Which Power Panel is best? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
mattbeme
RCC Apprentice

I am: Mattbeme

Total Props: 0
Which Power Panel is best?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've been looking at the SIG Field Boss and the Hobbico Accu Glo MK II panels. The Hobbico has a dial to adjust power to the glo plug but the SIG has automatic adjustment. Which type of adjustment is better? Also, the SIG has an expanded votmeter for determining battery pack charge status for Tx and Rx batteries. Each panel is about the same price. Also which 12V field battery is good? Anyone have any suggestions, experiences etc. to share?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Matt, you should choose the panel with other features that you like.
Most people I know use the portable glo-ignitors, and only use the power-panel ignitor in emergencies.
The cordless portable ones are much more convenient, and safer too. (No wires near the prop)
The built-in ESV sounds like a good idea.

Go to your local electrical wholesaler and ask for a 12V 7AH emergency light battery.
You should be able to get a better price than at the hobby shop.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:35 AM   #3
mattbeme
RCC Apprentice

Thanks for the help Ron. So, basically then, since I have a portable glo driver anyways, I shouldn't bother with a panel that has a complex ignitor feature.

Old 05-22-2004, 10:58 AM   #4
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

I agree!

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #5
salty morgan

i like the portable glow driver-charger

i like the glow driver charger that's on my power panel.

i don't like powered pumps, but i like the charger feature. it also has an adjustable outlet for a glow driver.

but the expasnded volt meter is cool. i started a post on power panels last year, when i was trying to decide. i was gonna get the all in one panel i seen ina mag (it has a field charger built in), buti wanted input from other guys (that's th4e experts on here) before i made my decision. they said you don't want too many features on one peice of equipment. too much too go wrong, the i wouldn't have anything.

in the end i went with the hobbico mini panel.

i figured if i had a leak in my tank compartment, i wouldn't know till i filled my fuselage, with an electric pump. i bought a habbico mark two charger, and cam accross an expanded volt meter on the cheap.
salty morgan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
mattbeme
RCC Apprentice

Salty Morgan, you're talking about the adjustable glo driver feature which adjusts the power for the driver which connects directly to the panel? Is this a necessary feature? How do yoou know how long to keep the portable driver plugged into the panel to recharge it? Does the adjustable driver knob and meter work with the portable driver recharging feature as well? I'm just trying to be thorough, I like to buy exactly what I need the first time around!
Old 05-23-2004, 07:26 PM   #7
SpaceCowboy
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: Mike B.
Radio of choice:
FAVOURITE - JR X9303
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbeme
Salty Morgan, you're talking about the adjustable glo driver feature which adjusts the power for the driver which connects directly to the panel? Is this a necessary feature? How do yoou know how long to keep the portable driver plugged into the panel to recharge it? Does the adjustable driver knob and meter work with the portable driver recharging feature as well? I'm just trying to be thorough, I like to buy exactly what I need the first time around!
Hey Salty ; I have the glow driver charger on my panel and have rarely used it or needed to use it.

I only use it for topping up my glow driver so far.

The electric pump in my panel leaked and I had to seal it up . I still prefer the 6 shooter manual pump . That may change as I am getting into gas with a 1 litre tank .

I saw the SIG panel in Toledo and thought the ESV was a super idea. One more feature for a panel.

I have an adjustable glow driver that I use for my helis. This kind is better if you like to be in controll. Also if your starter battery is getting weak you can crank up the voltage to the green band while under load.
I am not sure if the auto one does that.

I think the choice comes down to which feature is the most important to you. There are only a couple of panels that have all the features available in one panel.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #8
salty morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
Hey Salty ; I have the glow driver charger on my panel and have rarely used it or needed to use it.

I only use it for topping up my glow driver so far.
that's what the glow driver charger does

i havn't used the adjustable out put for a wired glow driver yet (though i just bought one). i have used the charger. I only use it for topping up my glow driver so far.

lol

i also like the six shooter fuel pump. simple is better i think. i seen one guy at the field use an electric fuel pump fill the fuselage of his four star before he realized his tank was leaking.

i bought the hobbico mini panel,

http://www.hobbico.com/fieldequip/hcap0301.html#

here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hcap0301e.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	2798  
salty morgan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:34 AM   #9
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
I have a power panel with electric pump hookup, starter hookup, glow plug charger, glow plug power supply for wired power source.

I never use my hotshot charger anymore. I just push it onto the panel for a half hour or so when I'm at the field and it is always charged.
I use the electric pump religiously but have a leaky manual one as backup.
With my Hobbico quick field charger mkII and this power panel I never have to worry whether anything is charged before I go, though I may have to wait 1/2 an hour after arriving if my receiver and TX are low.

I use one of those jump start units for 12V. It was $69 and is 14AH. Much more reserve than most other batteries and comes with its own charger and indicator leds to tell you when it's charged and a gauge to tell what state of charge it is in. It was also used to start the club's lawn tractor one day this spring when I was getting it ready.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in