Help with old gummed up engines.... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
Sherlock
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Kenny S

Total Props: 1
Help with old gummed up engines....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Any tricks or secrets in getting my old Tmaxx 3.3 and Revo 3.3 going after sitting for 2+ years.... They aren't seized... but definitely are gummed up as the easy start can barely turn them over.

Worse case is I take them apart and clean them... but if I had that kind of time they wouldn't have sat for 2years! Just curious if any one has some easier tips, suggestions to get them running.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110
Re: Help with old gummed up engines....

Soak them in fuel or just alcohol. But I would take them apart as there is good possibility there is corrosion on bearings after sitting that long.

If you don't mind taking a crap shoot, I have always got them freed up after soaking.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
RMLS6
RCC Apprentice

I am: Bob
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

You can't go wrong with letting them soak in WD40. If you have a good idea there is corrosion inside there really isn't a fast way to remove it. Take apart the engine and clean it properly, it will pay off in the long run!
RMLS6 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

WD40 leaves a gummy deposit when it dries up. Us automatic transmission oil as an after run oil. It will also clear out the gummy deposits from old fuel

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
flytoit
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: John S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 20

An old timer at the club in Texas boils them in automotive antifreeze with what appears to be good results . I have not personally tried it but just passing on his method .
flytoit is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
Sukhoi 68
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Scott
Radio of choice:
Futaba 16SZ
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 29

I've used the boiling antifreeze method with great success! Make sure you use a pot that will only be used again for this purpose......

Scott

MAAC 23964
MAAC DZD Alberta, Scale Committee CH
NWSAM Alberta Rep.
Edmonton Radio Control Society (ERCS)

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87

I haven't had much success trying to clean gummed up bearings, for the amount of time I've spent trying to clean them its quicker to change them. I did get one bearing real clean but when I spun it I could still feel some thing on the balls. I'm sure the first run and the bearing would be finished. They must be smooth when you spin them. I've used the antifreeze boil for stained mufflers and headers and it works great, but I've read not to put any O rings or rubber seals in the boil. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #8
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytoit View Post
An old timer at the club in Texas boils them in automotive antifreeze with what appears to be good results . I have not personally tried it but just passing on his method .
This is exactly what I do with an old gummed engine. Pull the back plate off, take the glow plug out, put in a small pot just big enough for the engine. Submerge it in antifreeze. Add 10% water. Put it on a stove OUTSIDE or a garage with the door OPEN. The "steam" coming from the pot is poisonous folks. When it starts to boil, turn the heat to a steady boil just above simmer. Set your watch timer for 15 minutes. You can go longer if you want BUT ... the water will be boiled off and the engine is there cooking in 100% AF. The temperature will go up by quite a bit once the water is gone! Bee extreemely careful at this point has you have hot glycol (AF) which can burn your skin and can burn flame.

Put some heat gloves on and have an old tooth brush at the ready. Pull the engine out with pliers. Go over it with toothbrush. This will make the exterior nice and shiny. It is amazing how easily all that varnish just wipes off. Dunk it back in a few more times as you clean it up.

Next turn the engine over gently indexing. 90 deg foward, 45 deg back. Keep doing that until it is nice and loose and turns freely.

Next take it all apart, carb off, head off, piston and liner out etc etc. Put back in the bath and cook for another 15 minutes.

Take the pieces out and hit them with the toothbrush. Clean them all up. Drop them in a bucket of warm water and swish around to rinse away the AF.

Finally, dry it all as best you can with paper towels. Put all the parts in a pie pan and put in the oven at 220 F for about half out .... to dry them all out completely.

Get that after run out, I use marine gear oil, and oil up all the parts. Put the engine back together and go have fun.

If your bearings are gummed or carb is gummed or seized, this will work and give you an as new engine again. If your bearings are more than gummed and rusted, you have a 50:50 chance that it is only surface rust in which case the AF cooking treatment will break it up and you have good bearings to go.

If I have an engine that has been neglected a long time, this is the treatment it gets as step one. From there, it will be obvious what is salvageable and what needs to be replaced.

Hope that helps! Each to their own.
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
Helidar
RCC Apprentice

I am: dar j
Radio of choice:
spektrum
# of RCs: 25

alittle engine clean and then after run let it sit turn it by hand with the glow out
Helidar is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in