Vinyl Graphics Cutters - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #41
FLYingLoW
RCC Apprentice

I am: Charles R
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1
Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Is there a source in K-W area for the Cameo??? I live in Stratford.
FLYingLoW is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #42
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYingLoW View Post
Is there a source in K-W area for the Cameo??? I live in Stratford.
Michael's Craft Stores. There is one in Waterloo, Kitchener and Cambridge. I see from their store locator that there is also two in London.
Unfortunately today was the last day of their sale at $269.99.

http://locations.michaels.com/ON/

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #43
FLYingLoW
RCC Apprentice

I am: Charles R
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Michael's Craft Stores. There is one in Waterloo, Kitchener and Cambridge. I see from their store locator that there is also two in London.
Unfortunately today was the last day of their sale at $269.99.

http://locations.michaels.com/ON/

Chris
Thank you. Will check them out. Would have been nice to take advantage of a sale but if it is as good as the comments may purchase anyway.
FLYingLoW is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #44
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10

Quote:
I have looked and see the stated max. thickness for material is 0.8 mm. I am assuming it is the max.cutting thickness for the Cameo but could be wrong. Is this the same if you only want to draw on your material?
Chris
I haven't been able to find any reference to 'maximum thickness' that this system will take. will keep looking.

I have been reading a thread on a model train site that seems to use this machine a ton for making buildings and train cars!

here is a link: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind...-cutter/page-2

Also, these units are sold by any Michael's craft store, but I am not sure who else, besides Sign Supply Canada. and their sales seem to happen relatively often it seems right now. Talk to the guys at Sign Supply, they may be able to help out.

Cheers

Have Fun!

Scott

Last edited by Carlisler; 02-06-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: sale info
Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:28 PM   #45
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Cut some vinyl today on mine and once I cut the knife and roller settings figured out, it works great. Went to sign shop here in Moncton and purchased sign vinyl 12" x 12" for $5 cash.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:05 AM   #46
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYingLoW View Post
Thank you. Will check them out. Would have been nice to take advantage of a sale but if it is as good as the comments may purchase anyway.
They will come on sale again. I have come across other stores in my search but the $269.99 seems to be the best price I have come across.
There was a Scrapbooking store in Hamilton that carried the Cameo and accessories.
http://www.discountscrapbooksupplies...houetteSD.html

Also came across another Scrapbooking Store in BC and the Cameo is on sale there at $269 with free shipping when you spend over $75.
http://www.scrapbooksbydesign.ca/ele...-cutting-tools.

Chris

Old 02-07-2014, 01:25 AM   #47
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Well I broke down, ran out and purchased a Silhouette Cameo. Can't let you guys have all the fun. Reading all the testimonials and watching the YouTube videos. It looked like this is a machine I could use. In the end I wanted to import images and cut Ultracote.

I have been setting it up the last couple of days. It was a smooth software install if anyone was wondering. It didn't take long to understand the software and I was getting close to try some cutting. Watch that first video posted as it gives the very basics to start out.
My first cut didn't go so well as the settings were too deep and I cut into the mat. LOL.

Tonight I set about to try some test runs on simple objects to adjust the cutting settings and try to line things up on the mat. By the third try I nailed it and I was cutting Ultracote cleanly but not through the backing.
Next to try something more challenging.

I have a Carl Goldberg Eaglet 50 kit that I purchased at a yard sale but it didn't include any decals.
I searched the web and found someone had scanned and posted the decals from this kit. Perfect. I imported the jpeg, traced it and then tried cutting it out of Ultracote using the settings I figured out earlier from my tests.
It came out great! The letters cut cleanly but what surprised me was the Eaglet graphic. Take a look at the pic.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eaglet.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	233901  

Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #48
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7

Getting ready to cut some vinyl. What settings are you using? Just the default settings or have you adjusted the numbers a little?
I plan on using the sticky mat.

Cutting up a storm here!

Chris

Old 02-09-2014, 01:52 PM   #49
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10

I cut Ultracote yesterday at depth of 2 for the trim and 5 with backing. there was a piece that the backing didn't stick (old I guess) and I used 4.

I have been using the SD card feature, less options but easy to use.

vinyl I have been using defaults, and set the knife to zero and the software to 1.

Knife at zero all the time so far. haven't touched it.

haven't used vinyl with the mat yet. always has a backing, and defaults for the "Silhouette brand vinyl" selection.

will advise more when I get there.

S
Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #50
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Quote:
Getting ready to cut some vinyl. What settings are you using? Just the default settings or have you adjusted the numbers a little?
I plan on using the sticky mat.

Cutting up a storm here!

Chris
Hi Chris:

I have found that the settings can be hit and miss and depends entirely on what brand of vinyl you use and also how intricate your graphic is. Your best approach is to do a number of test cuts, beginning at a relatively low cut and material thickness setting and increase each slowly until you get the desired results. The goal is to make a clean vinyl cut and just barely scoring the backing material. I find that if you cut is too deep you'll cut through the backing and if the material thickness setting is too thin (low number?), the blade holder stylus can "drag" across you work and pull out vinyl during the cut. I'm using the MacTac 8300 brand vinyl right now, sold by Sign Supply Canada. When cutting very small lettering 18-24 point, my machine setting is - cutting speed 2, material thickness 6 and blade cutting depth 4. I found that if I increase the material thickness number higher than 6, the stylus drags out some of the letters (to me this doesn't make sense, but that's what happens). And, if I use a cutting depth of less than 5, some vinyl letters aren't cut cleanly through. If you're cutting larger graphics, the settings tend not to be as critical. By the way, if your vinyl comes on a 9'-12" roll, you can just feed in the roll end and cut without the mat; it works really well and saves on material, because, at the end of the cut, you cut off only the vinyl that you needed. Once you've reached the magic best cut combination, record those numbers, either separately or make up a "custom" setting record on the Silhouette software.

I've only had my cutter for about three weeks and I'm still learning techniques almost daily, but every time I use it, I giggle like school girl, I absolutely love this thing

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in