Ballooned Lipo? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
Mike_86_68

Total Props: 0
Ballooned Lipo?

You know how you can touch the tips together of an Nicd or Nimh and get a little spark and nothing happens after that... Well... Lets say I accidently did that with a Lipo. The wires went to jelly and the pack went to about 50% thicker than it was before. After a couple of days of inactivity, it seems to me it is just air that is inside that just expanded rapidly because of the heat. I have been scared to do anything with it since that day. I need to know whether or not it is still safe to use so that my Triton dosent get screwed up if I tried to charge it. If it isnt good anymore... it was an expensive expirament. If I were to do that for an hour... it would cost about 1.44 million dollars. Just some trivia

IS IT DEAD?!?!?!?

Mike M
Mike_86_68 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
Legend4
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Trevor S

Hi Mike,
I am not 100% sure if its true or not. But I remember reading that when the covers of these batteries are broken they will start on fire! Something to do with the lithium reacting to oxygen. Hopeful someone could verify this . Till then please be careful!
Trevor
Legend4 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:30 PM   #3
treecutter
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Chris l

I had a pack do that after being discharged too low (it spent the night in a tree) I tried to trickle charge it and it ballooned..I soaked it in salt water and threw it out. No point in taking chances with it. Now if you want to experiment, and have an extra battery lead and a bullet proof box, I would blow it up for fun!!
treecutter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

Please put this battery inside a pyrex dish and place it outside as soon as you have read this post. If that foil that covers this battery ruptures it will immediately bust into flames. The lithium reacts insantly to oxygen and will begin to flame instantly without any other sorce of ignition. These batteries burn at very high tempuratures and often consume objects around them starting other fires that can spread. This pack is most definitely no longer useable and you should count yourself lucky that you were not injured when this happened. The correct method of disposal is to immerse these packs in heavily salted water which deactivates something in the pack that will make it stable. The part I am not sure of is if you are to puncture the pack before immersion.

There are very informative posts on RC Groups. Just do a search on that site and you should come up with some good threads.

Your battery is very dangerous to have near anything flamable and should be delt with as soon as possible.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I also caution you on blowing it up. This can cause serious damage to your charger.

I was typing a little fast in the last post so please excuse the spelling mistakes. I felt it necessary to get the info up a.s.a.p.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:02 PM   #6
recon
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Brady
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

Hmm, its both Mike's and My own battery for our hummingbird and I have it now sitting on the counter in my garage. I will go toss it on the gravel in my back yard, should be safe there until tomorrow.
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I would get it out of any kind of structure (house, garage, shed). If you are concerned about moisture through it in a ziploc until you find out exactly how to dispose of it properly.

I'm glad to hear you got to read my reply before it caused any damage.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:28 AM   #8
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am going to try and create a link to a site that shows a lipo burning. Hope this works.

http://www.helihobby.com/html/rc_hel...rs_videos.html

The lipo video is down near the bottom of the page.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
recon
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Brady
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 6

yeah, ive seen that video from another thread on this site. Kinda scary!
MAAC #63500
recon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in