aeajr
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ed A
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C Super
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3
Re: Is Glow Dead?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsaltchucker View Post
so the thread has decided to Kumbayaw and say every kind of RC flying is great - and I agree with that 100%

and then we get more of this elitism once again

btw electric can sound great with latest generation of lightweight, powerful sound systems (like the automakers are doing in cars nowadays): https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=141&v=Od9EkPBwhRM
Nothing elitist about this. He likes the sound of a glow engine. He is entitled to his opinion.
aeajr is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #242
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Nothing elitist about this. He likes the sound of a glow engine. He is entitled to his opinion.
So calling an electric 'sounds like a toy' is OK, then let's just keep the insults coming, eh? Because 'opinions' are such a wonderful thing.

Meanwhile another guy had some criticisms of glow (not insulting ones) and a bunch of folks jumped all over him in this thread for posting something negative.

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 03-29-2015 at 01:52 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #243
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6

Very nice plane Richard and a very nice engine to fly that bird.
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:23 PM   #244
aeajr
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Ed A
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C Super
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 3

Quote:
So calling an electric 'sounds like a toy' is OK, then let's just keep the insults coming, eh? Because 'opinions' are such a wonderful thing.

Meanwhile another guy had some criticisms of glow (not insulting ones) and a bunch of folks jumped all over him in this thread for posting something negative.
It is OK with me. If that is what he feels it sound like then that is his opinion. In no way interferes with my enjoyment of my planes.

The sound of the typical 2 cycle glow engine is one of the reasons I prefer electric motors. I can fly almost anywhere and no one bothers me. And when I leave the flying field my ears are not ringing from the high pitched whine of a 2 cycle glow, my planes are clean and they don't smell.

Some people "love the smell of napalm in the morning". Each to his own.
aeajr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:39 PM   #245
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
btw electric can sound great with latest generation of lightweight, powerful sound systems (like the automakers are doing in cars nowadays): https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=141&v=Od9EkPBwhRM
Just to add some light on the sound systems available. I looked at all of them and emailed/spoke to those I could who either sold or owned each system. They were expensive and if I were to buy one I wanted the biggest bang for my buck.

98 decibels was top. Of three sound systems that reached this level only one included all the sound files at no extra cost. Complete ready to install in my models it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 CDN. It was also a Canadian Company http://www.modelsoundsinc.com/index.php

It performed exactly as advertised in fact I have it so I can transfer the sound board from plane to plane if I want.

It sounded great sitting on my cement garage floor reflecting the sound all around. In the air however even in a 60 inch MXS it sounds anemic at any distance. A .60 size two or four stroke is much louder. I am running it on max power 6S and two 4 inch speakers. A bit more volume could be had with a proper speaker box and I have had an opportunity to hear one.

I bought the system with the intent of installing it in my 80 inch Mustang but it may be lacking the oomph I am looking for. I love the idea of having guns, sounds of gear doors going up and down, canopy opening and closing etc. You can even record sounds and make your own sound files up. An introductory bit of music could be played as you taxi out for a show at the club for instance.

When I spoke with David Harrison he was quite helpful in redoing the sound file for the engine of the MXS to get it right. Great support. He also took the time to give me a bit of a lesson how sound volume vs. power which was enlightening. I did not realize adding more speakers or larger speakers would not increase the volume it was a condition of available power that limits the volume. Some sort of extra amp would be needed and appropriate speakers most likely with larger magnets etc. All this equated to additional weight. Something that might be acceptable on the Mustang but not on the MXS if I want to keep it aerobatic. At this time there is no amp available.

Dennis

Last edited by Lazy Ace; 03-29-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #246
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7

Speaking about sound there's nothing to me sounds better than a true turbine. It's all real and sounds just like the full size aircraft turbines. When I go to fun fly's when a guy at the club field pulls out his turbine jet. Wow what a crowd pleaser. and you don't have to put out any extra cash to get an authentic sound ,it already has it. But to each their own. That's the nice thing about this hobby everyone likes different things but learn to accept others opinions even if you don't agree. That's what this thread is all about opinions to express what you like and what you don't like. If you get upset put on a smile and get over it. I know I certainly will cause soon I will be at the field burnin up some glow fuel. Have a safe and happy flying season to all, whatever type of engines you use. Just remember glow is far from dead and that's what this thread is about . As we can see it is alive and well, long live the Glow Engine.
Make Safety Priority #1

Last edited by fsone; 03-29-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #247
Rellic
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

I really like BEER!!! Especially a good Lager.

Brian T.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #248
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7

Make Safety Priority #1
Old 03-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #249
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC28 & MC20 & MZ-32
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellic View Post
I really like BEER!!! Especially a good Lager.

Brian T.
For something different give this a try. Goes good with Nitro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1687_1_.png
Views:	45
Size:	1,000.7 KB
ID:	589602  
cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:19 PM   #250
Rellic
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Brian T
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudniner View Post
For something different give this a try. Goes good with Nitro.
I know it well Richard, My LBC (Little British Car) parts supplier in Kelowna always has some in his shop chiller in summer season for His Good Customers. I thank Him for introducing Me to a fine brew.
I miss the Tuborg from the late 60's, that was one fine Dark Ale.

Brian T.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in