Dope Replacement? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #11
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Total Props: 47
Re: Dope Replacement?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Max - that sounds good - what tyoe of WBPU do you use?

and

Where do you get it?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #12
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbair View Post
Hey Guys;

There is a LOT of great information here - but I guess I missed out on a key point...

The plane I'm building is going to have a GAS engine.

How does this affect the materials used?

Will the 'Minwax' hold up?

Should I really contact Airplane Spruce and get some dope? (What is tyhe difference between Nitrate Dope and Butryal Dope)

Can I use thinned down epoxy?

So many questions...
Yup, so many questions - and potential pitfalls - when one strays from long established proven finishing protocols (using off the shelf products sold for other applications, mixing products/brands).

Perhaps, you may want to lay out in greater detail the particular situation/goals you are shooting for. I know, so far, you are attaching silkspan to sheeted balsa and you are using a gas engine. Are there open structures (eg. wings) and, if so, what are you covering them with? What is the size of the plane? etc.
I'm a bit confused about whether smell/toxicity is an issue as you initially mentioned dope is smelly but more recently said perhaps you should use it? Is smell/safe(r) application a deal breaker?

Here is a link to a general article by a fine woodworking professional that may give use some basic language on finishes
http://homesteadfinishingproducts.co...sing-a-finish/

A couple of personal experience observations:

If buying off the shelf clear and color coat finishes, buy the gloss and not the flat or semi-gloss; the level of finished sheen when using gloss can be fine tuned when all the coats have cured by using very fine abrasive media and then waxing.

Diluting epoxy to create a finish media... there are hundreds of formulations of epoxy geared for different/specific applications. I don't think you can confidently expect to dilute an off the shelf generic epoxy for a finishing application. Long ago, Petit mfgr. produced a two part HobbyPoxy line of clear and color finishes for r/c (K&B had "Ultrapoxy") which I used and were great; I don't know if another r/c line of clear/colour coatings has surfaced. Note that Aircraft Spruce has a lot of epoxy finishes. Finishes for marine use are very pricey but superior.

As for gas proofing, there used to be few r/c clear final coat finishes that
marketed for that specific purpose and I again "suspect" they will work on top of any previous finishes as long as those previous coats have been given plenty of time to dry/cure/harden. I have a can of Coverite Glaskote - since discontinued - that I once researched and learnt was a clear polyurethane.

Within the industry, for good answers on what product specifications/applications, I would go to other than big box store paint departments.
I suspect that the people at Aircraft Spruce know their stuff well.
I recently needed to buy some toluene so I finally went to my local Sherwin-Williams outlet (Benjamin Moore likely would have been another option) and was pleasantly surprised that they could answer all of my questions - or find the answer - and would special order for me just about any chemical/product in their huge catalog and have in the store in a few days. Plus, once you get on their emailing list I regularly get discount offers which offsets their higher prices.

good luck,
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbair View Post
Max - that sounds good - what tyoe of WBPU do you use?

and

Where do you get it?
Hi Rob. I use Flecto Verathane. Its just what I happened to find when I went to home depot (I think..or was it home hardware?) I was looking for something that would give a hard finish and non yellowing. So this was the best I found when I compared what was in the store.

So far I have been very pleased with the results of this WBPU. It doesn't stink and cleans up with water. BONUS!

I think I paid about 30 some odd bucks for a gallon, and that was over 4 or 5 years ago and I still have 1/2 gallon left. I have already covered so many models and parts, it was worth the cost. Lately, people have told me that a gallon costs a lot more. You don't need a gallon unless you have a huge project. A pint or a quart might do depending on the size of your model.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Verathane.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	496802  

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #14
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 18

I also covered my Norseman with Darcon fabric, Polycrylic and latex paint, it is Gas powered.(G20) The oily residue that spits out all over the bottom of my plane (just like a real norseman btw!) has had no ill effects on the paint that I can see, or care about. However, this is no Top Gun model. Now, unlike Max, I had bad luck for some reason with the Varathane stuff. I used this stuff....
I bought it in a quart sized can at Home Hardware, about $15 if I remember right.
Again, i have no clear coat over my Latex paint, with a gas engine.
This stuff is just used to attach the fabric to the wood, and to fill the weave of the fabric for painting. Latex is the obvious choice when using this stuff, as its all water based for easy clean-up and no stink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minwax-polycrylic-protective-finish.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	496882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0304.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	496906  
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

Hey Bruce! I have a little bit of stits left and some ultra-light fabric if you wanted to try it.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in