Two battery charging question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Carlyle
RCC Contributor

I am: carlyle anderson

Total Props: 0
Two battery charging question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Guys,

Quick (i hope) question for you. I have a plane which uses a SmartFly regulator with duel battery input. I am also using some 2400MAH 2S2P LiFe batteries with blinky ballancers installed right on the packs. Two batteries, two blinkys. I hope you're following.

My question is, can I build a charge lead that basically has a Y adaptor built into it, and charge both batteries at the same time, and just double my amps? Every time I charge the batteries, they take the same number of MAH (within 2 or 3%), so I can't see why this wouldn't work. They should both remain at the same voltage (much the same as when they are attached to the regulator), and should devide the amps up evenly.

Anyways, what's everyones thoughts?

Carlyle

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55
Re: Two battery charging question

The quick answer is no, you can't do that. If the internal resistance of each cell in each pack was identical then, in theory, you could but that will never be the case. The charge current will never be divided equally between both packs. You may be able to get away with it if you charged at a rate below what the blinky balancers discharge at but then it would take days to charge your pack so you wouldn't be saving any time.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
hitechflyer
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Hank U.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 19

I have charged 4 sets of li-polimers at the same time using a home made four branch Y harnes all packs are the same size. I never had any problems.

If I was in a hurry I would quaddrupel the charge rate, using a lower rate would help in ballancing.
hitechflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
Billpilotca
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ

Total Props: 21

I agree with Terry's answer. Charge them separately. If you really have to charge them at the same time get two chargers and completely disconnect from the power expander or receiver as you don't want any common ground between the two when you are charging them. If you don't you will just end up with unbalanced charging and unbalanced cells.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
4wdmt
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joel D

Total Props: 8

I was also researching on how to charge 2 packs. I stubled in this youtube vid. I don't know if it is helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d2uf...eature=related
4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gauvin View Post
The quick answer is no, you can't do that.
I would have to disagree, you are charging all cells to 4.2 Volts and don't care if some get there first. It will all even out.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 4

If your batteries are the same age and have seen the same use, and they discharge and charge in a similar fashion (as you've stated), I don't see a problem charging them in this manner either.

I would suggest however, that you do not leave the charging "y" connected after charging, as the SmartFly likely has isolated inputs to protect each battery from a possible failure of the other (you probably know this anyhow).

Another possible thing to consider, I've often left blinky's attached for extended periods myself with no ill effects but, one of the fellows at the field apparently had a blinky completely drain and kill his battery over time. I don't know if this is an isolated incident or not, and am not sure if Blinky's can be safely left connected for extended periods or not - just putting it out there.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Jeff_D
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jeff D

Total Props: 1

Moo is correct. You can parallel charge LiPo's and they can even have different capacities. Here is some more info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319
Jeff_D is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
chris p
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris p

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle View Post
Hey Guys,

Quick (i hope) question for you. I have a plane which uses a SmartFly regulator with duel battery input. I am also using some 2400MAH 2S2P LiFe batteries with blinky ballancers installed right on the packs. Two batteries, two blinkys. I hope you're following.

My question is, can I build a charge lead that basically has a Y adaptor built into it, and charge both batteries at the same time, and just double my amps? Every time I charge the batteries, they take the same number of MAH (within 2 or 3%), so I can't see why this wouldn't work. They should both remain at the same voltage (much the same as when they are attached to the regulator), and should devide the amps up evenly.

Anyways, what's everyones thoughts?

Carlyle
hi, before i answer you say 2s2p life and not lipo right(not like it makes much difference)

since both batteries are connected to the smartfly and essently running the same electronics Right,not different ones.eg ,,one for the reciever and one for electric ign.

they are pretty much connected 4s2p (in my eyes, just connected through the smartfly for redundancy).
so therefore you can charge them togeather 4s2p.
I also would not leave the blinky on all the time, I would only use it when charging.

I the batteries are LiFe then charge whatever you want.
If they are LiPo than 1c is recomended but....

Now I am no expert on batteries and this is my own opinion,
I have charged this way for years and not had any problem with any of my batteries big and small.
BUT remember not to leave unattended when charging,thats when there will be a problem.

chris p
chris p is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Carlyle
RCC Contributor

I am: carlyle anderson

Total Props: 0

Chris, you're right, I would consider this a 4S2P set up.

I'm thinking it is possible (which is what I thought before), so I'm going to build a lead. However, I will make sure that when I have a chance, I will charge one at a time, and insure that both batteries are still taking the same MAH.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in