RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss nitro RC vehicles

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
CarLuKe
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Advice / Suggestions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello All,

I'm still very new to this hobby and have been having some trouble with my new car.

I bought a used HPI RS4 18ss locally and have had nothing but trouble. My first time out the glow plug popped out apparently due to stripped threads in the heatsink head. So i sent that off to CF Lee and had it fixed. After 4 weeks it came back and was in excellent shape.

I had a hell of a time trying to get the engine started and then next on my second time out the wire for the throttle servo got caught in the throttle linkage and was pulled apart and at the same time the JR receiver shorted out and died!!

So i went to the local hobby store and purchased a new Hitec aggressor radio, receiver and a throttle servo, installed them and took it our for a run.

Now i am running in to some sort of interference. I can't drive the car more than a few feet away from me before the connection cuts out and i have no control. And then when i do have control of the car, the throttle servo twitches and i can move the car forward!
And to top it off now I have broken the pull start!

So my question is this. With all the problems that I am having should i just scrap/sell this car and start over or keep trying. I was considering getting a new engine(rotostart instead of pullstart) instead of fixing the starter. But what do I do about the interference and radio problems?

I just want to take the car out and run it once with no problems! I've had it over 3 months and only had 10 mins of good running time!
CarLuKe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
lil joe
RCC Contributor

Re: Advice / Suggestions

Sorry to hear bout the problems, my first nitro caused me a headache or 2. It just takes time and read lots of forums for knowledge. Do you run by any hydro lines, bussinesses, cell phone towers or any other sort of stuff. I would reccommend trying diff places and see if your still having radio probs and if so you my have got a DUD receiver or radio. Be sure there is no breaks or kinks in you ant wire also. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.
lil joe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
motomadd
RCC Noob

i've had problems with radio interference because of steel "buzz", that's where metal vibrates against metal and creates radio interference signals believe it or not,lol

check your exhaust connection, that's the most common point for steel to vibrate together, if not, give the whole car a once over and if you can't find something metal and loose and vibrating against other metal, i would take the radio back if possible and get a spectrum radio (the DX 2.0's are pretty cheap now)..... i've had one for 2 years now and have never had a glitch no matter where i run
hang in there, you'll get it

moto
motomadd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
CarLuKe
RCC Noob

Any suggestions on how I can reduce the interference on the radio?

It seems to do it even out of the car?
CarLuKe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
motomadd
RCC Noob

if you can't return it to where you got it, i would crack open the receiver and make sure the wire soldered to the circuit board hasn't come undone..... past that i'm not really good with the electronics end of things

moto
motomadd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in