Safe Hand Launching of Electrics - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163
Safe Hand Launching of Electrics

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Our club currently does not have a policy/rule for the hand launch of aircraft. Common sense seems to be the strategy but, of course, it's not so common.

Typically, they are launched from the pilot's station out towards the runway depending of course on wind direction.

Due to a recent rash of near misses (3 in the last 2 weeks) at our club where the launch has been botched, the aircraft stalled, changed direction and flown out of control back into the pits/ starting/ spectator area to end in a crash.... I'd like to find out what the prefered/ safe strategy is for hand launch of electric aircraft/foamies etc.

Although small and light, these things can hit with a surprising wallop, especially when the pilot is panicked and it goes in a full bore!

i am concerned about someone being hit and to a lesser extent, having my aircraft taken out while parked on the ground

Mike

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
Xanadu
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
JR, DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Re: Safe Hand Launching of Electrics

The clubs I have visited, you are allowed to hand launch from the runway area, away from the pilot area. You must have a spotter with you to help guide you while you while you walk backwalks so you can keep your eyes on your plane, and complete cooperation of all others on the flight line allowing you to launch while at the runway. No flybys, runway approaches, etc are allowed during hand launching. Verbal notice is required by the hand launching party warning/asking others of the impending launch. Consideration is given to those whom require this approach, and usualy well recieved unless a turbine is flying. Those have priority over all others due to the speed, etc.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
reo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron O.

Total Props: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu View Post
The clubs I have visited, you are allowed to hand launch from the runway area, away from the pilot area. You must have a spotter with you to help guide you while you while you walk backwalks so you can keep your eyes on your plane, and complete cooperation of all others on the flight line allowing you to launch while at the runway. No flybys, runway approaches, etc are allowed during hand launching. Verbal notice is required by the hand launching party warning/asking others of the impending launch. Consideration is given to those whom require this approach, and usualy well recieved unless a turbine is flying. Those have priority over all others due to the speed, etc.
better yet, IF you are using a spotter or have a helper, have HIM do the launch for you while you handle the radio....pretty well does away with the unwanted aerobatics on launch, especially with the high performance fast stuff....R
reo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

Thanks for the feedback fellows, it's along the same lines as what I thought would be a safer approach however, one of my fellow board members with a lot of MAAC experience thought there may be an insurance concern with allowing people on the runway to launch.

Any thoughts on this, I guess I may have to ask MAAC for clarification?

Mike
Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Underhand is easier in most cases
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Xanadu
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
JR, DX7
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyrc View Post
Thanks for the feedback fellows, it's along the same lines as what I thought would be a safer approach however, one of my fellow board members with a lot of MAAC experience thought there may be an insurance concern with allowing people on the runway to launch.

Any thoughts on this, I guess I may have to ask MAAC for clarification?

Mike
I have seen loads of clubs that allow members on the runway to takeoff, as not all are able to do it from the side lines due to inexperiance.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #7

Total Props: 57

Probabhly no need to ask MAAC as the person is required to assist in launghing the airplane, as long as all field rules and procedures are followed for announcing the launch and ensuring that everyone knows that there's a person on the field/runway.

In tonight's launch, the pilot remained at the station while the launcher went out on the field and lunched towards the corner of the field, away from everyone -- essentially a quartering lauch 45 degrees off of the wind direction so the wind sould tend to take the plane further away from the pits and spectators. After launching, the helper immediately cleared the runway.

Unfortuantely, the flight ended less successfuly with the plane landing on a diagonal rather than straight down the runway and finding the windsock pole.....
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #8
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrocat View Post
...and finding the windsock pole.....
MAGNETS I tell you!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
adaptabl
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dave D

We launch away from the pilots stations at ether end of the field. Since we have both an E-W and N-S runway we can always launch away from the pilots stations.

A couple of weeks ago I was at another field and saw someone launch a 60 sized nitro high speed plane about 10' away from the pilots station right in front of the other pilot stations. It could of been a disaster since this particular planes takes a few seconds to build up enough speed to gain control. Both the pilot and launcher were very skilled but things do happen. Even the smaller electrics could cause a serious accident if not respected.

Last edited by adaptabl; 07-12-2012 at 02:23 PM.
adaptabl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Total Props: 57

It's really all about risks -- take the approach that ensures that everyone is as safe as possible. I like the idea of launching from the extreme pilot station and away from everyone. Ths is, if the wind is from the right, then you're using the extreme right-hand location and the plane is directed into the extreme far-right-hand corner of the runway.

The last day that I was at the field, we had only a couple of people at the field and only one person flying |(the hand-launch). Plane was launched half-way out on the runway and going away from the flight line, even though he was using the middle pilot station (have five). Later hand-launches were done similarly.

If in doubt about the skills of the pilot or the plane, take all precautions possible. If plane has proven performance, pilot as well, then adjustments can take place. One pilot with lots of experience and a good airplane stepped in front of his station, fired the plane out and across the runway, and stepped behind the barrier.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in