how many amps can the castle sv2 handle? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 05-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
SKOTTIE13A5TARD
RCC Apprentice

I am: skot k
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 1
Re: how many amps can the castle sv2 handle?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
ha, well, i got a duratrax evader ext2,cheap but holds up well to impacts, jumps and general rough play. so i figured id go LiPo to get the most out of it. but, could i safely parallel the LiPo's for a longer run-time? or is one 3s the max? (castle sv2 4600kv)
SKOTTIE13A5TARD is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
timsted
RCC Apprentice

I am: Tim S
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 0

parallel just means more runtime, and a bit more punch. geared stockish, you should be able to run until you're bored without heat issues.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
SKOTTIE13A5TARD
RCC Apprentice

im still unsure about the safe mAh and C value for running LiPo.
i have a castle creations sv2 with castle ~4600kv. on a 1/10 duratrax evader. 2.2 rims(standard tires) gears are 88t spur and 18t pinion. and i think the max amps for the ESC is ---- i forget,
hehe, i just tried to look for it before continuing here. but ah. 80? amps? so. i dont want to go over that right?
now. im happy with the speed i get from ninh's so upping that isnt important to me. so...would a lower C value and higher mAh be the right choice? really all i want is longer run time so something along the lines of a 3s 15C 4.4A-5.0A sound about right to you guys?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
timsted
RCC Apprentice

I am: Tim S
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 20+

the c rating will have very very very little effect on runtime. mah is king, get as many as you can afford. after that, get as much c as you want.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #15
SKOTTIE13A5TARD
RCC Apprentice

ok, so tell me if im wrong. my esc can handle 80 amp, so..i was told to basically take my max amp draw (80) and say, divide it by the amount of C value i desire leaving me with the amount of mAh i can safely use, and vice versa. 80A(max esc can handle)/5.0A(5000mAh)=16C. so i would round own to a 15 with the 5000mAh OR 80A(esc limit)/25C=3.2A(3200mAh) is this right? the guy at my hobbie shop told me this. but id rather not cause any damage to my ride if avoidable.
oh, sorry timsted but you didnt comment on whether my 3s 15C 4.4A-5.0A was a good choice for max run time and decent power.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #16
turbonutt
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mark S

don't worry about what C rating or mah rating your battery has unless it's too little, the amp rating is for the motor. You esc will only take what it needs, if it needs 60 amps then it will only draw 60 amps from the battery even if it is capable of supplying 100amps, the battery will not "force" amps out. The amp rating for the esc is what it can supply the motor, if your esc is rated for 80 amps and your motor say draws 120 amps under load then your ESC will smoke! and quick. Long story short, go for the highest mah and C rating you can afford, I run 5000mah 40C's in my SC10 with a sidewinder SCT, which is the SV2. My batteries can supply 200amps if needed. On the flip side, if you run batteries that don't have enough discharge (low mah and C) you will cause damage, over heat the esc and probably puff the battery.

Sorry if I rambled, I haven't finished my morning coffee yet. lol
turbonutt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #17
SKOTTIE13A5TARD
RCC Apprentice

hey turbonut, its all good. that made some good sense. thank you. so basically my LHS guy gave me some mis-information.
and to everyone else who put in their two cents, i thank you as well.

Tags
castle , lipo , sv2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in