Newbie help motor & ESC options - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Colin_h
RCC Noob

I am: Colin H
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Elec Newbie help motor & ESC options

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello everyone. As title says I'm in need Of advice, semi new to electric. My wife got me a 2wd slash do Christmas and well the 12t motor is toast already. Kinda purposely as I wanted to go brushless, I'm just confused on what to pick after several days of looking around. What's all the motor ratings mean. The Kv rating? Is more or less turns better? I'm basically after something that might keep me up to par at local outdoor track for the new season(SIDS) and something that will keep up with my boss' E-Revo. Please do advise in the right direction. Also get a motor and ESC combo? Or buy septetly and get a better ESC?
Colin_h is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50
Re: Newbie help motor & ESC options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_h View Post
Hello everyone. As title says I'm in need Of advice, semi new to electric. My wife got me a 2wd slash do Christmas and well the 12t motor is toast already. Kinda purposely as I wanted to go brushless, I'm just confused on what to pick after several days of looking around. What's all the motor ratings mean. The Kv rating? Is more or less turns better? I'm basically after something that might keep me up to par at local outdoor track for the new season(SIDS) and something that will keep up with my boss' E-Revo. Please do advise in the right direction. Also get a motor and ESC combo? Or buy septetly and get a better ESC?
First you need to find out whether they run a modified or stock slash class for racing at the track. If this is your first time racing I would highly recommend you stick to stock first. The slash on brushless needs very good throttle management. If you've raced modified 2wd before you may be able to compete, up to you.

As for the erevo, if it's the brushless erevo, you probably won't ever keep up with it. 1. it's 1/8 vs 1/10, 2. it's 4wd vs 2wd and 3. the erevo has a lower cog and much wider stance with wider tires. At high speeds the slash is VERY unstable and will flip, sometimes it seems for no reason at all.

For what brushless to get... that's going to be highly dependent on your budget. If you can afford it, tekin, novak and lrp are my favorites. If not then CC, speed passion, losi are good too. Then there are the truly budget models you can get from HK. Up to you there. You're looking for around 3500 to 3700kv for the slash.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Colin_h
RCC Noob

Thanks for the info! Iv only ever raced micros at local hobby shop, been in the hobby for about a year just not on track. As for classes, nothing competitive just open track. But I want a setup that's impressive lol even to friends not in the hobby, so to say. The Revo is brushless, but mini Revo. Also what's the turns on the motor mean? And 2pole or 4 pole. A budget isn't really a problem. And not to sound like total newbie but I'd rathe have all the power it would take to eventually be competitive and learn with that on the track rather then just keep upgrading when it's not enough. Thanks for your input much appreciated.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

Motor turns goes back to brushed motors so some companies carried that convention over to brushless even though they are not made the same way. Lower turns meant higher end speed but lower torque, higher turns was lower top speed but more torque. For instance, crawlers use very high turn motors whereas on road cars built for top speed used low turn motors. For brushless base it on the kv which I've posted above, even those named by the "turns" should have the kv spec somewhere as well.

Don't worry too much about the number of poles, focus on the kv rating. If you really want a description, a google search will bring up tons of information which I won't repost here.

The main problem with brushless on the slash 2wd is that the wheels are so narrow and the torque and speed of brushless so high that you rarely are able to put all that power to the ground. With a slash 4wd it's slightly better. 2WD has always been harder to compete in for new racers due to the amount of control required. It's very easy to spin out in corners from lack of throttle control which is why it's always recommended for new racers to start out in the stock class, that evens the field as everyone is driving the exact same vehicle so the only advantages are from skill. With modified, the experienced racers have a lot more tricks in set up. Again up to you but the power of the brushless motor is just a small part of racing. What I would suggest is that you give the stock slash a try on the track before making a decision, another 15t motor is pretty cheap and it's easy enough to upgrade to brushless if you're not happy with it.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Colin_h
RCC Noob

Thanks, very useful, I have been researching just havnt come up with the advice ive been looking for. Ie to just focus on the Kv rating. And I guess it won't hurt to grab a couple stock motors for some learning days, but will get a brushless setup I can swap in for backyard practice and what not. Would wider rear tires on a slash be an option? I guess that probably differs for race regulations as well. I guess it's all goiong to be a learning curve for the next few years. And for the record I knew there's a lot more to racing then just power lol. Just thought it might be time, but ur right some stock races won't hurt. Thanks again. Very much appreciated
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Colin_h
RCC Noob

Well they guys at my LHS talked me into the new sidewinder v2 and so far no complaints it's got the 4600kv motor I believe and it's rather fast and only ran me about 140 bucks for now, running 90 spur 17 pinion and as I don't have a temp gauge at the moment I'll probably get one today, but after some hard running motor and speed control have been rather cool to the touch. I'm rather impressed with this system, but then again all I have for a comparison is the brushed setup so I'd probably be blown away with any brushless set up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in