Balsa USA Citabria Aerobatic Pro - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
homme de fer
RCC Contributor

I am: Marc A

Total Props: 0
Re: Balsa USA Citabria Aerobatic Pro

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
First, I want to thank you guys for the help. I am getting way more out of this discussion than I thought I would. That is what makes this site, and the people on it, special.

The comments on 21st Century fabric were interesting. I read in another forum that users of many fabric producers felt Worldtex and Solartex were the best in the business. Anyone have personal experience with the coloured Solartex fabric covering? Again, due to space constraints, I just can't get into painting my plane without getting served divorce papers from the wife (note to self, next house must have a garage).

I also started thinking last night (never a good idea) that perhaps a smoke system would be great for this as well. More research is needed.
homme de fer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #22
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propworn View Post
Spell Citabria backwards.
AIRBATIC ....just cause it has a name doesn't meen it is!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #23
HalfaStrut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Patrick Konkle

Hi

I just finnished covering a Sopwith &1/2 strutter in Olive drab,& cream WorldTex, I don't think I'll ever use anything else. It looks and feels like fabric. Its self adhesive, streaches easily and covers curves with absolutly no problems. Did I mention this is the first time I've used anything but tissue and dope. SkyCraft Burlington keeps it in stock

Pat
HalfaStrut is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #24
rcwings
RCC Apprentice

I am: Marko
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG
# of RCs: 20+

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
First, I want to thank you guys for the help. I am getting way more out of this discussion than I thought I would. That is what makes this site, and the people on it, special.

The comments on 21st Century fabric were interesting. I read in another forum that users of many fabric producers felt Worldtex and Solartex were the best in the business. Anyone have personal experience with the coloured Solartex fabric covering? Again, due to space constraints, I just can't get into painting my plane without getting served divorce papers from the wife (note to self, next house must have a garage).

I also started thinking last night (never a good idea) that perhaps a smoke system would be great for this as well. More research is needed.
Marc,

A buddy of mine has a Balsa USA Airbatic Pro that I flew a couple times a few years ago. I loved the look and feel of the plane and eventually purchased a kit. Looking at starting the build this fall, but am also unsure of what to power it with. He used an OS 120FS, and although flew nice, could have used a bit more. He since bolted in a Saito 180, but has not flown it yet....hopefully this summer I may get a chance to try it out some more. I was thinking gasser (26-28 ) , or Super Tiger G2300 on glow. Just wondering how you are coming along....decided yet?
rcwings is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #25
eajohnson
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Eric J
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR X9303
# of RCs: 40

I missed this thread when it first emerged. I built a BUSA Citabria Pro last winter and flew it last summer. Mine is electric (10S/Neu 1515-3D). The wood in this kit is heavy, and there is a lot of weight in the stock aluminum landing gears as well. I also had a bad experience with BUSA who wouldn't replace a cracked cowl in my kit because I'd bought it from one of their dealers online at about $10 less than MSRP. They were mad at their dealer for selling online and took it out on me. So I've got a rather heavy FG cowl on mine, the ABS would have done fine with electric power. My Citabria is covered in Koverite and latex paint, I would choose a lighter covering combination if doing it again. I was experimenting with latex rattle cans and they are complete junk, the paint doesn't flow right so you end up needing to apply more. I have no spray equipment and no place to spray anything toxic(only inside my home available) so it was either latex paint or precolored covering. AUW with a 4lb battery is 15lb, should be <14lb this year once I switch to CF gear, lighter wheels, and small 5000mAh batteries (vs 6300 10S3P bricks that are in there now).
eajohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
rcwings
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajohnson View Post
I missed this thread when it first emerged. I built a BUSA Citabria Pro last winter and flew it last summer. Mine is electric (10S/Neu 1515-3D). The wood in this kit is heavy, and there is a lot of weight in the stock aluminum landing gears as well. I also had a bad experience with BUSA who wouldn't replace a cracked cowl in my kit because I'd bought it from one of their dealers online at about $10 less than MSRP. They were mad at their dealer for selling online and took it out on me. So I've got a rather heavy FG cowl on mine, the ABS would have done fine with electric power. My Citabria is covered in Koverite and latex paint, I would choose a lighter covering combination if doing it again. I was experimenting with latex rattle cans and they are complete junk, the paint doesn't flow right so you end up needing to apply more. I have no spray equipment and no place to spray anything toxic(only inside my home available) so it was either latex paint or precolored covering. AUW with a 4lb battery is 15lb, should be <14lb this year once I switch to CF gear, lighter wheels, and small 5000mAh batteries (vs 6300 10S3P bricks that are in there now).
What did you think of the flight characteristics?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #27
eajohnson
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Eric J
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR X9303
# of RCs: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
What did you think of the flight characteristics?
It's a relative pussycat in the air, sort of like a trainer with aerobatic capabilities. It flies in a very convincing scale fashion. The roll rate is modest, but again it looks good from a scale behavior standpoint. It's definitely no 3D plane, you would fly this one like you'd fly the real thing. Even with the electric power setup (mainly prop noise heard), you could probably convince people on the ground that it was the full scale aircraft up there flying about.
eajohnson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 AM   #28
rcwings
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG

Quote:
It's a relative pussycat in the air, sort of like a trainer with aerobatic capabilities. It flies in a very convincing scale fashion. The roll rate is modest, but again it looks good from a scale behavior standpoint. It's definitely no 3D plane, you would fly this one like you'd fly the real thing. Even with the electric power setup (mainly prop noise heard), you could probably convince people on the ground that it was the full scale aircraft up there flying about.
Sorta what I was thinking and remember. Kinda flies like a Cub, but with a unique look about it. I only flew it a couple times and a few years back. Really only took it up to get it trimmed and ready for my buddy to fly and included a landing or two. Do not usually like getting too carried away with wringing out someone's pride and joy other than my own just in case.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
rcwings
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG

Quote:

What are your flight times like with the "E" setup you are using? Do you have excess power to spare? So far my exposure to electric has been on the "smaller" scale/3D birds on up to 2100 mah packs that I can fly in my back yard. Often thought of converting some of my larger kits not yet built to electric but the cost is still a little steep for me. This one would likely be way out there.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #30
rcwings
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by homme de fer View Post
Thanks Wayne,

I found some great threads on rcuniverse where some of the builders opined that moving the firewall back 1" did the trick for the gas engine.

Marc
Can you please share the links to those threads as I too am in the process of researching/planning for the next build.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in