"selecting a good simulator for helis" - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Flight Simulators Discuss flight sims.

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
captn dave

Total Props: 0
"selecting a good simulator for helis"

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all. I'm new here and looking to purchase a Sim or heli not sure which first.
Never flown before not interested in fancy flying, just getting it up in the air and hoovering. no upside down stuff. It makes me dizzy
How is the MS flight sim different from using the real flight G3 sim.
Could I use a 4,6,or 9 channel controller with the MS flight sim 2003
or am I talking apple to oranges here
captn dave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

It's kinda apples and pineapples actually.

You can get some cheap ones off the net, a couple demos are available.

If you want to learn to fly RC, you need an RC sim. If your into full scale, then MS sim is the one.

Real Flight has a demo, it is one of the popular ones. It's available here.
http://www.realflight.com/free-g3-demo.html

FS One is Hangar 9's sim, there are a couple other ones out there as well, hopefully someone else will post them.

Welcome to RCCanada,
Old 11-30-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
captn dave

Thanks Mike for the info. Yes, I just want to learn RC Heli only. Would LIKE TO FLY A TREX 600 SOME DAY
What do you think about Buying the Blade CP RTF and then down loading a free RC flight program, then using the Blade CP RTF CONTROLLER to operate the free download program?

Old 11-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
captn dave

Am I really glad i downloaded the demo Realflight simG3.
I tried it out and when the cessna took off I lost it, it went out of view. It was sooo far away i couldnt see it anymore, I could only hear it in the far distance. If im going to fly i want to see the aircraft up close. Is there something im missing?
Thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

It's actually a good thing for learning.

It forces you to do turnaround maneuvers, and these are where new guy's always have trouble.

In the sims, you can set it to zoom a bit. Default settings, the planes get smaller alot quicker than they do in real life.

The Blade CP is not easy to learn on. ( I have one, and I have spent the price of a good Trex on learning to fly it, the Trex would have been alot better to start with) The Blade CX is good to learn orientation with. I know a couple of guy's who have gone from the Blade CX right into a 50 sized heli. Once they learned to hover the 50 around, they get a T-rex 400. In less than a year, they are flying them around. One guy is even starting to do loops and rolls.

The 3 guy's I'm specifically thinking of all used simulators alot. Realflight G3, and Aerofly ( http://www.aerofly.com/ ). FS one has just been realeased, with mixed reports from people I've spoken to.

It may be an idea to edit your thread title. Just go to your first post, hit edit, and change it to something about "selecting a good simulator for helis" or something!
Old 11-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
captn dave

Thanks Again Michael for the feed back.
It looks like a Blade CX $250 and a G3 $350. to get started. wow!
before I get into the big ones
thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
David McMillan
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: David M

Total Props: 1
Yep. I'd go with the g3.5, though there are a few technical issues importing aircraft and you'd better have a graphics co-processor.

Other than that it's helped a whole lot!

I fly a CP pro and went through three sets of blades to accomplish 30 seconds of flying. Since the sim, I'm up to a couple munites per set.

Personally I consider that progress!

djm
David McMillan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
rscamp
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rob C

The Phoenix sim is also good for helis.

A day without sunshine is like ...night.
rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
Oshawapilot
RCC Contributor

I am: Mark M

FMS is free and you can pickup a "mockup" transmitter that will connect to your computer and work with it at alot of local hobby shops.

(eBay can be cheaper yet - I bought mine from a guy in Scarborough for $25 cash through eBay...)

FMS is by far one of the most primitive simulators out there but it is a usefull training tool regardless...and the software itself is *free*. Just Google "flying model simulator or FMS and you'll find it.

It's all I used when learning heli this past winter - I spent alot of time on it learning side in and nose in (two of the biggest steps after the hover) and it got me really far really fast.

I start flying heli not much before Christmas...and today I was outside doing fast forward flight and figure 8's in the wind.

I've used G3 and several other simulators and there's no question that the graphics and physics are exponentially better then FMS, but for the basics (orientation and such) FMS works well.

It does aircraft and Heli's.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #10
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
I had Realflight, sold it and bought Reflex, no looking back, hands down better.

http://www.helihobby.com/html/reflex...simulator.html
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in