Is this realistic? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Oshawapilot
RCC Contributor

I am: Mark M

Total Props: 0
Is this realistic?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Just came across this elsewhere:

http://www.urbanastronomer.com/bladecp/blades/

Is making your own blades out of paint mixing sticks realistic? Safe?

The video seems to show stable flight...and I've no reason to believe it's a farce...I'm just looking for opinions. I'd be more apt to let my son practice on my CP2 if I knew that a free set of new mainblades were a visit to Home Depot away.

(Video mirrored at my own site HERE - the website listed above is the source of the videos, but has slow load times...)
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
mentalvmaxrider

blades

Hi.I was going to try some out myself.I don't see any reason as to why they wouldn't work.As for safe,I think that is a fairly relative term for these helis anyways.For what it's worth,I built the simulator cable from his site and it works perfectly(with a few tweaks to the software controls....easy).I have no idea who the guy is,but just a little testimonial to his site......I have also seen other sites where people built thier own blades with success.I bought a set of plastiblades for my buddies cp because he was always crashing and they worked really good too,they just slowed the heli down a bit because of the weight which actually seemed to help with the learning process.Anyhoo,if I built the blades before you do,I'll let you know how they work out.
mentalvmaxrider is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
Oshawapilot
RCC Contributor

I am: Mark M

It wasn't anything personal against the guy, just the process.
Oshawapilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
mentalvmaxrider

blades

Yep,I hear ya.I can't vouch for him either way on the blades,but I have been toying around with the idea of building them someday.The simulator cable definitely works though and it is actually pretty realistic flying the simulator.I used an s video cable from the dollar store for the back of the radio and I had the rest of the junk laying around.It's always fun to find stuff that you can build at home.Pretty interesting site anyways.
Happy New year(almost)
Jeremy
Old 01-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #5
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Yes, it's for real; but, it will take effort and time to get it right. Considering new micro blades cost ~$15, it's probably not worth it for most except for the satisfaction of doing it.

I have recovered micro blades with good results - it doesn't take long. Although micro often don't break blades when you crash, they will almost always tear covering, expecially on the tips.

Check out this thread on RCG for similar info.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
mentalvmaxrider

blades

$15 bucks?my lhs(localest) hobby shop charges $25!!!!Someones making some coin somewhere.Do you get yours off the net somewhere?
Old 01-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #7
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
I fly a Trex and the blades for it are $15 Cdn. Same here. You can get CF blades for the Trex for as little as $27 Cdn. 500mm wood blades can be had for under $20 Cdn.

You can get symmetrical wood blades for the Blade CP for $8 US and CF Blade CP blades for $22 US but make a big order as the shipping is expensive.

And these retailers are still making a profit.

Shop around - there are lots of places to buy blades. Some are better than others. Quality also varies.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
stikflyer
RCC Contributor

I am: Kevin L
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 1
I use the Esky symetrical blades on my blade Cp. They cost under $10.00 so it's not worth the effort to make blades in my opinion.
stikflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
expozure

Re: blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalvmaxrider
Yep,I hear ya.I can't vouch for him either way on the blades,but I have been toying around with the idea of building them someday.The simulator cable definitely works though and it is actually pretty realistic flying the simulator.I used an s video cable from the dollar store for the back of the radio and I had the rest of the junk laying around.It's always fun to find stuff that you can build at home.Pretty interesting site anyways.
Happy New year(almost)
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Can you tell us how you constructed the sim cable using the s-video cable? I'm thinking of building a cable but I like the idea of having a secure connnection to the back of the radio.

Jake
expozure is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in