LIPO Fire *** WARNING *** - Page 11 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #101

Total Props: 57
Re: LIPO Fire *** WARNING ***

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree_caf View Post
Haya, told Horizon Hobby not to bother as Canada Post would likely not allow dangerous cargo in their system...

Pretty amazing of HH to offer me the same darn thing that nearly burnt my house ! I was hopping they'd offer an Hyperion charger or similar !
Let me get this straight. Your charger, the one that comes with the kit that you know darn well is a barely adequate charger, which is made to do one job only, worth maybe 5 to 10 bucks at best new, screws up and you’re hoping they will offer you a 100 dollar plus charger as a replacement. Makes me wonder about your motives for complaining so long and loud on this forum.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #102
retiree_caf
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Y R

Total Props: 0

Dennis,

I said I was surprised HH would offer to replace the charger with the same unit, and, If I was Mr HH Custumer Support, I would replace the unit with the safest charger I could offer, and for safety reasons and nothing else !!

You haven't seen the email traffic between HH and myself and wonder why you would jump to the conclusion you posted above?

I don't need those cheaper HH chargers. I have a Triton EQ2 which is perfectly fine and I can afford a few thousands of those no problem at all. At times, I was using this cheaper HH charger when I had multitple batteries to charge and I admit that was my mistake and should have known better. I am now getting an additional charger likely another Triton EQ 2 or Hyperion or similar.

I am still fairly new in the hobby, and I would just hope that HH or other vendors would not provide cheap chargers as part of their ARF so to prevent fire hazards and injuring new people getting in the hobby.

My motive is simply Safety and nothing else !! Discussions bring awareness.

Last edited by retiree_caf; 02-06-2010 at 02:28 PM.
retiree_caf is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #103
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Just to say that even expensive chargers fail. An acquaintance of mine has the EQ and the AC part just quit after a couple of charges done. I suppose it may be protected from failing catastrophically but it did fail.
I just bought a $55 Thunder AC6 charger (Chinese I know) and it appears to be very good a t detecting # of cells and asking for confirmation and also for charging/balancing without getting itself or a pack even warm. I will use it with the understanding that either it or a battery could fail at any time.
I use computer power supplies for input to the chargers and I'm sure thousands of those have gone up in smoke also.
This thread is a good reminder. Perhaps I will "attend" more charging events in my garage from now on.

Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #104
retiree_caf
RCC Junior Contributor

Hey 4*60, I sure learned a lesson. Charging my LIPOs in an ammo box from now on...
Old 02-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #105
darrenR
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: darren r
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 15+

How do you set up the charger in the ammo box? does anyone have any pictures they could post of there safe charging methods??
Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #106
retiree_caf
RCC Junior Contributor

I don't have mine set yet but will post photos when I get it all set up.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #107
IAR 80
RCC Contributor

I am: Ovidiu M.

I just store them in ammo box, and charge them in a LiPo sack, using a Turnigy Accucell 6.Always kkep an eye on them on charge, and close to the smoke alarm, and the fire extinguisher.
IAR 80 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:12 AM   #108
tugboat
RCC Contributor

dont leave the room, fireproof container......chemical fire extiguisher standing by but not beside the charger....u need to be able to get to it!....i wrap each charging battery in several layer of kevlar cloth (kinda like a charging sack but better in terms of not burning...and containing expolsion.....

glad you and house are ok!
tugboat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:21 AM   #109
tugboat
RCC Contributor

another thing about charging thru balance leads.....a bad idea it think....often the quality of the wire on these leads is poor and becomes stiff and britttle over time....plus they get moved around alot when we mount our batts in our planes/helis....the small soldering connection has several times broken on my batteries...without warning. so better to charge through the hogher quality and higher guage power lead wire....and just use balance plug for balancing....the blance port chargers sre not that safe or realiable in my newby opinion....if not soley based on the quality and flimsy attatchment of these wires....
Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #110
tugboat
RCC Contributor

that isnt a lipo charger? is it? it looks like just a stock nickel-metal chager...??? or does it have balancing port...?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in