What to do - Someone selling RC lessons - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44
What to do - Someone selling RC lessons

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
There is a guy near us looking at selling RC airplane lessons.

As you all would probably agree this really is not a good thing.

Link here

http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-service...AdIdZ317138816

Is there anything that can be done to notify people this is dangerous and they can get training for free at a local field
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: What to do - Someone selling RC lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungestPiperCUb View Post
As you all would probably agree this really is not a good thing.

Is there anything that can be done to notify people this is dangerous and they can get training for free at a local field
I wouldn't nessasarily say it "is not a good thing". If he has the ability and the CYA stuff in order why not? Maybe he's a better instructor than the club has, who knows?

Is there is fact a club in the area that "will" take on newbies???
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #3
Beerwiser
RCC Contributor

I am: Ted
Radio of choice:
dx8
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 12

Why would this be dangerous? I agree its not a good idea and the only thing that may be dangerous is if this guy has no clue what he is doing. I don't think many people would buy services off of kijiji, and most people are cheap so they will look for free first . If you really want to let people know that they can get free lessons at a field put a ad up in the same category or put a link to your site. You can't beat the info you get by going to a club, you can have a 100 years of experience at your disposal.

Last edited by Beerwiser; 10-04-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Beerwiser is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
canadianf1pilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 40+

Total Props: 6

I just sent an email asking if he has insurance and if he belongs to a club...we will see what he says.

It's not a bad idea to attract people to the hobbie, but I am pretty sure MAAC does not have coverage for RC pilots for hire...

but it reminds me of somthing I have noticed about human nature...

there was a gas BBQ on the side of the road to the flying field, with a sign that read "Free BBQ, pick me up"...it sat there for 2 weeks, then I noticed the sign changed to "BBQ for sale $25.00" and the next day someone was there picking up the BBQ....sometimed you have to charge for stuff because if you try to give it away people think there is somthing wrong with it.

Bill
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

I don't see an issue with it. People charge for services all the time that you can get for free. There are a ton of listings for things like RC repair services which most people should be able to do on their own but may not have the inclination or time.

The other thing is that while a club may be willing to teach for free you're usually limited to what time the "teacher" has available. When you're paying for it, you have much more power over when the lesson is.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

Sounds to me like he's going to supply his own equipment, fuel, etc to get it going - so any prospective students will be using his stuff. Most clubs require you to make the investment on that stuff yourself before training. I think that's a distinction worth noting.

I don't see any danger in it. If the guy wants to make a buck introducing new guys into the hobby, then more power to him.

As long as he's up front with his students with regard to the availability of clubs and free training given their own equipment. That and assuming he's not blatantly taking advantage with exorbitant hourly fees and the like.

If done right, I see no problem with it, and given the information available I see no reason to balk.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

1) MAAC does not sanction a "TRAIN for HIRE" scheme, so lets not even discuss this being done at a MAAC club

2) If he doesn't belong to a club then he doesn't need MAAC.

3) If he flies on Private Property, he does not need MAAC

So. does he NEED to have insurance? No, he doesn't, but from his perspective, I am sure his homeowner liability insurance will suffice.

So from my perspective, it is a free country and he can do what he wants on his own property. If he wants to charge for lessons, he can do so.

So now that we established that, leave the guy alone.

BUT I also agree with the question from What Tree:
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Tree View Post
Is there is fact a club in the area that "will" take on newbies???
If there are plenty of clubs around that welcome members (and we know that clubs cannot charge for training per MAAC rules ; Ergo training is free to newcomers), then this guy wont get any business if the local clubs are satisfying the needs of the newcomers in that area.

The commitment of clubs to help newcomers is even a sticky right here on RCC in the Beginner/Newbie section of RCC:
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=119809

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
1) MAAC does not sanction a "TRAIN for HIRE" scheme, so lets not even discuss this being done at a MAAC club
Does MAAC prohibit "train for hire"? In which document can this be found?
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
Bdegan
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gauvin View Post
Does MAAC prohibit "train for hire"? In which document can this be found?
Hi Terry,
I'm not sure where it is written. But I remember having a discussion with our Zone Director earlier this year about it.
If a MAAC member charges for flight instruction, MAAC will recind his MAAC membership.
If that member is doing this at a flying club and the club knows of it and does nothing about it. MAAC will pull its sanction for said club.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
rcav8r71
RCC Contributor

I am: Jon F
Radio of choice:
Any that work, and they all work
# of RCs: 99+

Total Props: 11

A model aircraft is defined in the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR's) as an aircraft flown remotely for RECREATIONAL purposes. If this person charges a fee for flight instruction, then they are operating a Flight Training Unit, under CAR's Part 406, which falls under the control of Transport Canada (TC). They may require an Air Operators Certificate (AOC), and issuance of a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). The commercial use of a model aircraft makes it what we refer to as a UAV. MAAC insurance DOES NOT cover commercial use, therefore, proof of commercial aviation insurance will be required. As for flying at a MAAC sanctioned field, forget about it, unless the club and property owner are named as co-insured on the insurance policy.
Also, your homeowners insurance probably does not cover commercial aviation, (mine covers me for RECREATIONAL activities that occur while not on my own property).
BTW, I for one, wish we COULD charge for flying instruction. I think the students and instructors would take it more seriously and the level of competancy among students and instructors would increase. I hate seeing or hearing about people quitting the hobby due to frustration trying to learn to fly.
I sincerely hope this clears things up about this issue.
Jon
rcav8r71 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in