EV5U Electronic Valve/Seq - Good/Bad? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 06-09-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
straightup
RCC Contributor

I am: Scott B

Total Props: 0
Question EV5U Electronic Valve/Seq - Good/Bad?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm looking for feedback on this unit. I already have one but I've only bench tested it. There seem to be a lot of mixed reviews on rcuniverse.
straightup is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
Re: EV5U Electronic Valve/Seq - Good/Bad?

I don't own one, but from the one's I've seen I wouldn't personally use it. Might depend a little on which one you have, the real EV5U or the chinese knock off version.
Paul has one in his Viperjet which he is taking out as it doesn't seem to flow enough air to reliably retract the gear. The brake valve is not proportional which I don't get at all, with an electronic valve why would they not do it proportional? They take up one single very large area to install and are heavy.
For the weight and cost, I still prefer to use the UP valves and servo's. It might not weigh much less, but I don't need as big of a single area of real estate to mount it and the UP valves have a much higher flow rate. JMP has a very good lightweight door sequencer available as well if you need sequenced doors.
Just my opinion, but I've saw 2 of them operate this weekend, and they just don't seem to get the gear up with any authority.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 14

Most guys that know me, know that I don't generally shy away from technology. At some point you have to ask yourself if this or that component fails will I be screwed for the rest of the event? Over the years I have gone from simple retract valve / servo units to electronic sequencing valves that require their own power source. I would like to say that generally these new devises have made my installations and applications easier. Unfortunately, it has not been the case as I have found odd little operational programs that are annoying along with - what I think are high failure rates. It is much easier and cheaper to change out a servo that actuates a valve than to have to replace the entire " expensive " item. In my last couple of projects I have gone back to " system component isolation " This allows me to isolate and to easily trouble shoot a problem. It also lessons the impact or complications of adjoining systems.

Going full circle but I can keep flying!

Cheers
D.W.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #4

Dean raises a great point regarding components, if a single valve or servo fails, it's easy to replace, it's easy to justify bringing a spare just in case. If a big electronic unit like this fails, it's expensive, and ends your flying until you repair or replace it. I've simplified as well, my Firebird was going to have a powerbox, fancy guages etc, but now, it's regular servo operated valves, NiMh batteries, no power box, etc. Using the regular valves, if one of them has a problem, I have a chance of being able to trouble shoot the issue and fix it too, with an electronic valve, I'd be lost.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
straightup
RCC Contributor

I am: Scott B

Total Props: 0

Thanks for the feedback. I must say that I think the initial setup is likely much simpler than using valves and servos when setting up a gear sequence with multiple doors on each wheel. That being said, your feedback is very valuable from a long-term perspective. If this valve fails, the plane won't fly for a minimum of a month unless a backup unit is available.

I suspect I'll likely go back to servos and valves for my next project to reduce my fears. The other option would be to purchase multiple EV5Us. Given the expense and rapid enhancements in this type of technology I'm not really interested in making the investment.
straightup is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
powerjets
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Hans V
Radio of choice:
jets

Total Props: 7

Another option is to use separate EV1 / EV2 valves or Jettronics dual/single, very easy to install and replace if needed.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

As Jeremy said, my EV5U isn't getting the job done so I'm gonna replace it with the valves and sequencer from Tom Cook. The gear on his Firebird are operating with authority and the system is SIMPLE.

SOMETHING TO NOTE

I also called Todd from Dreamworks and mentioned my problem with the EV5U. He said there are actually 2 completely different EV5U's - one by Airpower and the other by Fry Eagle. They are not the same and the Fry Eagle units are a knock-off copy - I just thought it was a re-branded unit by Airpower. I have a Fry Eagle unit and didn't even know I had a knock-off. They look identical but functionally are quite different. The knock-off unit is also not programmable thru a card like the Airpower unit so you are stuck with the pre-set times.

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #8
Pepperpete
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn M

Total Props: 2

Now having said all that I think I should chime in a bit. I am not defending the unit itself but I think I do need to point out that mine worked flawlessly in my F-16 even though it's the knockoff version. The gear worked great and there were no issues with the brakes. Having said that I haven't used it very much yet and it could fry on me but at this point it's worked like a champ.

Also Paul's Viperjet needs a heck of a lot more air to move those giant landing gear up and down where as the smaller jets like mine might be fine on the airflow level of this sequencer.

You know it was funny, when I started adding up the weight of the sequencer and of all the gear I would need to replace it with, the weight came out to pretty much the same. Jeremy has a point that if any part on the sequencer goes, then I'm screwed because it's a major fix. But I'm not totally sold on the "it's crap" line as for me so far it's been excellent.

Of course if I don't replace it, and it dies at the next event, I'll never hear the end of it.
Member #4 of the 2 litre club! And proud of it.
Pepperpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the EV5 valve, I am using it, and the reason I did is because the servo that actuates the UP valve burnt out.
As far as installation, I use 3mm Festo tubing and make them short, and use a 3 to 3mm quick connect coupling to connect to the rest of the installation, so in case it goes bad, 2 screws it comes out, and Festo quick connects make the re-connection super simple. I use Festo 3mm on all my air installs and replacing any defective component in the system is a breeze.

If you want to compare the EV5 valve to Air Power's valve, you need to compare it with the new EV5UA and not the old valve. The new Valve has all the features.

As far as Power Box, they are the most reliable piece of electronic servo control and voltage regulation as well as Rx redundancy. High quality electronics and again made in Germany and used by pilots around the world.

You can make your installation simple the old fashioned way which will work in simple models, once you get complicated models with door sequencing, air brakes, other scale features like spoilers and multi servos per surface, simple solutions with proper mixing and regulation just do not cut it and there are not enough channels to operate them. Servos have to operate without binding on multi servos per surface and programming neutral and deflections become critical, power regulation also becomes critical due to the amount of current needed.

As far as Whoever copied first Fly Eagle or Air Power who cares, as long as the product works and in fact both of them copied from a German company at some point.

If I am not mistaken you wanted feedback on the EV5 valve. The answer to your questions is YES there is nothing wrong with the valve, it works and there is no reason to start a Fly Eagle Jet attack for a simple question.

Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM   #10
Pepperpete
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn M

Total Props: 2

I have to somewhat disagree with you. And nobody is bashing anything really, it's just honest opinions.

The sequencer in general has had a number of reported failures. I was simply saying that so far mine is working well. It really does come down to the luck of the draw.

Those with good ones seem to like them (depending on the plane, this won't work for Paul's massive Viperjet). I like it because of the simplicity of the unit. But those with burnt out units are left for the rest of the weekend without the ability to fly. I know if I had the servo setup, and one servo had died or even a valve had died in Princeton, that the guys up there probably would have had the stuff in a parts box to get me flying again. I suppose I could keep a spare EV unit but those thing's aren't exactly inexpensive to have just lying around.

But at the same time...it worked great and that didn't happen. The airflow was fine for my retracts although the pure lack of programmable parameters on my old unit sucks balls. The first time I opened the doors and it took 6 seconds for my gear to come down almost gave me a heart attack.

I am somewhat torn about this unit. I love the simplicity, but I hate the little thoughts in the back of my head that has me doubting the stability. The fact it gets as bloody hot as it does can't be a good thing. Hearing reports of them dying also adds to the scare factor. But for me so far, it's worked great. Right now I am leaning towards the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" category as I wouldn't save enough weight swapping everything out as I would have thought.
Member #4 of the 2 litre club! And proud of it.

Last edited by Pepperpete; 06-09-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Pepperpete is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in