Foam wings made too easily - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11
Foam wings made too easily

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys,

My web master came over the other night and wanted some wings cut for a very high speed flying wing and gave me this pink extruded foam to use. He informed me that he's going to bag it to get the mirror finish, etc, etc. But then I quickly notice that the pink foam was slightly heavier in weight and very very hard.
Advised me that it's commercial use is for flooring in buildings where they lay this foam down first and then pour concrete over it.
Well, it cuts beautifully with the hot wire, but the CNC wire moves it at 1.25 mm/sec so it takes awhile to cut his wings. However, the end product is simply great. Yeah, it's a bit heavier, but then, no balsa sheeting, just some .75 oz cloth for a finish.
For the bigger jets, I would do a bit more of course to get some extra stiffness, but carbon would do that easily.
I'm picking up some of this stuff tomorrow and making the wings for my F-18 that I'm "slowly" designing. I now have the power system, the new AP-1200, things for this plane are actually moving along. If the wing works out, the construction of the kit will be a lot quicker. Also, the cost will be less as the balsa covering for the wings and the tail feathers won't be needed, which is a bonus.......
Stay tuned for the progress, oh yeah, the foam that we normally get from Home Depot or Rona is either 200 or 300 rated, this stuff is 600.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
gbruce
RCC Apprentice

I am: G.Bruce

Total Props: 0
HI John

What is the stuff called?? and where would one find it??

Bruce
gbruce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in