General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #1
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20
Airplane Differences

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've been wondering what differences there are between the various models such as an Extra 260, Extra 330, Extra 330L, Edge 540, etc etc.

I've tried to google these but have only been able to come up with the [u]individual[/u[] planes, no real head-to-head comparisons on the different aspects of each plane.

For example, I have a 330L. If I were to get a 260, am I basically just getting an identical (ie: similar) plane? If I went to 540, is it basically the same plane?

Looking for comparisons on abilities, structural differences (coupling, loading, etc) and such.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
jake_027
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dave V
Radio of choice:
Spektrum ix14

Total Props: 5
Re: Airplane Differences

I have the H9 Extra 260 (27%) so I pay attention to other Extras that I see at the field. One of the biggest differences I noticed is that the Extra 260 has larger control surfraces. The Extra 300 and 330's appear to have very narrow elevators and ailerons whereas the 260 has larger elevators, ailerons and rudder important for 3D flight.

This was my observation that has to be taken with a grain of salt. I say this because:

- Not all of the planes observed were the same scale or made by the same manufacturer.
- I'm not sure how scale any of these planes are in relation to the full size aircraft.
- It's possible when the H9 Extra 260 was designed, they chose to oversize the control surfaces in order to make a better flying RC plane since they were recommending a DA 50 for it.

This is just my observation.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited by jake_027; 07-30-2008 at 12:22 PM.
jake_027 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad J
Radio of choice:
Jr 9503
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2

IMHO,

It is hard to compare models as each company has their own version of the scale model, but I believe the extra 260 typically has a higher wing and the 300 and 330 have a mid wing and the 300l has a lower wing. The edge has a less tapered leading edge then the extra. The control surfaces will vary from company to company dependent upon the targeted flying characteristics of the plane(eg. bigger surfaces for more 3d style, smaller surfaces for more imac, areobatic style). Probably more often then not though the smaller control surfaces are from older kits and would be a more aerobatic style plane as 3d style of flying wasn't so prevalent a few years back. This is my take on it anyways. Brad.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
samsrc
RCC Contributor

I am: Sam Filippelli

Total Props: 0

Although aerobatic airplanes have very similar attributes, and often look very similar, they are not exactly the same. With out getting into too many details. The Extra 260 is a single seater, mid wing, aerobatic airplane. The Extra 330 is a single seater with a slightly lowered wing, and has added counter balances on the control surfaces. The 330L has an even lower wing, and the Edge 540 has very different design, in that the main wing has a straight leading edge as opposed to the more tappered designs of the Extra's.
Now if you want to know which is best? Well that is a debate that never ends, but on the positive, gives modellers something to talk about when they are waiting for their turn to fly. Each of the designs you mentioned have their pluses and minuses. In the end they are all great designs, and you will have to make your decision based on which will best suit your needs/tastes.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager_663rd View Post
I've been wondering what differences there are between the various models such as an Extra 260, Extra 330, Extra 330L, Edge 540, etc etc.

I've tried to google these but have only been able to come up with the [u]individual[/u[] planes, no real head-to-head comparisons on the different aspects of each plane.

For example, I have a 330L. If I were to get a 260, am I basically just getting an identical (ie: similar) plane? If I went to 540, is it basically the same plane?

Looking for comparisons on abilities, structural differences (coupling, loading, etc) and such.
IMAC # 3534
samsrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #5

Total Props: 57

The Extra 300 was developed from the early 1980s Extra 230 but the wing is no longer made of wood. The aircraft has a welded steel tube fuselage covered in fiberglass and fabric. The mid-set wing has a carbon fiber composite spar and fiberglass skins. A symmetrical airfoil, mounted with a zero angle of incidence, provides equal performance in both upright and inverted flight. The landing gear is fixed taildragger style with composite main legs and fiberglass wheel pants. The powerplant is a fuel-injected Lycoming AEIO-540 which produces 300 horsepower (224 kW).

The Extra 300 is stressed for +/- 10 G with one person on board and +/- 8G with two. Some Extra 300s are registered as Experimental Exhibition aircraft in the U.S., while others are certified in the Aerobatic category[1].

The Extra 300 has given rise to several models: the 300S, 300SH, 300SHP, 330, 300XS, 300L, 300LP, 300SP, and 300SHP.

The Extra 260 was based on the Extra 230 with a a 260hp AEIO-540 engine, a 300-like wing, and the predecessor to the 300. Only a few were made.
The 300S is the (S)ingle-seater version, with a wingspan reduced by 1 ft 7½ in., and fitted with larger ailerons.
The Extra 330SX was a custom development of the 300S with a wider-chord rudder, a larger elevator, and a more powerful Lycoming AEIO-580 powerplant producing 330 hp (246 kW). Some 300S were sold with the "bigger tail" of the 330SX.
More Extra 300L ("L" for low wing) aircraft have been produced than any other model. Its wing is mounted at the bottom of the fuselage, with its span reduced from 26 ft 3 in (8.00 m) to 24 ft 3 in (7.39 m). Improved ailerons boost the 300L's roll rate to 400 degrees per second. All 300Ls are fully certified under FAA and European Joint Aviation Authorities regulations.
The 300LP ("P" for performance) is a reduced weight version of the 300L, re-designed for better performance in competitions and airshows.
The 300SP is a performance version of the 300S single-seater. Weight was reduced, and the tail of the 330SX installed.[2]
The 300SHP (HP=High performance) is a yet-uncertified version of the 300SP with an AEIO-580 engine.
The Extra 300SR is a modified aircraft using a specially designed high-lift wing for the Red Bull Air Race World Series. It made promising debuts in July 2007.
The Extra 300SC will be a modified 300SHP which will use a new wing with better roll rate and easier roll stops, designed specifically for competition.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #6

The Zivko Edge 540 manufactured by Zivko Aeronautics is a world-class, highly aerobatic aircraft. Capable of a 420 degree per second roll rate and a 3,700 foot per minute climb rate, it has been flown to victory on the international Unlimited aerobatics circuit several times since the mid-1990s. A tandem-seat version is sold as the Edge 540T.

The Zivko Edge 540X is the most common aircraft used in the Red Bull Air Race World Series, in fact all champions of the World Series have flown the Zivko Edge 540X

[edit] Specifications (Edge 540)
Data from Edge Homepage, Edge Air Races Datasheet

General characteristics

Crew: one pilot
Capacity: pilot only
Length: 6.27 m (20 ft 7 in)
Wingspan: 7.42 m (24 ft 4 in)
Height: 2.87 m (9 ft 5 in)
Wing area: 9.1 m² (98 ft²)
Empty weight: 531 kg (1,170 lb)
Loaded weight: 703 kg (1,550 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 816 kg (1,800 lb)
Powerplant: 1× Modified Lycoming IO-540, 254 kW (340 hp)
Performance

Maximum speed: 426 km/h (265 mph)
Range: km (miles)
Service ceiling m (ft)
Rate of climb: 1,189 m/min at 425 m (3,700 ft/min)
Power/mass: 0.472 hp/kg (0.214 hp/lb)
Roll rate: 420°/sec
Old 07-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #7

All of the above came from Wikipedia. There is also quite a bit of info on the extra website.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
voyager_663rd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len, an RPAS pilot

Total Props: 20

And this is the sort of stuff I'm looking at.

Sam kinda hit the nail on the head (on my head): they are all similar yet they are all different.

I guess I don't have "needs" yet. I didn't want to get another extra (I love the one I have as to its gentleness and wildness), but I just wanted to make sure because I didn't necessarily want to get an extra "look-a-like".

Thanks!

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 07-30-2008 at 02:53 PM.
voyager_663rd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #9
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Cap321EX is sort of self explanitory. Cap 321 with one of MR Extra's wings on it.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in