the ticket.

have some fun with the Fam, and take a good break. Abbotsford is great in the summer.

take care the hobby blues do go away........ eventually
-Chris

Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

The park flyer worry will be a non issue soon. 99% of the new RTF planes are 2.4. My hobby store has stopped selling 72 stuff. I have no plans to switch, especially with everyone else, including the newbs going 2.4. 72 will be clean as a whistle. The "alarmist talk" about the government taking 72 back any time soon is simply ridiculous . Who would want it? From some of the posts I have read one would think that 72 is wanted by every company on earth. If RCers don't want it why would anyone else. What the heck could anyone else do with it with thousands of rouge tx's out there?

Do what you want, but the whole 2.4 , 72 argument really isn't one.
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies

Last edited by hillmanr2; 05-07-2008 at 08:43 PM.
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #15
RC_MAN
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Peter D
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10

I would go and build that fancy jet that you designed. Scratch building is what keeps me in this hobby.

Peter
Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #16
thuebner
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13

I'm not sure if helis is your bag or not, but if you haven't tried one maybe now is the time. I have only one heli, a Blade cx2. I am first and foremost a glow powered planker, but I bought my Blade used from a fellow at a fun fly and have not regretted it for a minute. This is my only electric rc aircraft and what I really like about it is that it is quite. I can fly in my backyard without disturbing the neighbours, or in my basement without waking the kids. I have made far more use of this simple little heli than any of my planes because it is quick and convienient. For less than $250.00 you could have a heli, 2.4g radio, a couple of spare batteries and a bag full of very inexpensive blades and landing gear. It is a small output of money, in comparison to the type of aircraft you are flying, and if you don't like it then give it away. I'm sure your kids or one of the neighborhood kids would enjoy it.
I am lucky in that living in rural Sask. I have three private runways from which to fly my planes, none of which are more than a 20 min. drive. If I had to drive a couple hundred miles every single time I wanted to fly my plane I would likely give up as well.
Give a heli a try, it's a change of pace, quite, and your backyard is your flying field. Almost sounds like the answer to your funk.
Don't give up flying, just try something new.
Good luck,

Travis
Old 05-08-2008, 10:21 AM   #17

Total Props: 57

Hey Travis,
Yeah, I have one of the coax heli's actually, it's currently broken from a silly crash, but I'll get it back together. As I said, I'm giving it some time, we'll see how it goes, I'm not going to jump overboard and sell everything right away.
The really dissappointing part right now is, after 3 days, and emailing about a dozen clubs, I've heard back from only 2, and both those clubs have waiting lists that aren't shortening up anytime soon. I think for the time being I'll probably join the Mission club and deal with the mountain at the end of the runway, limits the airplanes I can fly there, but it's the closest field and any flying would be better than no flying right now

As for the 2.4/72 argument, I do feel it's valid, while it's true that alot of the new park fliers are coming out in 2.4, there are still many that are 72, and many that will still be around on 72 in the next couple years. I'm not going to switch all my stuff to 2.4, but I think switching the jets is an ok idea, maybe a false sense of security, but there's enough going on with the jets that I don't want to be worrying about one more little thing while flying. If I did get shot down while flying a 15K airplane, I'd beat myself up pretty bad over not spending $300 to switch a transmitter and that jet to 2.4.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

Jeremy, Dude,

You need to get out and smell some Kero instead of those paint fumes you've been inhaling. If you are anything like me, the problem is this crap weather we just seem to be stuck with here on the coast - I'm just plain tired of it. (I wanna say something more emphatic but this is a "family" site.)

I am a member of the WCRCAF club and there are a great bunch of guys I know flying there. We are an open club but have the trees and hours of use issues to deal with. Plus for you, it would be a mother of a drive.... you would CERTAINLY be welcome though.

Suggest you at least make sure you get up to Princeton.

Cheers,

Paul

P.S. looks like I've got a line on a turbine for the Reaction but won't be ready in time for Princeton. I also want to fly my Yak at the IMAC at RCFCBC and it's the same weekend.

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member

Last edited by Pauld; 05-08-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395
Cool Re: Questioning remaining in this hobby.... :(

..... ahhh, not sure why, but this post has me scratching my head?

My instinct is to tell you to suck it up, quit if you want to quit, but don't whine about it here because we all have issues with time, finances and real life balance........

........... However, I do have some observations about many flyers that I have seen fade from the hobby and feel there may be some value in offering a tiny bit of advice.

When you talk of Jets and Pattern ships etc that you can't get excited about, you are telling us that you have evolved over your 25 years to the stage where you fly aircraft that are at an advanced level..........but have essentially entered a "rut". If you can't get excited about what you are building and flying............get rid of what you are building and flying and go back to where you were truely having fun and not seeking approval and attention from other flyers.

...... find a set of plans that you like and build it from scratch. Make sure that it isn't terribly complicated, flys good, is easy to transport and requires a minimum of "fiddle time" at the field. Bash the plans a bit to make it unique. You want something that you can truely call a "sunday flyer".

Once finished, go out and fly for the pure pleasure, lots of lazy 8's, touch and goes, some gentle and easy aerobatics.......(you don't need something that flys like a helicopter)
Remember, that this hobby is about escaping from reality, not adding more pressure to your life.

Most importantly, it's about the hanging out at the field on a sunny day with others who share that basic love of aviation............. sharing a few "war stories" and some laughs.

Get back to the basics and you may find that spark again. Then you can sell off the stuff that no longer interests you to upgrade your radio system.

bla, bla.............that's all I have to say about that.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
Marcel B.
RCC Apprentice

Something makes me wonder...

You complain about "Park fliers", yet state that so many clubs are not ready to accept new members.
Be ready to accept the parkers then if there is only so much room.JMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in