New heli advice?! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: New heli advice?!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptek View Post
Thanks guys, after reading this, ill go with a 450 but i only want to spend around $300 so seeing as that wont go far, what do you suggest?
Ooo... Tough.

The experienced heli fliers here will all say the same thing. You get what you pay for.

If all you have is 3 bills, you have to acknowledge that you wont get a heli that is as tight, responsive or reliable.

You have to decide whether you are willing to settle for an inferior clone. Mind you, some arent that bad, but they just dont compare to a better quality heli.

So you must decide- Save a little longer for something better, or buy something not as good but good enough, knowing that it will not fly as good as the brand name stuff.

there is also the option of a used heli- but you have to be careful. You can find a real good deal for a great price. Or you could pay too much for a piece of crap. You never know what you get with used stuff. Some are 9's and others are 3's dressed as 9's

Here's my story of a used Align 450. Got it for a good price. I saved about $150 over the price of a new one.
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=203605

But this one needed just a little tweaking. Now it rocks!. I was lucky. I had the ability to recognise the little tweaks it needed. You might not. That's what I mean when I am talking about when you buy used. On the flip-side, a friend bought a Brand new 450 DFC complete kit for $150 more. All new parts, he built it and if flies amazing, almost a year now and he never so much as put a scratch on it.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
Droptek
RCC Apprentice

I am: Lucas
Radio of choice:
Futaba 4PK
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
Buy a sim
I have phoenix 5
Droptek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 PM   #13
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Quote:
I have phoenix 5
Practice with that then for a bit, save some $$ and buy a good flying heli. Align makes a heli kit now that has a radio and its RTF out the box. I've seen one and they fly awesome too!

Here's a link to the kit i'm talking about,

http://www.alignrccdn.com/index.php/...-450-plus.html
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #14
Droptek
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 4PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
Practice with that then for a bit, save some $$ and buy a good flying heli. Align makes a heli kit now that has a radio and its RTF out the box. I've seen one and they fly awesome too!

Here's a link to the kit i'm talking about,

http://www.alignrccdn.com/index.php/...-450-plus.html
Wow looks good, i dont need a rtf though, i would just buy a spektrum receiver to use my dx6i on, and its also way out of price range, im only 14 and it would probably be another five months before i have that money
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #15
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
DS-16

Quote:
Wow looks good, I don't need a rtf though, i would just buy a spektrum receiver to use my dx6i on, and its also way out of price range, i'm only 14 and it would probably be another five months before I have that money
Oh they have other ones that are BNF look on the site.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #16
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
Dx7s
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12

I genuine used align 450. Newer of course. Check classifieds.
Blade 130X
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:34 AM   #17
Tr4ckryder
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: JB
Radio of choice:
JR XG8
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 2

for the money that you want to spend you need to ask yourself if you can afford to fly a helicopter of that size right now

you get what you pay for in this hobby

does that $300 budget include batteries, charger, or any of the other items you need to get started?

$300 won't get you much even if its used. your first crash will likely cost $50-100 depending on what gets damaged. if $300 is already tight for you then even a 450 will likely be beyond your budget to maintain.

i would take a look at owning a blade mcpx or ncpx and a simulator (which you have already) to start with as they are far more durable and will give you many hours of enjoyment until you can afford to own and operate a larger bird. they will teach you how to fly a collective pitch without breaking the bank
Tr4ckryder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
tporter416
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Tom P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 13

I agree with Jared, the mcpx is discontinued but it taught me so much about flying collective pitch. I flew mine over grass and after most crashes was able to just take off again. The nano cpx would be a really good way to go as far as your first collective pitch heli. The mcpx bl is a bit too twitchy as a first collective pitch heli so would stick with the nano...

Tom
SAB Goblin Kraken, SAB Goblin 500, SAB Goblin 420, Oxy 2, 180 Fusion, mCPX BL, mCPX BL2, nano CP S, Freewing F-14, FMS Rafale, Freewing F-5N, Freewing BAE Hawk, FMS F-18, A-10, GP Super Sportster, P-39, Spitfire Mk.IX 1200mm, Dogfighter, FMS F-35, FW F-18, E-Max 250 Quad
tporter416 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:52 PM   #19
Droptek
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 4PK

so ive had a couple offers from guys on the forum whom have offered me a 500 3d so i think thats what i will end up buying, but the ideas and over all helpful advice from you guys has been awesome and i am so happy with this forum i will definitely stick around for some time to come, thanks for all the help on my first post!!

-Lucas
Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #20
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
DS-16

Quote:
so ive had a couple offers from guys on the forum whom have offered me a 500 3d so i think thats what i will end up buying, but the ideas and over all helpful advice from you guys has been awesome and i am so happy with this forum i will definitely stick around for some time to come, thanks for all the help on my first post!!

-Lucas
make sure it's not a china clone! is it a Trex 500 ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in