Not liking small electrics at fun flys - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:37 PM   #1
RCFlyingKnight
RCC Apprentice

I am: Matthew Smerdon
Radio of choice:
Aroura 9
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 0
Not liking small electrics at fun flys

I went to a funfly over the weekend, was spotting for someone and had a hard time doing it beacuse it was to difficult to relocate the other planes in the air The other planes were both very slow moving electrics one at opposite ends of the runway flying around and every time I went to check thier position in took a lot longer than it should have to find them. I don't know about anyone else but I use sound to help keep track of other aircraft but these things made no noise that I could hear to know thier general position and given thier size I had to search horizon to horizon and up to the clouds (yes they were taking them that high) to find the damnable things. As a spotter it is my job to know where other aircraft are, I found it very difficult to do this effectively. I didn't even bother with my usual fly by to check runway alignment before landing the plane(was the pilots first time at that field he wasn't confortable landing himself)

I have nothing against them but to have them fly at the same time as the 40+ size planes should not happen as they fly right over the runway creating a hazard since the area over the runway should be kept clear for landings and take offs only. Also, if someome needed to make an emergency landing where will these things go? Over the pit area? or maybe over the spectators? As it seems there is some invisable barrier preventing them from going past the runway. Not to mention can they get out of the way fast enough?

This may be ranting but I thought it enough of an annoyance mention.

BTW I didn't much enjoying watching these small electrics either. If they become the majority at the flying fields I will be attending very few funflys in the future.

RCFlyingKnight
RCFlyingKnight is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84
HAving spotted for Glider pilots in competitions - where the spotter needs to find and assess other planes during the flight - I woudl typically find teh plot and use where he was looking as an indicator if where the plane was ... and gliders are usually quieter than electrics (but not always)
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:43 AM   #3
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Keith,

Yes glideres are quieter but ususally about 3 - 4 time the span of these small electrics. Makes the gliders easier to find.

JMHO.. nothing against small electrics just pointing out facts.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84
but the small electrics fly much closer in than the gliders I'm talking about. With 3M spans, world level pilots are known to range probaly close to 1km away or more ...
The point I was trying to make is that the pilot's head and the direction they are looking is a good indicator of where the plane should be.
also, if you have 5 pilots with radios you should see 5 planes ...
At the F3J worlds in finland we regularly had to track 14 planes at the same time ... in all parts of the sky!
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:06 AM   #5
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

CAN"T BEAT'EM, JOIN'EM
Old 08-15-2005, 06:10 AM   #6
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Now wouldn't it be ironic if the lack of noise forced small electrics out of the club field and back into the communities just like the noise of the nitro aircraft forced them out of the communities?

Small electrics are enlarging the new pilot base for our hobby - exclusion is not the answer.

There are those who don't think helis should be at club fields either (fields should be reserved for fixed wing nitro/gas aircraft because they need them - or something along those lines). I still can't understand that one.

Why not be constructive and try to think of creative solutions that will permit everyone to enjoy the funfly? It would be easy to block off areas or designate time blocks for aircraft of certain sizes. Perhaps the least windy times could be used for park flyers since they are less tolerant of wind.

There are other solutions as well.

In the end, if you don't like electrics to the point of exclusion, then you may soon find yourself without a place to fly as electric is already a dominant part of the R/C aircraft market and that segment is expanding rapidly. Nitro-only fields may find themselves without the pilot base to sustain them. Better to work cooperatively and embrace the changes in the hobby.

JMHO.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
JohnnyHotRocks
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: John U

If you can't see them and they won't get out of the way...Just FLY THROUGH them!! I'm sure your plane won't be damaged!
JohnnyHotRocks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
mustang man-rcu
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Steve B.
Radio of choice:
JR, PCM-10, JR, XP-8103

If you think a 40 size aircraft wont be harmed by hitting an electric, you best think again. Martinic's suggestion makes a lot more sense to me. We have a large number of electrics at our field and it has never been a problem. Common sense would dictate that if the plane is that small just do as suggested and follow the pilots line of sight, you'll find his plane. As for emergency landings, the onus is on electric pilots the same as it is on glow or gas powered pilots to get clear of the runway. There are times when 40 size planes are not fast enough to get out of the way as well. Perhaps you are relying too much on sound to act as an indicator of where other aircraft are and need to be more proactive in your approach to spotting for other pilots.

Steve

To see my gallery on RC Universe click the link below
http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ry&memid=52877
mustang man-rcu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #9
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Having flown at a site where a large industrial building was nearby, I can tell you that sound is not a good indicator of location. Reflected sound from that building was so confusing I found myself doubting my eyes as to the location, and especially distance my heli was from me.

I've been through these types of discussions before, mixing aircraft types is always a challenge but, often perceived as more of a challenge than reality. I've been involved with clubs that mixed sailplanes with powered, and most recently helis with fixed wing on the same flightline. Some common sense and a little planning go a long way toward harmony.

Further, the electrics are getting bigger, I've been flying a 30 size, have a 40 size in the works and plans for a 1/4 scale.....
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
matteo
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: matt s

I fly quite a bit of smaller foamies and I have never had any problems, the reason is because at some fields such as bramilea, there is a heli fly zone and when no helis are flying then it is a perfect park flying area. Its off to the side were its not in the way.

At the 400 fly in there was a tagged off area for foamies and that was great, but kinda after hours a bunch of people just pulled out foamies and flew them when there were no large planes up.

At another fun fly I went to I flew when nobody was up and when somebody wanted to go up he gave me a few extra minuts to fly, and I landed to stay out of his way.
matteo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in