Run a Ryobi backwards? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 07:50 PM   #21
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For the questions on these. I am not sure what make they are. I was given them with no cowling and I can't find a manufacture name on them. They are about 20cc with a single ring piston. Exhaust is rear, with a reed valve induction on the bottom. They both have walbro carbs and right hand rotation. Also the jugs are held on with 2 bolts and everything is 10/24 thread except the crank.(5/16nf) I am going to do both but eventually I am thinking of pulling an Andrew. Mount both jugs on a crankcase(homemade) with the reed valve and larger carb. Would look as a twin with opposing jugs.
As for the coil on it I have to do some serious looking at it. I think your thoughts on the field are correct. I am going to see if I can make a plate to turn the coil around and try it. Not much for mounting but will do something. They were running before I got them and want to do a little more. One thing about doing 2 is the made up parts are easy for the second one.
John

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:49 PM   #22
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

I took the flywheel off and removed the key then reinstalled about 20btdc for lh rotation. I mounted a prop and clamped it in my vice and spun it up with the starter. Lo and behold it fires so I squirted some fuel in and hit it and got about 2 barks. That is enough to me to confirm it will run. The only problem with both engines that I don't like is there is a lot of end play and also side play in the crank. Still looking at making a crankcase for them since I have to install new brgs. This is going to be a winter project so I will set on the back burner and go back to my KJ's.
and Clunk.
John
Old 04-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #23
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
Sounds good. Heading in the right direction. Was the muffler held on with springs? If so probably Ryobi. If I knew the bore and stroke I could probably find it in my old book.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:18 AM   #24
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Gord,
The muffler is held on with 2 springs. The bore is 1.198"and the stroke is .630. I measured it when it was apart and the stoke could be off a touch but it is close. As I mentioned before there is a lot of play and will take it apart and see if I can put brg.s in it. Don't want to spend to much time on them yet but I might use one for another project to try. If you have the info it would be appreciatted then I can get the right brg.s.
Thanks John
Old 04-12-2004, 09:20 PM   #25
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Brian came over tonight and I gave him one engine to try. I got them from him originally so he can see if it runs. He also told me they where weedeater engines so that might help.
John
Old 04-13-2004, 06:37 AM   #26
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
John,
Some of the weedeater engines are made to run reverse (clockwise) I have one if you want it. Just sitting in my parts engines box...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:27 AM   #27
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
John:
Don't have a listing for Ryobi. Poulan doesn't give bore and stroke, only displacement which is 26.2 , and only shows one. Book is getting a little out of date I think. Like me!. You might try that one Andrew was good enough to offer. then you have something to compare to. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:13 AM   #28
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba

Andrew,
Thanks again but I want to go back to my KJ's. I have left them to long and need to get at least one running. I think these could be a winter project as I was looking at them to make a twin horizontally opposed. The rods and pistons are good but the crank brgs. are the pits. They are needle but way to small. What do you make your cranks out of :When looking around I will see if I can find some material before I do anything. I already have some 6061 that I can make the case out of and I think it would look good with a carb on top andtwin exhaust on the bottom. Hell by next Fall I might have more and go for a quad.
John
Old 04-13-2004, 05:03 PM   #29
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
I used 4340 alloy steel, tough to machine but stong stuff
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in