first run on poulan 42 conversion - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #1
marc morin
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
first run on poulan 42 conversion

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This weekend got some time and co-operating weather - 5 celcius .Picked up this engine at Princess Auto stipped it down acquired C.H. ignition and custom muffler from mr.Bisson These numbers are after 20 minute break in with 40-1 pensoil air cool 2 stoke oil.Very smooth run up from idle to full throttle .So far 18-10 seems to be my favorite I dont believe in over speeding this size engine at the expense of engine life .Any body else have run this engine and what are the RPM numbers for comparison .

7500 rpm master airscrew classic series plastic 18-8
6500 " " " wood 18-10
6500 " big heavy Dynathrust plastic 20-6
marc morin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

I have done a couple of these conversions. I average 6700 with an APC 20x10. Your numbers should improve with break in I suspect.
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
marc morin
RCC Apprentice

thanks for the reply treecutter .I've been informed that my timming procedure might be wrong : spark does not occur till after magnet passes sensor not as they are opposite . Weather permitting will try tommorow

Old 03-14-2005, 08:34 AM   #4
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

Thats true of the timing. The sensor fires when the magnetic field is removed. So after the magnet passes by. I used 28o BTDC as my fixed timing point. That could give you quite a bit more power. Have fun!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
marc morin
RCC Apprentice

Today was another sunny day in northern Ont.Whent out to give new timming settings a try gainned 400RPM on 18-10 prop for a total of 6900RPM .With a 20inch prop should get 20lbs of thrust no problem
Old 03-14-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

Thats the ticket! I have one ready to go into my 1/3 scale Pitts. Should be plenty of fun
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in