General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
pipercub
RCC Apprentice

I am: Robert B

Total Props: 0
New Field requirements

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi All…

I’m interested in how clubs are dealing with the new field requirements as they apply, in particular to pilot stations. What types of barrier arrangement are you using? Are they portable or fixed? How are you addressing it if you have the luxury of two or more runways? Pictures of your field set up would be cool.
Our club is in the process of trying to comply and we are having a bit of trouble coming up with solutions that fit our budget, and please at least some of our members. I’m sure others are wrestling with this one also. We sure could use some insight from those of you that have already crossed that bridge and slain that dragon.

Thanks ….. Bert
pipercub is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #2
green@3D
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian R

Quit flying at a chartered Club!! LOL
Our club is putting up permanent fixtures as well as portables (used at other flying sites and demos)
Does anyone else think the new rules are a little "much" I know more of my flying time will be spent flying away from the club site, too bad really. I know other people have mentioned the same thing. I guess we will get used to it eventually.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:23 AM   #3
IAN GUNN
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Ian G

Total Props: 1
new field regs

This is quickly going to take on the argument of helmets for motocycles,bicycles and hockey.Guys,it's simple,the barriers are there to supply some sort of protection or get out of the way time for out of control models on take offs or landings.I have seen them work and keep people from getting injured.
The seperation from the pilots stations to the flight line is another kettle of fish.Years ago our club and I think MAAAC did to,had a rule that any low level passes had to be called/announced and had to be done on the outside of the cerntre of the runway.With 3D flying becoming more popular and possibly people flying in to close,I think this kind of rule/guide line is needed.
For those who feel it's "a bit much",remember,MAAC is trying to have everyone create as safe an envirenmont to enjoy the hobby and not loose fields due to the "it will never happen to us" attitude.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
IAN GUNN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:41 AM   #4
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Donovan R

Morning Bert

We use waist high cedar trees for our safety barrier with a number of gaps for movement of models onto or off the flying field.

http://ca.geocities.com/rrcf01/

cheers
Don Dow
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:03 AM   #5
mustang man-rcu
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Steve B.
Radio of choice:
JR, PCM-10, JR, XP-8103

When our club first initiated the use of barriers 4 or 5 years ago, I was very uncomfortable standing behind them while flying. To my surprise it only took a few flights before they seemed to vanish from my field of vision. Now I feel uncomfortable when I fly at a field that does not have pilot barriers. Like Ian, I have seen what barriers can do to prevent injuries. Our barriers are made using the plastic fencing that some call contruction fencing and are framed with plastic pipe about 2" in diameter. They are portable and only weigh a few pounds. I have noticed that at some fields they use barriers that are positioned on each side of the pilot station with nothing directly in front of the station but ours are "V" shaped and the two sides are joined at the front and held together by nylon wire ties that some call "Zap straps". Pilot barriers are , in my opinion cheap insurance toward preventing injuries and I am glad to see their use encouraged. There are some photos of our clubs barriers on our website www.highcountryflyers.homestead.com. Click on the fun sacle button.

Steve

To see my gallery on RC Universe click the link below
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ry&memid=52877
mustang man-rcu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

very effective and cheap is 4 ft plastic snow fencing strung on any kind of pole,even saplings cut out of the bush if your club is really strapped financially.
String it the length of the flight line and Leave gaps to carry or wheel the model through after you start up in the pits.
I remember one board director doubting this stuff would be effective so I asked him to try to tear some next time he saw it ..........and you know the result
It has the affect of catching a runaway model and balling it up in the fencing usually without damage to the model unless it hits one of the poles.Swim pool noodles or water pipe insulation can take some of the sting out of the damage if the model does hit a pole.
Most clubs in this part of Ontario use one or another version of this basic idea and sad to say I have seen models stopped from ending up in the pits many times.
This set up will catch and hold a full blown 100" gas powered model with ease.............ask me how I know!
Depending how you do the installation and how long your field is the cost for this basic method can be <100$
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:45 AM   #7
Sideslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by green@3D
Does anyone else think the new rules are a little "much" I know more of my flying time will be spent flying away from the club site, too bad really. I know other people have mentioned the same thing. I guess we will get used to it eventually.
Yes! After last years new rule of minimum 18" fencing, our club spent a fair buck putting in new, very fancy, pilot gates that are 2.5' high... at a cost of about $600. One year later they change the rule to minimum 3 feet high for all fencing.

I really don't see how fencing of any height is going to deal with a plane in flight, and if the plane is rolling on the ground, 18" is more than adequite.

The bottom line is that if people are not paying attention to what is going on at the field, no amount of safety measures will gaurantee their safety. A campaign to stress the importance of paying attention would have done more to improve safety than adding 6" to a fence does.

Proposed changes to the MAAC safety rules should really be published a year in advance, and be given a year of vetting by the membership before the Safety Committee and Board rules on their adoption. This constant changing of rules and reversing of decisions is so Mickey Mouse.
Sideslip is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:07 AM   #8
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

The great majority of the into the pits incidents happen on landing and takeoff and 18" of fencing is virtually useless to stop a model on the verge of flight,they tend to cartwheel over a low barrier,and I have seen that happen several times..
People tend to step over these low barriers and trip on them too..

I like the four foot snow fence solution for these reasons.
I agree "paying attention" is critical and I like spotters with flyers.

I like the vetting idea for major changes like this too.........

maybe we should use that procedure for other upheaval happenings like major changes to the constitution.,or the proxy system for AGM voting,No shot intended.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
Jabba
RCC Expert Contributor

I'm the field manager for our club and we JUST installed them on Sat.

We made 5 of them.

they are just a little over 3 feet high
and are 4 feet long with a 2 foot piece in the middle of the V shape.

Total cost for the pipe, connectors, and fence was around $300.00.
The fence comes in a 50 foot rolls which did not quite do all of them.

here is a pictures of them up at the field.

the 2 foot piece inthe middle was add to give room for 2 people, (pilot, spotter- or student, instructor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pilotstands_101.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	8525  
Old 04-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #10
mustang man-rcu
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Steve B.
Radio of choice:
JR, PCM-10, JR, XP-8103

Very similar to the one's we use Mr. Johnson. We also have straight barriers that run in between the stations and at each end of the pilot station area.

Steve

To see my gallery on RC Universe click the link below
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ry&memid=52877
mustang man-rcu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in