g1975a
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15
Re: Lego Man

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Cliff, you missed my sarcasm .

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #12

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1975a View Post
Cliff, you missed my sarcasm .
Lesson to be learned: when you write something, all variables that would let others kniow that it is sarcasm are missing. Tone of voice, body language, other social items -- they all contribute to the person at the other end of the conversation knowing that you're being sarcastic or joking or really meaning it personally.

I was going to respond to your original posting but decided to let things slide. Sure enough, someone beat me to it.

Note to self and a suggestion for you. If you're going to use "sarcasm", put a HTML-like marker around it.

Like this one:
<sarcasm> Oh yeah! And your momma wears Army boots!</sarcasm>

RE: Lego Man going to the edge of space.... weather balloons are used all the time, and they carry similar-sized instrument packages. So far, nothing illegal about it and not one airplane has hit one in all the years that they've been used. Vertical movement is quite rapid so the chances of even getting close to an airplane is really low.

A model airplane might be a different story if the plane survived the ascent (thinking the drying effect of cold temeratires and low air pressure destroying the strength of the balsa.)

Gliders have been going OOS in thermals for years, and slao no reported incidents with full-sized aircraft.

Sounds like a great experiement to run at the university level. Bob Parks used modelling techniques when he helped design the Mars Flyer and figured out how to fold the plane and then have it reassemble itself upon reaching the Martian atmosphere.

Certainly MAAC's and the DOT's inputs should be asked for prior to doing any such attempts, though.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
JimBrown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-24
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) 2011-2
Part VI - General Operating and Flight Rules
602.42 No person shall release an unoccupied free balloon having a gas-carrying capacity of more than 115 cubic feet (3.256 m3) except in accordance with an authorization issued by the Minister pursuant to section 602.44.
Therefore, if your unmanned free balloon has less than 115 cubic feet of gas-carrying capacity, fill yer boots!

...jim
JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #14

Total Props: 57

Actually, if you look at the video, the balloonn is less than the height of the person holding it in position. Figure average height of 6feet, volume is 113. Looks like it's legal for the particular statute, Jim!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
YoungestPiperCub
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin King
Radio of choice:
12x
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 44

Sweet I wanna send up my gopro.

They must have a tracker... How would they find it???
YoungestPiperCub is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in