Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
miamiquasar
RCC Noob

I am: Miami Q

Total Props: 0
Engine craps-out in the air...

Hi folks,
Lucky thing(& no wonder) I fly electric too,or I'd get very little flying done indeed...as I've had rotten luck with several of my engines.I have recently began ATTEMPTING flight with my old OS.40fp again & remembered just why I put it away years ago!The engine will run perfectly on the ground,Starts easily,idles reliably & will run the tank dry without a problem...but as soon as you attempt flight & climb-out for a few seconds it will die.Every time.It frustrated me into "retiring"the engine years ago & seems to headed towards "hammer retirement"now!!!

It's probably something simple too...

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
M.Q.
miamiquasar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
JimBrown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-24
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Sounds like it's too lean to me.

After you start it, and adjust it, do you hold the plane straight up at full throttle and see if there is any change in the engine RPM? If the RPM drops, it's too lean.

...jim
JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:01 PM   #3
Cdallas2
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris D

If Jim's idea doesn't work also see if the tank center line is mounted too far below the needle valve.
Chris Dallas MAAC#41367

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Cdallas2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:01 PM   #4
miamiquasar
RCC Noob

thanks...

Hey guys,

Yes it runs fine when held in a vertical attitude on the ground.I do with all my engines.I also use a digital tach to set the needle & so don't believe this to be a question of leaning.I'm about to check the tank,replace the plumbing,maybe tear off the carb & clean it...

Keeping my fingers crossed.(not while on the sticks!)

Regards.

M.Q.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:38 AM   #5
miamiquasar
RCC Noob

Oh Brother...

OH BROTHER...!!
I mean come on...Shame on me!!This is a modified trainer that I hung up years(9)ago due to a "balky"engine which began to quit in the air.I am now flying high performance stuff & have maybe 17 or so models ie/ sport,warbird,biplane,sailplane,slope,electric,sca

le,float,scratchbuilt etc.A couple of times over the years I have even taken the model down & gave it another try to no avail.It still quit in the air with fresh fuel & plug & cleaning & yadayada.For nine years I have had a perfectly good engine hanging above my head in my shop in a model with a kinked tank line!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!I couldn't spell a loud enough Homer Simpson "DOH!!!!" to express the one I felt!

Nor is the smilie I have selected near large enough to express the one I wore all yesterday afternoon,running a half gallon through that old trainer & I mean IN THE AIR!!!

Now the trainer retires for real & the engine finds new life in any number of projects...

Nine years modelling experience later & I overlooked one of the fundamentals...Oh well,It turned out to be a happy ending afterall.Thanks. Regards.M.Q.
Old 09-07-2003, 06:58 PM   #6
Cdallas2
RCC Contributor

I am: Chris D

That's kinda like when you struggle for twenty minutes trying to get your engine started only to realise (after pulling off the cowl, tank and lots of other stuff) that you forgot to push the trim up on your transmitter.
Chris Dallas MAAC#41367

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Cdallas2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:40 PM   #7
miamiquasar
RCC Noob

...For NINE YEARS!!!

HAHA...near 3/4 gallon through it now since it's "rebirth" & all of in the air(well except for taxiing).Still on the old trainer but not for long!!

Regards.
M.Q.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in