Tips for parallel charging - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 04-03-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
Raisin
RCC Noob

I am: Josh N
Radio of choice:
DX7s
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Tips for parallel charging

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
So I finally decided it was time to start parallel charging my pack, and I have to say, I love it! However, as I was plugging in packs to my HobbyKing parallel charging board, two of the PCB balance lines lit up and burnt away. The board will still charge packs, but I can't balance them which isn't a big issue since I would rather balance packs separately at the end of a flying session. As someone who is new to this, what are the right methods and precautions to parallel charging packs?
Raisin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #2
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136
Re: Tips for parallel charging

Doing parallel charging of single lipo packs with start voltages very close may work but multipack : NEVER . At least not at my place. Here are a couple of shots of incorrect charging procedures. Always balance charge each pack separately. If it is really necessary to get many packs charged get yourself a multi charger like Hyperion or Thunder Power.

Here are a few pictures to show the result of incorrect charging and these are not computer enhanced.
You don't want to see the rest of the workshop ! Yes you hear of people doing it that don't know better and riding on a lot of luck but I would sooner take my luck to Vegas and win big ! and no this is not my place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lipo burn counter top.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	905266   Click image for larger version

Name:	lipo burn at YYF.JPG
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	905282   Click image for larger version

Name:	lipo burn in transmitter.JPG
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	905290  
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:07 AM   #3
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

This guys advise is pretty solid.

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-...allel-charging

I've used the EP buddy parallel charging boards for quite awhile now. They are first class, not one issue. I charge conservatively, and always leave the batteries at storage voltage. EP buddy is actually called Buddy RC now. Same products, just a different name.

Daren

Old 04-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

I follow what tjinguy tech ( knows his stuff) is saying and can be used by knowledgeable users ; but there are too many out there that don't understand what 3S means, C30 discharge, and 5C charge rates are plus are not aware of or using storage charges. There are the plug and play users out there that do not have enough understanding of the full use of charging/discharging lithium batteries.

Not criticising them at all, but it is important to have a good understanding of what to do and not to do when parallel charging or varying away form the norm.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin View Post
So I finally decided it was time to start parallel charging my pack, and I have to say, I love it! However, as I was plugging in packs to my HobbyKing parallel charging board, two of the PCB balance lines lit up and burnt away. The board will still charge packs, but I can't balance them which isn't a big issue since I would rather balance packs separately at the end of a flying session. As someone who is new to this, what are the right methods and precautions to parallel charging packs?

Parallel charging can be done safely provided you have become fully familiar with the care and charging of Lipo batteries. Once you get to know the in and outs of Lipo's and RESPECT the danger and work safely to avoid it, THEN you can consider parallel charging.

Quote:
However, as I was plugging in packs to my HobbyKing parallel charging board, two of the PCB balance lines lit up and burnt away.
I do not recommend parallel charging for newcomers because of this exact reason- You made a beginner mistake and look what happened. I very strongly suspect you plugged the packs incorrectly to the balance board. Either that or you got a bum balance board from HK- If you can, post a picture if the fried section of the board and show us which ports you were plugging into when the magic smoke was released. I can provide a batter analysis of the cause of you can. Also take a picture of the backside of the board showing which circuits were fried.

Some general rules to follow:
  • Make sure all packs to be balanced charged are within .1V of each other
  • Check and DOUBLE CHECK the negative balance lead of each pack before you plug it into the parallel charging board.
  • Check and DOUBLE CHECK the negative balance lead gets plugged INTO the negative post (pin 1) on the balance board. Do this for every pack you plug in.

I generally charge at the cumulative pack rating for the packs.
IE if I charge 3 2200's, I will charge at 6.6A (Assuming your charger can handle 6.6A)

You can also parallel charge multiple capacities.
IE- 2 2200's and one 1000 can be parallel charged at 5.4A. But again, I emphasize that parallel charging should be best left to people who have aquired a significant level of experience in Lipo charging.

Lately, I do a lot less parallel charging because I now use an app that tracks the battery condition by entering the charge capacity each time I charge and discharge a pack. So to get accurate charge data history, I need to charge each pack individually. Each pack has its own unique serial number and over time, I can glean a ton of info on the pack condition and how I run it to know the overall condition of the pack. I get around the multi charge by having more chargers, each charging one pack at a time...LOL. PS- 4 port chargers are great for this

By all means, keep asking questions. Its the only way to learn

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

HMMMMM parallel charging hasn’t been a big issue been doing it for years. I finally bought a top of the line setup when the chargers could no longer supply the power to do the job. I still have the parallel boards for the Hyperion charger but rarely use it any more. I have a powerlab 8 and the parallel board recommended by them. I use 2 server power supplies in series to provide 24 volts at 47 amps. I can charge 4 to 6 of my pulse 6S 4200mAh packs at a time. It also has no problem parallel charging 6 450 mAh 2S packs for my foamies.

To safe parallel charge the packs they must be the same cell count and best if same capacity. Does not matter what state of discharge they are in the charging for individual packs will stop when the pack is full. Each battery port has multiple balance jacks for whatever cell count you are working with.

With 6 packs 6S 4200mAh connected the power available limits to just under C2 or about 6 amps each max charge rate. I have charged single and double packs as high as C4 to see what would happen and full charge indicated in 15 to 20 minutes. However on sitting the packs seem to level out and read about 96 percent charged and I find a better charged pack at C1 of C2

The Powerlab is designed for parallel charging its part of the menu when initiating the charge. The matching board is recommended for that charger. If you choose the option of charging at C1 you should never have a problem. You should never charge any lipo unless your there to keep an eye on things. I prefer to charge my packs outside where if something happens it won’t be the cause of a major fire. Pushing the packs single or in parallel is a personal choice and I only do it outside in the open and under constant supervision.

A good setup on your parallel board assures one can only plug in the pack with the proper polarity and with multiple balance jacks the plug doesn't fit right in the wrong one.

The Powerlab even tells you if you have failed to plug in one of the balance jacks or power leads.

Dennis

Last edited by Lazy Ace; 04-04-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
Raisin
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
DX7s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post

Some general rules to follow:
  • Make sure all packs to be balanced charged are within .1V of each other
  • Check and DOUBLE CHECK the negative balance lead of each pack before you plug it into the parallel charging board.
  • Check and DOUBLE CHECK the negative balance lead gets plugged INTO the negative post (pin 1) on the balance board. Do this for every pack you plug in.

Lately, I do a lot less parallel charging because I now use an app that tracks the battery condition by entering the charge capacity each time I charge and discharge a pack. So to get accurate charge data history, I need to charge each pack individually.

By all means, keep asking questions. Its the only way to learn
As far as I know, the packs were close to 0.1V of each other (all cells were between 3.7 and 3.8v). After plugging in the 4th battery, my charger displayed a voltage error and then I looked back at the board to see the spark. I've had the batteries for years so I doubt there is a problem with their connectors, and the board only allows the balance plugs to fit in one way. This wasn't the first time using this board either, so this is most likely my own error. In the photo, those are the lines that burnt. I checked the solder on the back and nothing seems amiss. Lastly, what app is it that you're using? Sounds like it would be a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4418.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	591.9 KB
ID:	909410  
Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #8
Raisin
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
DX7s

Thanks for all the helpful tips guys, if it gives me any more trouble I'll just toss the board and make my own parallel charging cable. I thought I had a firm grasp on the concept but its always a good idea to review safe procedures.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
As far as I know, the packs were close to 0.1V of each other (all cells were between 3.7 and 3.8v). After plugging in the 4th battery, my charger displayed a voltage error and then I looked back at the board to see the spark. I've had the batteries for years so I doubt there is a problem with their connectors, and the board only allows the balance plugs to fit in one way. This wasn't the first time using this board either, so this is most likely my own error. In the photo, those are the lines that burnt. I checked the solder on the back and nothing seems amiss.
That's pretty strange. Something definitely had to be wrong to do that.
From what I see, the right side of the board would now be pooched, the left side of the board would still work though.
If you are handy with a soldering iron, the board can be salvaged with a couple of jumper wires to re-connect the fried PCB segments.

Quote:
Lastly, what app is it that you're using? Sounds like it would be a good idea.
I use RC Log for android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ipo.free&hl=en

Its an excellent app. At a glance I can tell which batteries are being abused and which ones are doing OK.

It also tracks last time used, so if you put stuff in storage, you can know when the last time you checked it.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 PM   #10
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12

Quote:
As far as I know, the packs were close to 0.1V of each other (all cells were between 3.7 and 3.8v). After plugging in the 4th battery, my charger displayed a voltage error and then I looked back at the board to see the spark. I've had the batteries for years so I doubt there is a problem with their connectors, and the board only allows the balance plugs to fit in one way. This wasn't the first time using this board either, so this is most likely my own error. In the photo, those are the lines that burnt. I checked the solder on the back and nothing seems amiss. Lastly, what app is it that you're using? Sounds like it would be a good idea.
You didn't happen to plug the balance plugs in before the power plug did you? Is there no fuses or anything on that board? Without safe technology some pretty strong currents can flow via the balance jacks if plugged in first.

Check out the Cellpro balance board in the video with safe technology you plug the balance plugs in wait a bit and if the battery needs to be charged by itself the strip lights up red saving you from the problem I believe you may have had.

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=P05Im5G0uKA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYsB6anSRe4&ebc=ANyPxKqbOsOdIxLINRzv-LpjTvr6rAw2zdD7kRyYCV2278JYNDseolE_y_G6TcGKIi2N6fjQ94wA8jKVd0tut06y2Bg8kfuNng[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by Lazy Ace; 04-05-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in