Drilling airholes in rims? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #11
Nitro Flash

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Most racers are putting 4 holes in the tire tread area. The extreme centrifugal force of the tire spinning at speed throws most of the water and dirt out of the tire where as with the holes drilled in the rim the centrifugal force tries to force dirt into the wheels. I have found that even with small holes in the rim a lot of dirt finds its way into the foam. The larger monster truck tires do not get sufficient venting from just 2 small holes. The holes in the tire are made with a small leather punch. Sealing the holes in predrilled wheels with a round of tape before gluing the tries on. I'm going to try venting the tires this time and see how it goes.
Nitro Flash is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
imported_rcguy
RCC Master Contributor

LG with the hole in the tread, the water will still exit the rim... its called "physics"... I know it may not all leave, but most of it will... and how much water do you plan on picking up anyway?

I guess if you dont want holes in your tread, dont do it... but if you want balanced tires all around... do the hole in tread method...
Axial SCX10
Hpi baja 5b
Tamiya Mini m03
26cc 70" phantom boat
:IDEA:
imported_rcguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
joeparent
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Joeparent

well I guess I don't know what I'm talking about then
been racing for a long time and let me say..my tires don't ware out faster because of the holes in the tires...actual the tires I use come from the the factory like this....I guess I need to go back to school then.
sorry if I mislead anyone...LOL!!!
joeparent is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #14
JordanAK
RCC Pro Contributor

What a joke ! I don`t know if Proline still says put holes in rims or they come that way from this world class company, that is the dorkiest thing to do ! I would rather have rocks in my head than holes in my 8th scale buggy rims !
Just stop and think about what is happening when there are holes in the rims. The tires constantly breath in and out as they go over bumps, right ?
So, when the inside of the rim has dust or dirt build-up, and the centrifugal force is forcing the dirt OUT and there is the constant sucking through the holes where the dirt is sitting... Where is the dirt going to go ?
The dirt is going to work it`s way into that stupid hole and be forced right through your lovely foam and slowlly fill the tire with DIRT ! The dirt will eventually be happy against the inside wall ! Just like that ride at the FAIR !
Remember that ride called the "Tilt A Whirl"... anyone ? yer the dirt, try lifting your head when the thing is spinning.

Check the other "Pro" forums. Some put 3, Some put 4 small holes in the outside in the center equally spaced around the tire.

I have seen tires go ROCK HARD when the holes are in the rims ! Nice !

How is the water going to "Get Out" if the hole is in the rim ? Never will ! Rot ! Out of balance waste of money ! Done !

I have had wet foam with holes in the tires, no problem, lightly blow out the moisture with an air hose after a few blips of the throttle and let them dry in the sun, they`ll be `ok and not be out of balance too.

Hey, this is only My opinion maybe ask Dave Henry ? I know what he does.
2010 & 2009 RC Pro Nitro Buggy Champion, Ont.
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
JordanAK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #15
JordanAK
RCC Pro Contributor

Hey Gramps, Just in case You missed the first post I put a second one ! Lol !

You ever race 8th scale Buggies ?
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
Old 04-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #16
imported_rcguy
RCC Master Contributor

i agree with joeparent and JordanAK... holes in the tread... not in the rim...
Axial SCX10
Hpi baja 5b
Tamiya Mini m03
26cc 70" phantom boat
:IDEA:
imported_rcguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #17
JordanAK
RCC Pro Contributor

And let me tell Ya another thing ! If anyone has those stupid proline rims or any other rim with holes ! Cover them up with a good tape ! Or anything ! Put the holes in the tire ! Don`t worry it`ll be OK ! Like Joe said, they`ll wear out before anything bad decides to crawl in there and set up home !
Go look at your buddy that has the wild vibrating wheels and see if he has holes in the rims ? Might be the problem ?
I was at RC Niagara last summer racing 8th scale with Martin Petrie, he had a nice set of Pre-Mounted Crime Fighters that were So Badly wobbling, I looked at the stupid things and there are holes in the rims ! * ! I put holes in the tires and worked a Sheet load of dirt out of the things and then covered the rim holes with tape ! And that is only one experience !

Power robbing ill handling beast ! Martin is a Great driver but to overcome something this bad is almost impossible !

Oh, and check out my snowmobile video too ! Lol !
Jordan
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #18
Jay C.
RCC Expert Contributor

Oh my...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #19
LosiGramps

Exclamation

Hmm, physics. Water will spread out into foam, making it hard for any force to remove it (aside from the old tire squeeze), which is why when you clean up a spill at home, a sponge is great, holds the liquid.

Most sponge inserts (unless you really stretched the thing and then if that happened, it's pretty useless), fit right UP against the rim, as snug as possible (to avoid clumping and causing hard spots, you know, for consistancy). If dirt is passing through your foam insert, it's time for a replacement. I've removed my offroad (1/10th scale) tires off of broken rims (with holes in them) and only a mild dot where the hole in the rim was noticable on the foam. A light tap and a mild dust cloud (really mild, like a wisp), it was gone. As for water, not since the semi-neumatic tires were on the cars, did I ever have a wobbly tire due to water with rims having holes. Now it's not saying water cannot get INTO these tires through the rim holes. And if it does, then chances are, your track has a puddle and it should be properly maintained. You shouldn't run your RC in an environment that'd cause that kind of mess. Sure it may be fun, but if this is at a track, take a moment and fix it. I doubt any track official will get mad at you for fixing something wrong.

So if you think tire sizes make much difference (1/10, 1/8, 1/4, etc), you're basically incorrect. As the forces applied to the tire while it's rotation doesn't change except for the amount of mass and speed. If your tire gets water in it, there's something really wrong with the glue job of the tire to the rim (and anyone who's lost a tire off of a rim partially during a major race will agree, it's not fun when that happens).

Martin P. is an excellent driver, yes. I have some of his old Losi stuff. He's like the rest of us, he has his bad days. I've seen Dave Henry have bad days too. What works on one track doesn't on another, then the experiment phase comes into play (we all do it) and sometimes, the choice made is worse than wanted.

If you're happy with holes and water in your tires during racing, that's fine, but for those who use the rim holes and make sure their foam inserts are snug and centered, won't have much troubles. Besides, getting water out of them isn't that hard. Tire warmers are great for that (or just lay them on the dash of your car in the sun with all the windows up, between rounds).

Gramps.
LosiGramps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #20
LosiGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanAK
You ever race 8th scale Buggies ?
Driven, yes, raced, no. Didn't really see the appeal of the 8th scale, somewhat like racing 1/10 scale sedan (4 wheel), somewhat, after driving 2 wheel for so long, 4 wheel kind of took away some of the fun. Although that 4 wheel donut was fun, except for the owner who was getting mad at me for doing it. I've driven larger than 1/8th, just don't know the scale of the truck I was driving. Might have been 1/5th or 1/6th. Oh, did get to drive a 1/4 scale dune buggy. Now that was cool.

Gramps.
LosiGramps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in