Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 12:08 AM   #1
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Moe N.

Total Props: 0
Electric Honker

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
My old RCM plans built Honker now with electric power

7.2 volt Speed 400
6X4 APC Nitro prop
1500 mah Kokam 3 Cell
Kokam ESC,
Hitec HS55's & 555 receiver

Flys great in the gusty winds we get here and has more duration than it did with the old Cox .049. It ain't elegant but it sure is fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0113-s.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1700   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0112-s.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1701  

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:21 PM   #2
oilman

I like it.

Really thats a nitro prop. the one in the pics looks like electric prop.

Have you tried it on electric props. The reason I ask is I would have thought the nitro prop was designed for a whole different rpm range. But if it works for you maybe I'll give it a try.

oily.
oilman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

Hmm, now you got me thinking, I did originaly order that prop for my Thunder Tiger .07 (installed on a Herr Cub) and it was shipped loose so I just assumed that it was a Nitro prop but it does look kinda thin at the tips compared to the old prop on the .07, wonder if someone sent me an Electric Prop instead. Well in any case both the .07 and the 400 spin their props in the 14500 RPM range the physical differences not withstanding. I'll definately not put that prop on the .07 untill I get one packaged from APC that's labeled for Nitro, (do they do that or is it that they only label em special if it an Electric prop???) don't want any chances with fast flying sharp plastic bits. That's also got me thinking that maybe electrifying the Cub is something to do....

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?

Old 03-25-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
oilman

Reminds me of that old song.

Things that make you go HHHMmmm.

Well the RPM range is the same. But still you don't need a chunk o prop in the head.

Oily.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #5
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

Nitro Version

Here's a pic of myNorvel 61 throttled version of the Honker, there's actually four Honkers in my hanger. The pic was from our field, grass aint growing yet but snow is gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nitro_honker.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1839  

Old 03-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #6
oilman

I wish I had that much open space to fly in.

Old 04-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

SPACE?

Well that's interesting you say that Oily because the strip seems cramped to us, its got significantly tall Spruce & Pine (they can seem to be 1000 feet tall when things go wrong) all around it which along with the fast growing Alder at both ends of the strip makes the 200 x 80 feet of space we have in the middle of it all seem tight at times. The Terrace Model Airplane Club was granted access to this site by Skeena Cellulose, its actually their old sod dump. it has two great features for us its FLAT and far enough away from the nearest neighbor we can run Noisy Nitro of any size with any type of pipe for those who are into it. We're pretty lucky to have this site as there is very little clear space around here since the logging industry collapsed. The tree huggers seem to not realize how fast the bush moves in to obliterate what would otherwise be potentially good access roads and flying sites. This soggy moderate coastal climate really promotes very fast growth as I'm sure you have down south in your area as well.

Sorry about the politics but when your living in what's probably the most ececonomically depressed town in all of Canada it sort of always in the back of your thoughts even if you're like me and have a job.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in