My First Guy need advice....! - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #11
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: My First Guy need advice....!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've drifted away from helis to larger scale aircraft, but still have my hand in and several projects set aside for future builds and mods. In fact, just grabbed my first nitro machine from another RCC member and looking forward to seeing if I can combine different makes and models into a "Frankenheli".

Here's my take on things:

Invest in a good flight sim and charger. Both will pay for themselves.

Helis are dynamic and unstable, so it's highly likely you will do a boink or three while learning to fly. I would STRONGLY advise doing initial on the sim as these can also be extremely dangerous to yourself, others and property. You also get to maintain and advance your skills by resetting in seconds, rather than waiting around for spares and repair parts to arrive, then fixing all the bent/broken bits.

The problem is correct setup and repair make a huge difference to how the machine will fly. No amount of experience may help if not mechanically correct or improperly rigged.

One other consideration is that the clones have improved immensely from when I began. Early on their quality suffered and control slop was considerable, meaning it felt like you were flying a wet noodle. The secondary factor is the number of stability systems has increased, allowing you to take advantage of many levels of help in taming the beast.

That does not mean you need to invest in the newest and best. Many stock gyros such as the Futaba 401, (just be careful to avoid cheap clones there) and the Logitech 2100 were the standards and more than adequate for good control.

Although getting a bit long in the tooth now, I have a sticky on gyro set up here:

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...highlight=Gyro

Here is where you may want to invest some extra money and could be a point of contention for some. DO NOT skimp on servos, especially considering the amount of work a tail servo does during a single flight. I personally stick with the Hitec HS-65's that for years were THE cyclic servo of choice. I avoided the metal geared versions, especially during learning, due to the fact at least the Karbonite gears would let go under impact forces, rather than destroy the entire servo and other mechanicals.

There are lots of little things that we can help you with once we have an idea of specifics or any questions you may have.

In the long run, it would help to have a second set of experienced eyes in both assembly, setup and training.

I just bought a CellPro 10S, so have a 4S I updated with back lit display that will be for sale soon. Busy getting ready for the Holidays so other priorities for the moment.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
That new guy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Richie Rich

Total Props: 0
Quick someone tell me how to give someone props. (Hahahahaha props)
It's not bump right that's what you write to ask for the price to come down???
Is there a thread here or a good one
That makes my next steps stupid proof....
Basically intro to helis this is called the rotor. See diagram picture 1A ....
Hahaha no seriously full update coming up. Need answer to first question though to do it right
Any help helps
Is it +1 +2........???????
That new guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
heli-insane
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Z
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 20

Great advice from all members, Mike definitely hit all the important steps to learning how to succeed in this hobby for sure.

The smack talk rc videos are also great and very cost effective, that have a ton of great info that will help to make a lot of sense of everything.

A good quality simulator is definitely where to start, there are many good sims out there and some are more cost effective then others. I will agree with Mike that RealFlight 7 is definitely your best bet and very beginner friendly.

I would also recommend finding a local rc heli guy that can help you out with setups and learning the basics.

Hell I still get help as there is so much to learn and a second set of eyes to check over your setup is always a good practice. "thanks Mike" LOL

It's definitely a great hobby with many challenges and definitely not easily mastered. Welcome to the dark side.

Cheers Keith

Last edited by heli-insane; 12-16-2014 at 04:59 PM.
heli-insane is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
That new guy
RCC Apprentice

Ok Full Update here we go.... (How I got him till now)

Crazy night... Finished making the family dinner kissed the baby and I was off....

Was supposed to leave a half hour ago hope speednut waits for me....

A panic attack cause I thought I was getting on the 407 got off GPS kicking my butt

Made it!!! WRONG meeting place call speednut.....

He'll come to me....

Saw Big Guy for the first time almost hugged speednut...

Ok play it cool know you're excited but don't wanna scare off speednut....hahahaha

Speednut gave me the quick rundown replace gyro mainshaft etc.

Honest guy I really appreciated that saved me a bunch-o-time figuring it out myself.
On the way home couldn't stop looking at him and well grinning...

Got back to the house and did the dance....
Tucked him in for the night in his temp. hanger...

Took him to Skycraft the next day $40 worth of repairs WHOO HOO!!!

So the next few days were spent (melting my brain)trying to find the bits n pieces YOU guys told me to shop for.....

Not cheap (Tx) and if you find a deal on here the guys don't answer private messages...

Some guys are good about it though... thanks (Eclipse 7)

Ok questions

If the deal presents itself couldn't I get a different brand tx and receiver?

If so... what tx's and recievers work in my heli class?.. Tripped over these on here

Watcha think bout a

Fubata 7 with 2.4ghz module???? worth my time???

or

Turborix transmitter 6ch

Futaba 9CAP radio with 2.4 modules

FlySky FS-i6 2.4GHz 6 Channel Transmitter (Mode 2) JoeT is this the same one

Honestly
!. It is a Budget thing.
2. He friggin scares me
3. A charger and the ability to wind it up (spool) once a week n I'm happier than a ...... (time to get used to the power)
4. Looking at him n trying to name the parts is where the fun is right now

Another glance........ with the blue metal upgrades
OK Thanks again guys/gals next post catch up to my folks passing thru...
Thought this day was a long way away but here we are....
Still lots more questions for you guys/gals try to post them as soon as I can
Old 12-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Along with possible lack of support and help from the forum when it comes time to set up the programming on a less popular radio make, one thing that can come out to bite on the lower price systems I've seen are extremely cheap and not so durable control pots. I had one Tx that came with a heli package that had pot failure in 20 MINUTES!!!!! From a heli forum for that model it became apparent this was the norm.

I've flown Futaba for 3 decades and every system has been rock solid reliable, (not one pot failure, even on a 20+ year old Tx). Have worked with the Spektrum 6i and 7, setting up the helis for my friend. The 6i was not too bad, although there have been a lot of reports of the 7 having problems. Some of them may be flight system power issues.

Now have the Futaba 9C mostly for the number of channels. Heli programming from the 8U Super was a pretty straightforward swap. Just the CAMPAC could not directly transfer.

I have the JR 10X airplane, so could not say how their heli version works, (they do NOT combine the heli airplane and gliders as with Futaba and other makes. Each has its own specific transmitter version of the same model). Perhaps it's just me, but it seems JR have the strangest and most convoluted programming I've ever seen.

On the aforementioned flight system power problems, if you are building your 450 look to run the radio and servos with a separate BEC. This still sources from the same battery, just it avoids any problems if the speed control heats up during running. They are also generally of higher current capacity than combi ESC/BEC rigs. You can purchase a good 5/6V selectable BEC with at least 5A rating for a song now. From what I've seen the onboard units can be as low as 2-3A on a good day.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8, NX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 30

Hey Richie..

I have this collection of basic gear if you're looking for some local items. (See Pic)
  • DX6i is in great shape.
  • Charger works perfectly, just missing one of the button covers.
  • Power Supply is from an IBM laptop. It's portable and gives a safe 4.5A.
  • Spare main shaft and some spare feathering shafts for 450.
  • 3S 2200 Spyder Lipo for setup. I've never used this battery, but it's flat and solid and kept in storage mode in a cool place.

$100 takes it all... (If you solemnly promise never to take advice from anyone who lives on Wolfe Island)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141218_212201.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	503010  
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #17
That new guy
RCC Apprentice

Twisted Edge I'm not worthy

Yes PLEASE

It'll take me a bit t scrape the funds together but i deff would like it

Thanks a lot bro...

Though I know $ talks..

If you have it up in FS take it down hahahaha
Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #18
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8, NX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 30

No Rush.. Send me a PM whenever you're ready.
(just note that I'm allergic to emoticons)
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Rich, which version 450 do you have? Could not tell from the pic, but it looks like an SE V2. If so then the feathering shafts are the larger stepped type. Also cannot tell from his pic, but if those are stepped the ones from twistedge should work.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
That new guy
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-insane View Post
Great advice from all members, Mike definitely hit all the important steps to learning how to succeed in this hobby for sure.

The smack talk rc videos are also great and very cost effective, that have a ton of great info that will help to make a lot of sense of everything.

A good quality simulator is definitely where to start, there are many good sims out there and some are more cost effective then others. I will agree with Mike that RealFlight 7 is definitely your best bet and very beginner friendly.

I would also recommend finding a local rc heli guy that can help you out with setups and learning the basics.

Cheers Keith
yea Keith

All the folks on here are amazing..
I'm watching vids of guys putting together 450's
I am definitely taking you guys/gals advice. The Sim is next on the list...
Bout 50hrs aughta do it...
Get the muscle memory I need to make actual flight less stressful
I'll start a thread to see if any one in my area wants to take me under their porp. (Main rotor jus sounds worng)
(In a whisper hey Twisted edge...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post

I've flown Futaba for 3 decades and every system has been rock solid reliable, (not one pot failure, even on a 20+ year old Tx).

On the aforementioned flight system power problems, if you are building your 450 look to run the radio and servos with a separate BEC. This still sources from the same battery, just it avoids any problems if the speed control heats up during running. They are also generally of higher current capacity than combi ESC/BEC rigs. You can purchase a good 5/6V selectable BEC with at least 5A rating for a song now. From what I've seen the onboard units can be as low as 2-3A on a good day.
Looking into those tx's good prices I'll get one after Im all set...I'll throw a few to you in a pm for help picking best match...
I love the detail you go into...Glad it's here so I can refer to it when i need to... (which I have done while in the FS section)
So the things that are this color are things you've made me look up...hahahahaha
keep it coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedge View Post
Hey Richie..

(If you solemnly promise never to take advice from anyone who lives on Wolfe Island)
Hahahahahaha Never that bro...
You me n RCcanuck should get -----together next summer n fly our birds around.... now that's worth taping hahahaha...
I'll be the one behind the tree...
I will remember your allergy hahahaha

Quote:
Rich, which version 450 do you have? Could not tell from the pic, but it looks like an SE V2. If so then the feathering shafts are the larger stepped type. Also cannot tell from his pic, but if those are stepped the ones from twistedge should work.
I'm not sure bro I'll ask Speednut....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCcanuck View Post
Dont listen to these guys...none of them even know how to fly without training gear on. Specially the mikekimc guy and twistedge guy! Just spool it up full throttle...and let her rip. You'll learn how to fly it from there. Make sure you video tape the maiden and post it on this thread!

SUBSCRIBED!
Hahahahaha I laughed my butt off when I read this....
Don't worry RCcanuck I'll tape myself going wee wee the first time i wind him up...
Always good to have a wild card in da bunch

Quote:

, I have a sticky on gyro set up here:

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...highlight=Gyro
Reading your sticky and hunting for servos now...

Final thoughts

Hunting for the Sim...
Try to master that while fixing him up...
Gyros and servos next...
Need an answer on the props thing need to give speednut rating not sure how...?
Feel free to rule because you guys/gals do....

Tags
first heli , transmitter 6ch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in