Mini FuntanaX Hover Practice - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
3D - Aerobatics Discuss 3D

Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
dirtdr
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Gerald B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 5
Re: Mini FuntanaX Hover Practice

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
One question with your gyros, do you have to initialize in HH mode? and can you use trims or they have to be at 0 to get good initialization?
Dan
I dont have to do any special initialization. I have my radio set for 2 rates - 5%(rate) and 65% (rate). The HK401 gyros must be controlled by a channel on the radio - there is no gain adjustment on the gyro. Due to this, all 3 gyros have to run on the same settings, unless you have more channels..

Some time should be taken so that the plane is trimmed with 0 on the trim tabs as well as 0 sub-trim (this all has to be done mechanically before gyros are installed.) Once this is done, the airplane flies like a custom built 35%er. This funtana has hit the ground a few times, and the wingtips are all punched in, as well one wing is entirely held on with clear duck tape. Without the gyros, there is INSANE ammount of coupling on everything, with the gyros turned on only 5% or high speed flight, the plane trues itself...Knife edge like nothing... no mixes anywhere in the radio.
Another noticable difference is harriers. the gyros take 90% of the wing rock out of upright harriers.. and hovering... again the gyros smooth things out quite a bit.

I am sold on the whole gyro thing for my small planes.. For $13 I will be for sure putting at least one on all my electrics...

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:07 PM   #12
Chrisfly
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx8
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 2

Quote:
I use gyros for video stabilization on my planes and without them I cannot get good video in the winds we are having...
Dan
Hey Dan

Yeah - single channel and wind-up escapements for all!

Okay, that said.. I have been playing with AP on and off and realize that I need to use gyros if I really want anything worth watching. As yet I have not purchased any, but have my eye on the el cheapos from Hobbyking for obvious reasons!

So a couple of questions for you:
  1. What are you using on your easy?
  2. Do I need switchable or the plain ol' HK401's?

I guess what I am asking is if you use the non-swichable type do they simply stabilize the "attitude" you put the plane in or try to return to level flight / initialization position?

My plan is to finish a dedicated slowstick on which I have individual aileron servos. (Without a y-cable.) I think I will also want to put gyros/son an easy for higher altitude bigger area stuff but may experiment with no ailerons on it?

Thanks

CP
Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Chrisfly

I don't know about these HK 401, I have not used them before, I use the E-Sky cheapo, rate only gyro with manual adjustment, I got a load of them from ebay at $8.00 each. Do not need a channel for control, but for 3d it is useful. I use split ailerons with one gyro for each aileron, I do not bother with elevator but may use rudder gyro on Easy Glider ( has tail wag in the wind )
Easy Star does not need ailerons, only reason I use them, is to stabilize video from rocking in higher winds, still use rudder for steering fairly flat turns.
Dan

Last edited by ddruck; 07-14-2010 at 03:04 PM.
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
dirtdr
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Gerald B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 20+

Quote:
I use the E-Sky cheapo, rate only gyro with manual adjustment, I got a load of them from ebay at $8.00 each.
You you have any extra??? I would like a link from where u got them if they are still available..
Old 07-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Chrisfly
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum Dx8
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdr View Post
You you have any extra??? I would like a link from where u got them if they are still available..
Hey

Firstly Dan - thanks for the info

Dr ... I noticed on ebay they are readily available at low prices ~$10 each. But you have to sift sift through the various options with and without free shipping. So that is my plan - I will let you know how I make out.

Cheers

CP
Old 07-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #16
imported_paintball_kidz
RCC Contributor

I am: tuan d

Total Props: 0

Nice, I just started bringing my 3dhs Slick down low for hovers.
3D Hobby Shop 51" AJ Slick
Parkzone Radian

100% spektrum 2.4ghz

Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/paintballkidz
imported_paintball_kidz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #17
mark_
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mark
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

No flaming from me either...the technology is there so you might as well use it! It would be much worse if you were posting videos of rock solid hovers and didn't tell us that you were using gyros!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in