FPV pilot crashes plane into warehouse in Surrey, BC - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-15-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
rcgeorge
RCC Contributor

I am: robert d
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 2
FPV pilot crashes plane into warehouse in Surrey, BC

Just caught Global news in Vancouver tonite. Headline was Model Airplane crashes into commercial building and catches building on fire. After watching the brief item, turns out that the fire didn't start until a few hours after the plane crashed onto the roof of the business - apparently its not an uncommon occurrence - but eventually batteries caught on fire. Not a huge deal....other than the guy was flying FPV. Said he was getting dizzy, lifted up his goggles for a second, and when he put them back on, all he saw was the gravel from the building's roof.

Hard enough to find flying fields for our sport, yet you keep getting clowns flying their quadcopters on runway approaches, and FPV'ers flying over built up areas.

Everybody better get their heads out of the collective sand....legislation is coming!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:45 AM   #2
Mike Anderson
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Mike Anderson
Radio of choice:
JETI DS-24
# of RCs: >20

Total Props: 1
Re: FPV pilot crashes plane into warehouse in Surrey, BC

For the non-URLphobes: http://globalnews.ca/news/1451087/mo...cial-building/
Mike Anderson is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #3
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 1,395

.....and now the line get's blurry.

"Model Airplane" does this......."Model Airplane" does that....... the media does not care about the differences between FPV and the rest.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

Wonder why he didn't get his spotter to take over the plane while he got his bearings?

Probably because he didn't have one! So will Paul Freeman be the straw that broke the camels back???

Even if he is a MAAC member, will the organizations insurance pay out on this one?

Last edited by Eye Can Fly; 07-15-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
notarectum

Total Props: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
Wonder why he didn't get his spotter to take over the plane while he got his bearings?

Probably because he didn't have one! So will Paul Freeman be the straw that broke the camels back???
Even if he is a MAAC member, will the organizations insurance pay out on this one?
Well Brent I imagine your not the only one thinking someone will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	morans.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	366929  
itizme is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by itizme View Post
Well Brent I imagine your not the only one thinking someone will.
I sure hope MAAC isn't dragged into this and asked to pay anything, that means our rates go up and things get complicated because IDIOTS don't use their G-DAMN BRAINS!!!

Common guys where is the common sense here with this stuff.
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
I sure hope MAAC isn't dragged into this and asked to pay anything, that means our rates go up and things get complicated because IDIOTS don't use their G-DAMN BRAINS!!!

Common guys where is the common sense here with this stuff.
Why would MAAC get "dragged" into it?
Was he flying at a sanctioned field? I don't know. Do you?
Was he flying at a non sanctioned field but following MAAC coverage requirements for non-sanctioned fields? I don't know. Do you?
Was he flying per MAAC FPV guidelines? I don't know. Do you?

Why the knee-jerk reaction to nail everyone to the cross? Why the anger?
I'm not trying to be rude here. I am just asking questions to make people think. Its important to know the facts before the accusations are made.

If he is not following the guidelines, he is not covered. If he is flying rogue and has no MAAC, then this is a non-issue for MAAC. So why the gloom-and-doom?

As far as MAAC rates, how would it be any different if it was an LOS flier that lost control of his plane and plowed into some other factory? or house?
At our old field we had several buildings erected adjacent to our flying field. We also had a major highway running about 1km to the east of us. Even though that over-fly area near the buildings was designated a "no-fly-zone", there was always still the possibility that an LOS piloted plane could potentially fly away and crash into the buildings or even go as far as the highway and hit a car that was doing 100kmh. Then what? Would you be less inclined to make the "I hope rates don't go up" statement?

PS- what happened to our rates 6(?) years ago when some ducted fan jock lost control of his plane at an airshow and plowed into a full scale Harvard? Fixing that plane's damage amounted to $80K (I think). Sheet does happen. That is WHY we have MAAC.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #8
Thunder Chicken
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Nathan C
Radio of choice:
Airtronics

Total Props: 18

well it didn't have 4 props so it wasn't a drone........
Stupid media, uneducated pilot.......

I dno't know what the answer to this type of rc pilot/flying is, but I wonder if MAAC could try to get in the public spotlight a bit better.....to make people aware that the organization exists, with safety guidelines to follow? Could/should hobby shops be advocating for MAAC/AMA a bit better, instead of selling stuff to anybody off the street? Hard to control with mail order from China I guess, but a part of these 'drone' and 'FPV' problems could be from a lack of knowledge about groups like MAAC or local clubs. Just a thought.....
Thunder Chicken is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126

The insurance company for the warehouse has the right to go after this guy for the loss. This should get interesting.... I feel for the guy but I sure hope that MAAC is not on the hook for the mess.

It is unfortunate that this guy may end up with a huge judgment against him but maybe this will be a wake up call for those guys who think that clubs, rules and insurance are for suckers.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Chicken View Post
Could/should hobby shops be advocating for MAAC/AMA a bit better, instead of selling stuff to anybody off the street?
We make people aware of MAAC when they purchase planes, helicopters etc. We even have the applications in our stores and offer one to them. However we can not make them fill it out. Most people that come into any LHS want to be able to fly as they want and do not want to join a local club, just a fact unfortunately. For every plane or heli we sell only about 5-10% will ever consider joining a club.
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
airplanes , discussion , fpv , legislation , quadcopter , fixed wing , helicopter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in