Maiden Flight Crash - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Scale Helicopters Discuss scale helicopters, tips, tricks and scale construction threads

Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
rookieflyer09
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dino Z
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Maiden Flight Crash

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everyone,

After 3 years we finally finished my Hughes 500 scale build.

We maidened the bird last week and after a few minutes of smooth flying, it crashed. We had a failure of the wood blocks holding the frame in the fuse. It looks like the glue or the delamination failed.
I'm just sick about this after all the work we put into it. The heli looked awesome in the air.

The scale fuse was a Hughes MD500D, the frame is a Trex 600 ESP.
http://www.scaleflying.com/MD500D-Fiber ... p_744.html

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before in other scale bodies?

Now I don't know what to do, should I buy another fuse and start over or convert it back to a pod and boom. I love scale helis.

I live in Calgary and really need a scale heli mentor. I haven't been able to find anyone who builds and flies scale helis in Calgary.

Thanks.
rookieflyer09 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Maiden Flight Crash

Link doesnt work.

Really sad to hear that you lost your bird due to a wood quality problem.

If you dont have anyone nearby to help you the internet is your only option.

A couple of guys here have built some really nice scale machines. You need to not be shy and start asking these guys for opinions as you build via a build thread. Don (Keyrigger) and Peter (Gizmoman) have some nice scale helis. There are many more builders, all can help with your questions.

I would definitely get another one. Start a build thread here and post your progress and questions as you go. Here is an example of a good build thread with lots of postings on the build progress: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=388178

A build thread like the one above is the best way to get the other experienced scale builders to review your build and offer up some suggestions.

Good luck!

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:29 AM   #3
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

http://www.scaleflying.com/MD500D-Fi...ize_p_744.html
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Don I.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

Total Props: 46

First, I am sorry to hear of your crash. They do happen to all of us and you never know when or where it might happen. Some are for the most obscure reasons, others are rather spectacular. I have had a lot of them and yet, I still keep building. I am not too familiar with the Aerodyne kit but have a few comments about the method of putting the main support blocks in with glue, only. It will be a place where the mounting will let go every time.

I would pass this time on the Aerodyne kit and go with a Fun-Key kit as the mounting adaptors are screwed into blind nuts placed under the main floor. There are riser posts that you will secure into place and then your frame directly mounts on those posts. So now, with your new kit, you need to remember what happened just before the chassis tore loose.

The 600E is one of the most popular chassis for the building of scale helicopters out there and the clones are still being made because of the demand for this model. It is notorious for vibrations, especially from the motor. Changing to an updated lower KV motor will cure most of the vibrations very quickly. Resonance is the biggest cause of failure in a model and the large back area of the body is a place where they can easily start.

Methods of dampening can be the inserting of foam blocks in the area behind the chassis, adding a layer or two of extra fibreglass, or putting spray foam in a light layer inside and trimming excess material out. You don't need much as it will stop the body from vibrating. Mounting the upper body can be a pain but when I do mine, I tend to either add wood formers to come down beside the upper chassis or if the chassis is high, cut the installed former so that a cushion of tubing, that I put on the former, makes contact with the frame. This keeps the upper frame positioned but does not transfer additional vibrations to the body.

Get right back at it and enjoy what you started. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
rookieflyer09
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Thanks Max, appreciate the kind words. Crashing is never a fun thing especially after 3 years of work.

I never thought of a build thread, that's a really good idea. The first thing I'm going to do is post pictures of the damage. Hopefully I can get you guys to take a look and make suggestions.

Thanks again,
Dino
Old 06-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
rookieflyer09
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Thanks Don appreciate it.

Where can buy a Fun Key fuselage? This fuse sounds much more secure than the Aerodyne fuse. Basically the wooden base is just balsa wood I think. It really doesn't give you much support at all.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Dino
Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Keyrigger
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Don I.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX-20 and iX-12

Total Props: 46

They can be purchased from Leisure Tech Canada and you can find info on them from orders@leisuretech.ca. You will find a number of my build threads here and there are more from others. You can find a huge amount of tips and info that help you build a much better model and you will be really pleased with the final outcome. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #8
katanakid
RCC Noob

I am: Alexandre
Radio of choice:
JR

good luck
katanakid is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #9
rookieflyer09
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Hey guys,

I've been reading that the Hughes 500 is the worst fuse for vibration.
I'm looking at the FunKey Bell 206 long ranger fuse. What have you guys heard about these two fuses?

I'm also looking to put a stabilization system in this heli. Any recommendations?

I also want to put a new motor in it. I'm running a 13 tooth pinion with a two headed blade. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Dino

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in