Does MAAC have model aircraft instructor courses? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #1
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Wayne MIller
Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 9
Does MAAC have model aircraft instructor courses?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi,

I was just wondering if MAAC has model aircraft instructor courses? That is, does MAAC give courses to insure instructors meet their standards, and then hand out certificates stating the standards have been met?

Just curious.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Wayne MIller is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Donovan R

Total Props: 0
Morning Wayne

Please check with your MAAC Zone Director.

I would say no, that is no courses and no certificates.

cheers
Don Dow
4664L
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303

Certs

Hi Don,

Thanks. By the way, what's this with you having a lower MAAC number than me?

Fly4Fun,

Wayne

Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Instructors course

Hi Wayne

I think they have a document that establishes what the instructor must be capable of but it's up to each club to ensure compliance and certify their instructors.

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 AM   #5

Total Props: 57
In our club the Sunparlor RC Flyers the executive appoints a Chief Flying Instructor. The Chief Flying instructor observes and works with the instructors and those wishing to become instructors. Any new instructors have to be recommended through him to the executive of the club and then the executive vote to approve the new instructors. Its not fool proof but it seems to work well. We have between 15 and 20 instructors with probably 5 to 10 active on a regular basis.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Re: Does MAAC have model aircraft instructor courses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MIller
Hi,

I was just wondering if MAAC has model aircraft instructor courses? That is, does MAAC give courses to insure instructors meet their standards, and then hand out certificates stating the standards have been met?

Just curious.

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
I think thats a good question Wayne but there are some issues that come to mind in considering how one would answer that question. Basically, the answer is NO! But its a bit more complicated than that!

It is somewhat difficult to get good instructors now, but consider if instructors were required to take a MAAC course, study and do a written and a practical test, and then a whole series of set standards were to be strictly adhered to wherein the instructors would be held seriously accountable to exactly follow those standards!

I'm not saying that instructors do not take there responsibility seriously, they do, but this kind of formal burocracy would deter most people. Remember, this is a voluntary organization. Instructors dedicate their own time, and monitary expense to help out their clubs in this way and I personally feel they do an excellent job. Adding a whole bunch of red tape to this voluntary position would be a deterant, not a help! And how do you expect MAAC would follow through to assure that those standards are strictly adhered to for a number of instructors, in each club, in all of Canada? It would be a monumental task!

There has been debates on here over and over again about MAAC setting rules, guidelines and standards and how they are able to assure that these are adhered to and how one set of standards can work the same for each individula club. Just think of the work load this would be adding!

Yes, maybe the system as it is now needs to be looked at and changes made but its working now and change takes time. They already have the guidelines in place. Its up to each individual club to use those guidelines and change them to suit their club, and here again, I personally feel that this should be done on a club level. No one set of hard and fast rules can work the same for each club. While rules are needed, and MAAC has set the guidelines, now each club takes those and revamps them to suit their particular set of circumstances and so far, and again although not perfect, they seem to be working quite well.

Maybe its something that each club could look at doing for those who want to be seriously involved in instructing but I don't think you could make it manditory and have it work out successfully. And just because a set of particular rules works well for the club in the next city, doesn't mean that its suitable or will work perfectly for our club! Or just because we do things this way, that the next club should do the same. Everyones circumstances are different. There are a lot of things to take into consideration! MHO!

Perhaps this is something we can have a civil discussion on here! How do you chose your instructors in your own club? What qualifications do you look for in an instructor? How do you monitor the progress of each student to assure that they getting the proper training and are fully capable to qualify for their wings? And once they receive their wings, how do you follow through with these new pilots so that they are continueing to progress and remain safe and competent pilots? Its one thing to always be on your best behavour when with or under the direction of an instructor while in training, but once on their own, do they continue to follow the rules and safety proceedures learned while a novice?

Just some food for thought and again this is only MHO!

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
Wayne MIller
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
Hitec A9 JR 9303

Instructors

Hi,

I'm just trying to understand the logic. MAAC insures the modelers, makes recommendations for instructor training, but does not run any instructor courses nor verifies instructors are qualifired to train students.

It seems to me that we are leaving ourselves wide open if the insurers want to deem a student was not trained by a "qualified and properly trained" instructor after a claim. Also, are people who learn to fly themselves (no club in area) covered by MAAC insurance?

Wouldn't it be wise to put an instructor training course in place so there is no question that all MAAC instructors are qualified all student instruction is consistant?

I'm sure this must have been discussed before, is there anyone who can explain the history and logic of not having a qualified MAAC instructor course?

Fly4Fun,

Wayne Miller
Old 07-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Ajax has a similar practice.

Potential instructors are invited to help out with engine tuning, pre-flighting and generally helping students get ready for lessons.
Post flight, if there is any work to be done (e.g. trimming, engine setup etc), these same people assist the student in this process. Gradually they are brought into general instruction by spending more time at the flightline, taking over instruction while a qualified instructor demonstrates, assists, critiques, coaches, and mentors (in that order).

The instructor "test" typically consists of giving a "problem student" to the mature instructor-in-training and having them put them through their paces while the rest of the instructors observe his instruction technique....

It's not just flying ability that makes a good instructor, it's also the ability to impart information to a variety people who respond to different stimuli. Some are visual learners, you need to demonstrate to these people, some auditory, they learn best by you talking them through a situation, still others are conceptual, they want the big picture and to understand the forces at play.... etc. The key ability that makes a good instructor is the ability to recognize this trait in the student and adapt the instruction to meet these traits. Both the instructor and the student need to be good listeners and observers.
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #9
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Donovan R

Evening Wayne

Old age.

cheers
Don Dow
4664L
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #10
skypupnut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: jean c blouin
Radio of choice:
hitec polk spektrum
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 2
very interresting post
have been instructing for more than 30 years but the friendly
way and often wondering if there is a bether way
to me there is no better feeling than seeing my past students enjoying the hobby and bringing other to me to enjoy it also

Jean
Skype jean.blouin
skypupnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in