ST 3250 vs Moki 1.8 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
heliken

Total Props: 0
ST 3250 vs Moki 1.8

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm tring to decide which engine would have the most power for my Dynaflite Decathalon. Super Tiger 3250 or a Moki 1.8. The spec shows the Moki @ 4.1 hp. and the ST @ 3.2hp. And yet they both run the same prop (18x at the same RPM (7700). Has anyone had some experience they could share with me. Thks
heliken is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:53 AM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Get the Moki.
It is a much friendlier engine.
If you want a little more power, get the 2.1.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
don't pay any attention to manufacturers horsepower ratings.They are often achieved with small props on a flash basis for advertising purposes.
SuperTigres have received a bad rap over the years since they take some fiddling and running time to get a reliable mid-range.Because of this there are some real bargains in low usage and NIB ones.
One of the most pleasant glow engines I ever had was a 3250,once I got it set up and some time accumulated.
The Moki apparentley is user friendly out of the box,but it costs a lot more.
Both of them will drain your fuel budget right now,so have you considered one of the modern gasoline engines? The initial cost may be higher but you will put that back in your pocket in short order if you do any amount of flying.
If you do go the big glow route there is a really good article available by Ed Mooreman on breaking them in and setting them up ,since they are really quite different from the smaller glow engines ,have relatively low CR ratios ,and thrive on low oil,low nitro FAI type fuels.
Did I get this mostly correct Andrew?
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
Ramz-to-tha-Z

Don't get either...

Stay away from the big glow motors and look for a DA50/BME50/ZDZ50 or maybe a ZDZ40. You'll have alot power, gas is more reliable and your fuel savings alone will more than pay for the engine. They're cleaner and they hold there value extremely well also. I am unfamiliar with the size of the Dynaflite decathlon so a gas motor may be too big and bulky however i'm sure you can find somebody that has already attempted this. Just my .02. Good luck with whatever you attempt.
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
I have always liked the Dynaflite large semi-scale kits and all of the series fly well.
The Decathlon is a 89" model and the specs call for a 25cc to 35cc gas engine as an alternative to two and four stroke glow engines.
That gives you a lot of scope for gas applications and I would definitley go that way.
The range up to 35cc gives you lots of options .Depending on your budget I would reccomend the most modern lightest ignition engine you can afford.
MVVS,RCs,Roto and others all make engines of the most modern type with variable timing electronic ignitions that would be perfect for this model.
Magneto engines like Quadra and Zenoah would be fine too,but watch the weight.
I have also seen weed whacker adaptions work well with these models and I have flown a Chipmunk from this series with a 26cc conversion that flew it very well.Ryobis would be a natural here too.
I prefer rear rotor gas motors myself but that big cowl should be able to bury just about any engine without major cutouts for the carb or muffler. Please make sure to keep us up to date on what you decide and give us a report on how it flies too please.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
I like ST's and even had a few of the large ones (but not the 3250). But if it were my choice, between a Moki 180 and a ST 3250 I would run to the Moki..... no second thoughts.

Thats just because I have had more experience (all good) with the 180 and have seen others have some issues with the 3250, albeit they are supposed to have a newer tweaked carb on the new "reissues" now made in China.

I too would look to a gas engine if I could first, but given your initial question specifically Moki VS Supertigre, I would go with the Moki.

Remember its just one opinion though...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #7
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Remember its just one opinion though...

Two..

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
You know, I have read online (RCU) that others have also had trouble with the Moki - however most of that appears to be guys asking way too much of the engine (mainly idle and transition) before the ring has broken in. These large engines require much run time before you can expect the rock solid idle, easy hand starting and awesome transitions they will deliver - after a few gallons of running. You cant rush it!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #9
Heli_Gal
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Naomi SL

I love my ST3000, it is very easy to start and lots of power to spare on a few planes I used. 1/4 cub 27% Midwest Extra.. Very reliable engine, it likes the Cool power ST fuel. Now I just bought a nice used G4500.. This bad boy probably be in my 1/5 scale P51 later in the season.. . BTW I owned this ST3000 since new probably i said well over 10 years. Rebuilt once a long time ago from a crash at Kitchener funfly, my tail end of my cub get chopped off by an Extra , The Extra is totalled and my engine is 8 inches in the mud .. After rebuilt, it is running sweet as it was before.

Reccession Hurts? Click here to vote

(\__/) (\__/)
(='.'=) (='.'=)
(")_(") (")_(")
_/_/_/_/_/_/

°º¤ø„...ø¤º° ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨
¨°º¤ø„¸ Naomi¸„ø¤º°¨
¸„ø¤º°¨50219`°º¤ø„¸
¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸¨°º¤

Vital Stats:
Started R/C Airplane since 1975
Started R/C Helicopter since 2001
Heli_Gal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in