My First Guy need advice....! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
That new guy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Richie Rich

Total Props: 0
My First Guy need advice....!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey all...

Looks like I'll be getting my first heli today! It's a 450 T- Rex clone...

bump to speednut.... is that how that's done?

No batteries or (tx) transmitter that's what I need help with receiver is a

dsm2 what transmitter should i be looking for? He says Spectrum any 6ch

model will do???

Basic programmable and well cheap for now looks like i'll need a $100 one eventually.

OK what kinda lipo battery do i need? largest size/capacity?

any suggestions help would be great

wish me luck...

a few pics of Big Guy

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/albu...ictureid=11466

in case pics don't work
That new guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #2
mikekimc
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: MikeC
Radio of choice:
RCA

Total Props: 41
Re: My First Guy need advice....!

Batteries for a trex 450 ... you will need 3cell 2200mAH lipo with a minimum of 30C discharge rate ... as for a Radio that runs on DSM2 ... look for a JR or Spektrum radio ... a Spektrum DX6 minimum. Depending on how serious you are about the hobby ... I would say DX7 would be a better choice or a JR 9503.

Cheers
Mike
mikekimc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
That new guy
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekimc View Post
Batteries for a trex 450 ... you will need 3cell 2200mAH lipo with a minimum of 30C discharge rate ... as for a Radio that runs on DSM2 ... look for a JR or Spektrum radio ... a Spektrum DX6 minimum. Depending on how serious you are about the hobby ... I would say DX7 would be a better choice or a JR 9503.

Cheers
Mike
Thanks mike I'm melting my brain looking now...

With that battery how much fly time is that?
How many battery packs should I go thru (safely)before letting engine cool down?
Thanks again

Old 12-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #4
mikekimc
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
RCA

That all depends on the motor esc set up and the type of flying you do. Hard 3D I would safely say 4:00 to 4:30 minutes. Hover only 6:30 to 7 minutes again that all depends on the set up of the heli. As far as cool down ... you can fly the batteries back to back with little to no cool down!
Old 12-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
That new guy
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
That all depends on the motor esc set up and the type of flying you do. Hard 3D I would safely say 4:00 to 4:30 minutes. Hover only 6:30 to 7 minutes again that all depends on the set up of the heli. As far as cool down ... you can fly the batteries back to back with little to no cool down!
That's a HUGE help

thanks again mike

looking for a battery n charger ya'll feel free to chime in with used deals or
deals on the net....
Old 12-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
JoeT
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Tandemist (Ex Horusist)
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 65

I have that exact Heli, it came with Flysky T6 Transmitter. Works really really well, it's how I learned how to fly Heli's. if you've never flown before, the "Ping Pong Ball" training gear is well worth it to teach yourself how to maneuver the heli without getting off the ground.

The training gear will save you tons of rotors and shafts if you do land hard. There are a couple of charges available at the classifieds section of RCCanada that you can use. Any LiPo charger will be fine.

Enjoy
Skywing Edge 540 V3 Build: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rcan...9580468180020/
Skywing NG Build: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rcan...4310223707045/
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM   #7
mikekimc
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
RCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by That new guy View Post
That's a HUGE help

thanks again mike

looking for a battery n charger ya'll feel free to chime in with used deals or
deals on the net....
For 3s any good hobby king charger will do but again it all depends on how serious you are about the hobby ... Helis have a very steep learning curve and are extremely costly to learn on. I would suggest to keep your cost down and restrict the size of heli you decide to learn with. A good sim is where you should invest your money on ... May I suggest Real Flight7 ... it's a great tool for learning orientation and such as long as it's used as a learning tool and not a game!
Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
twistedge
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ed
Radio of choice:
DX8, NX8
# of RCs: ½

Total Props: 30

Ditto on the steep learning curve...The combination of a simulator and a little indoor flyer (like an MSR) can do wonders for muscle memory, orientation training, and confidence.

I think it can be a little tricky to adopt a clone that needs work, especially if you're new to the CP heli game.

I recommend spending some time reading about head setup... The fact that's new to you and it needs work after a crash... means it's worth your while to go over the setup carefully.

My second recommendation is to learn what you can about that gyro (FMT009). If it were me, I'd be looking for an upgrade there. High quality Flybar gyros should be fairly reasonably priced these days...
twistedge is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
That new guy
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
I have that exact Heli, it came with Flysky T6 Transmitter. Works really really well, it's how I learned how to fly Heli's. if you've never flown before, the "Ping Pong Ball" training gear is well worth it to teach yourself how to maneuver the heli without getting off the ground.

The training gear will save you tons of rotors and shafts if you do land hard. There are a couple of charges available at the classifieds section of RCCanada that you can use. Any LiPo charger will be fine.

Enjoy
Quote:
For 3s any good hobby king charger will do but again it all depends on how serious you are about the hobby ... Helis have a very steep learning curve and are extremely costly to learn on. I would suggest to keep your cost down and restrict the size of heli you decide to learn with. A good sim is where you should invest your money on ... May I suggest Real Flight7 ... it's a great tool for learning orientation and such as long as it's used as a learning tool and not a game!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedge View Post
Ditto on the steep learning curve...The combination of a simulator and a little indoor flyer (like an MSR) can do wonders for muscle memory, orientation training, and confidence.

I think it can be a little tricky to adopt a clone that needs work, especially if you're new to the CP heli game.

I recommend spending some time reading about head setup... The fact that's new to you and it needs work after a crash... means it's worth your while to go over the setup carefully.

My second recommendation is to learn what you can about that gyro (FMT009). If it were me, I'd be looking for an upgrade there. High quality Flybar gyros should be fairly reasonably priced these days...

Ok Guys/Gals

He's here and i tucked him in for the night

Pretty happy

Full update in the morn 12:30 now gotta thank rccanada.ca a member less than a week and the dream is starting to take focus.....

JoeT

That's awesome I'll be leaning on you a lot then... looked up the tx not much luck yet...
Yes the learning gear is definitely on the list

mikekimc

That's going to be my next purchase... you know I'm gonna start the new guy

sim loaner program..... just for new guys `

Looking up Real Flight 7 after this... throw me a few more suggestions

everything is budget pending.

twistedge

spednut told me the same thing you n mike are telling me I'm going to find a 6ch smaller guy to learn on that muscle memory is huge...thanks for the heads up i'm looking forward to reading up on everything how it works why it works
speednut also suggested I replace the gyro good eye..
Thanks again
Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 AM   #10
RCcanuck
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John M
Radio of choice:
ix12,DX9
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 14

Dont listen to these guys...none of them even know how to fly without training gear on. Specially the mikekimc guy and twistedge guy! Just spool it up full throttle...and let her rip. You'll learn how to fly it from there. Make sure you video tape the maiden and post it on this thread!

SUBSCRIBED!

Tags
first heli , transmitter 6ch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in