Working on my first Scratch Build. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
Working on my first Scratch Build.

Although I have built numerous kits over the years, everything from .15 size up to 50cc size, I have always thought of doing a scratch build. Nothing complicated, for my first venture anyways.

Even though I have been building kits and flying for just over 20 years this year, I have often thought of finding a little known aircraft, working up a set of plans and scratch building it. Hopefully starting off with this simple trainer plane, and building it to a successful completion, will give me the incentive to one day actually fulfill my dream of doing a completely scale model scratch build.

One of my all time favourite trainers is the HL Telemaster 40. It looked simple enough to build and the plans that came with the kit are more than adaquate to cut out the individual parts to build the plane. It is pretty much stick built and the only plywood in the whole model is the firewall and the landing gear plate which is 1/4" AC Ply.

I am NOT going to make this a build thread. Just going to explain some the steps I took to put her together. I will add some pics as I go along just to give you an idea of what is involved. As you will see, it is only slightly more complicated than building this trainer from a kit. The only thing that really makes it different is that you have to buy the balsa wood sheets and trace and cut them into the parts needed to first make up the kit! Then just build the kit from the parts you made up.

I will continue to post to this thread over the next little while, so if you have any comments or suggestions between my postings, please feel free to do so. Anything that will add to instructional quality of this thread will be very much appreciated.

The first thing I did was to sit down with the plans, looking them over carefully and made up a "Material List" and a list of Tools I figured I would need. Then when I was satisfied that I had all the materials needed listed, I took a trip to see my old friend, Don Wilson in Grimsby to purchase the needed balsa supplies. It is nice having Don's shop this close to me, only being approx 14Km away. $150 later I arrived home with my load of balsa sheets, which I sorted into size, banded them together and labeled for easy of reference once I started to build. I had purchased enough balsa to scratch 2 complete "Teles". One I would build immediately, the other I would cut into kit form to build another time. It's is almost as easy to cut parts for two planes as it is for one, in my way of thinking.

With the work bench completely cleaned off and wiped down, I laid out the plans for the fuse, taped them down securely and covered them with wax paper to keep them free of dirt and glue while building. Next, I gathered all the tools, tape, glues, rulers etc. I had listed that I would need for the builld and had them readily at hand.

Finally at this point, I was ready to begin the build. Pics added shortly.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 01-26-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
dean2287
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean M

Total Props: 8
Re: Working on my first Scratch Build.

Cool Gary! I've often thought about a scratch build too...just take some plans and go for it. A Telemaster sounds like a great first one to try. I'm sure it will be challenging and rewarding, can't wait for some pics! Good luck!
fly2bfree
dean2287 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
michel gravelle
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Michel G

Total Props: 12

Hi Gary

A telemaster ,...................... aaaaaaaaaa , the good old days ,
go for it .What a splended idea ,.................... jolly good

I,m in

Michel
ARF P-51 40 TF-P51 Giant KIT
TopFite P-51 Giant ARF X 3
Hanger 9 SpitFire 60 ARF X2
TopFlite Elder-40 ( on the board )
Aero Works 540 T -60
The Ground came up and hit my plane
michel gravelle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Struts1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 14

Gary,

Good to see you taking plunge in the dark side of the hobby, hopefully u'll like scratch building as it's for very innovative minded guys, not everybody can build models from scratch. Unfortunately it's dying end of the hobby due to storm of ARFs, PNP models available now days form tons of companies, nothing wrong with them but it's not the same anymore. +prop heading ur way for getting into scratch building my friend.....lol
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
ronljroy
RCC Contributor

I am: Ronald R
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 0

At least half my aircraft are scratch built. Scratch build is my preference, largely because of the satisfaction derived. Two Telemasters, a 1/5 scale Harvard, three 60 size Big Stiks. Being able to figure out "how can this be done" is the fun of it all. The greatest reward is of course taking it to the field and flying it. Good Luck, and enjoy!!! But TAKE YOUR TIME!!!

"If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!!!"
ronljroy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Spitball
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Cedric V.

Total Props: 1

Good going CG - nice choice, but you are going to electrify it aren't you??? Keep us posted.
I keep looking at the Snr. Telemaster plans I was given ages ago, the 'balsa overcast', but my preference is definitely towards little electric Park Fliers nowadays!
Must be getting old and mellow!
Have you guys ever tried the plastic film plan protector that GreatPlanes sell by the roll?
I like it.
Spitball is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Will be watching, Gary...interesting to see what you come up with.

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
Sukhoi 68
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Scott
Radio of choice:
Futaba 16SZ
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 29
Thumbs up Re: Working on my first Scratch Build.

I'm watching this one!

MAAC 23964
MAAC DZD Alberta, Scale Committee CH
NWSAM Alberta Rep.
Edmonton Radio Control Society (ERCS)

Futaba "The only way to fly"
Sukhoi 68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

Alright....thanks for the input and encouragement my friends.

Here are a few pictures of getting things setup and ready to build. Take note of the cork board I purchased at Home Depot. It's approx 2' x 4' and costs aroung $15.00 Works great for pinning down the balsa part while you build and is large enough for most mid size model planes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch build 1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	136545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch build 2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	136546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch build 3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	136547  

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 01-28-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8

When doing any kind of a build it is good to be organized having everything laid out an ready to go.

The next step was to start cutting out the parts. I used both my band saw and a balsa stripper for doing the longerons and the wing spars. These parts were cut from balsa sheets. It only takes a few minutes to setup and cut and is a lot cheeper than buying ready cut sticks. The bandsaw with a new blade sure makes easy work of this.

Cut from 3' lengths of 3/16 balsa sheeting, the longerons have enough length for the fuse and the bulkheads which are made from the same size sticks (3/16 x 3/4") 3/16 sheeting was also used to measure out and cut out the side pieces of the fuse. The two center bulkheads were drawn out and cut from 1/8 balsa sheeting. After assembling the side pieces, the bulkheads, and the firewall, I was ready to assemble the bulk of the fuse, which I did with C/A glue.

Once you get started, it is amazing how fast and easy this plane goes together. In no time at all the fuse sides and bulkheads were glued in place and the tail section where all the longerons join, were brought together and glued Next I sheeted the whole bottom of the fuse including the landing gear plate. This part too was simple building and went quite fast.

Next before sheeting the top, I installed the golden rod control system for the elevator and rudder. Measure accurately so they come out the rear of the fuse where they are suppose to so you don't get any bending or kinking.
Once that was done, I sheeted the top of the fuse. Also cut to size and glued on the window piece of balsa sheet.

The plans show the front top the fuse as being solid with no external access to the fuel tank compartment. Access is gained through the cabin opening and in through the front bulkhead. Never did like this about the Tele so I opted to install a front hatch for much more easy access to the fuel tank and lines. It is quite easily done.

Here is a few picture of the fuse about 2/3 completed. In these pics the hatch as well as the golden rods have not been completed as yet. The next pics will show these details for you. As you can see, it is a fairly simple build!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch build 4.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	136549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch build 5.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	136550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scratch build 6.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	136551  

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 01-28-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in