DLG/HLG Gliders Thread - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dan D.
Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Total Props: 5
Re: DLG/HLG Gliders Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I still have to build that one, good video, he also has the maiden video. The Versus, to me, is the most inexpensive 'real' DVD available today at $230 something, landed in Canada with real DLG performance. It is a copy of TopSky1, some say HK has it made by them.

Just to throw in my point, good build, but if I never had a DLG before, what is missing is basic generic radio setup between that video and the Maiden, just showing what stick is setup for what on this model, why and what presets or flight modes are necessary to make this model fly successfully.
Dan
ddruck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

If anyone needs good little DLG servos I found
Power HD DSM44 Slim Digital Metal Gear Servo- 6gm, 1.2 kg, .09/sec
$9.49 US at http://www.alofthobbies.com/
I bought 8 of these, one had bad pot and was changed. All feel tight, center well, pretty consistent on my own test.
I also use their KST wing servos in my big gliders, great for their price.
They ship very fast and easy to deal with.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #23
B.Welwood
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

Total Props: 1

Dan, those servos look pretty good, certainly worth a try considering the price.
I've ordered some of these to try, specs don't look too bad...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27163

Bob.
B.Welwood is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Bob , those look good too, these are metal gear which I like. Sometimes those landings on full down flaperons are tough. I have 2 of them in a Gentle Lady tail holding up well.
Dan
Old 11-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #25
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff C

Total Props: 3

Let me add a bit here.

Setting up servos as Dan asked is pretty simple but some attention to details should be taken.
The radio should be turned on and all trims at neutral, check that the direction is proper as well. Then set the servo arm perpendicular to the servo as best you can.
On the video posted one mistake the fella made was gluing in the control horns. The hole for the horn should be directly over the fold line in the live hinge for all else to be equal. He had them set back to far.Also . On the servo control horn the ultimate set up is to have the hole as close to the center of the servo as you can while still achieving the desired amount of throw at the control surface. The resolution will be much better. If the gear train has a lot of slop and the outer hole is used on the servo horn the slop will be greater at the control surface. Sloppy control rods and the associated hardware translate into lower launches and wasted energy. Stiff booms [unlike the virus] make for even higher launches
When the servo horn and control horns are as I suggested then radio programs can take care of any deviations you might want to travel throws be it one way or the other.

A common radio set up for DLGs makes the use of flight phases so for example a 3 way switch will be used to each area of flight. Launch might see the flapperns being reflexed slightly [UP] with perhaps a bit of rudder as well. The next phase might be cruise phase, a phase that is used to scout for thermals at a average speed. The next phase might be for thermalling where a small amount a chamber is added to slow the stall speed and decrease the sink rate while climbing in a thermal.
AGAIN, The tx can manage sticks for different assignments. Some guys want their flaps on a stick so they are fully proportional . Others might also put flaps on a switch for a landing mode. The possibilities are endless really.
A few points about servos.
Cheap servos are just that. Cheap! Never do you need a better servo than with a DLG, Save the cheap servos for foamies and indoor flyers.

Precise centering is especially important for the pitch . A stiff gear train is need for the rudder. Metal gears are almost always sloppy compared to nylon gears. Metal gears are obviously stronger but more likely to flutter on a hard launch.

With DLG flying if you consider the challenge of catching thermals down low and the lack of needing extra gear like ESC and motors I strongly encourage you to buy good servos. Paying attention to details is what makes a successful soaring pilot
takeoffeh is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #26
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

So Jed what would you consider good servos for DLG.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor

For wing servos you are limited because of the thickness of the wings but their are a few goodies
Airtronics 802`s are great, they are the same servo as the tahmazo ts d6011 which is also the same as the hyperion DS09SCD

If you like to buy CND the Airtronics can be bought from Denis at www.thehelifarm.com <<<< send him a note, he has told me he will try to stock these servos for us CDN`s
The tahmazo can also be bought in Canada at http://www.armsoar.com/2013/11/01/ar...ri-fit-shirts/

Now. a good and well price analog servo is the dymond d4.7 which is branded under many names. the Tahmazo TS-1002 [also from armstrong above] ripmax is another name for the dymond d4.7 and also our friend in Que. sells a rebranded D4.7
http://www.icare-rc.com/servos.htm << TS-1002
The D4.7 servo have a somewhat weak drive train in that they strip easy but for a servo in that price range the centering is hard to beat , Gear sets are about 3 bucks a set and often the gears might strip only to save damage elsewhere. You can buy the servo direct from Dymond who is the N.A exporter.http://www.rc-dymond.com/index3.php?productID=176
The ultimate servo for the fuse of a DLG specially the rudder is the JR ds285 from great hobbies. Another good JR servo that is a bit cheaper is the ds 188

Hope this helps. Hope I didn't make any mistakes there

Need more info? Just ask. I have a sickening amount of bookmarks and really have tried to buy CDN
Old 11-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #28
ddruck
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX18, JR9503, JR9303,

Now here is the interesting thing, I have some of the servos you recommended, the Jr 285 and the D4.7. Now I made myself a test gismo where I strap a servo in with a 6" or so arm and I test centering and full sweep movement...
Now either I am doing something wrong , but most of these servos and the Hd 44 I bought seem to center very much the same, analog or digital, very close to same tolerance, less then 1 degree off center. I am sure with load on them it may be different but I do not see much centering difference of the servo by itself. The smoothness id different the total swing is different. I used the same channel on my 9303 and the same RX so the conditions would be the same, not some servo exerciser. I keep reading this big difference in print but my tests do not show this. same as slop in metal gears , yes it develops with age but with new tight servos the life expectancy of a DLG is not much and it will be smashed in, well before any wear and tare. I am not saying in anyway that you are wrong or I do not believe you, I am just trying to see if I am missing something.

Last edited by ddruck; 11-27-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
B.Welwood
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Multiplex & Taranis

Total Props: 1

I just bought Dennis' last two ATX 802's last week, prompt service and good price. Still waiting for the JR285 to arrive. Jeff, these are going in the you know what. The HK servos I ordered are for foamy slopers that will get pounded into the ground as slopers do.
Bob.
B.Welwood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
takeoffeh
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
now here is the interesting thing, i have some of the servos you recommended, the jr 285 and the d4.7. Now i made myself a test gismo where i strap a servo in with a 6" or so arm and i test centering and full sweep movement...
Now either i am doing something wrong , but most of these servos and the hd 44 i bought seem to center very much the same, analog or digital, very close to same tolerance, less then 1 degree off center. I am sure with load on them it may be different but i do not see much centering difference of the servo by itself. The smoothness id different the total swing is different. I used the same channel on my 9303 and the same rx so the conditions would be the same, not some servo exerciser. I keep reading this big difference in print but my tests do not show this. Same as slop in metal gears , yes it develops with age but with new tight servos the life expectancy of a dlg is not much and it will be smashed in, well before any wear and tare. i am not saying in anyway that you are wrong or i do not believe you, i am just trying to see if i am missing something.

ok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in