35% Aerotech Yak 54 Build Thread - COMPLETED - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62
35% Aerotech Yak 54 Build Thread - SUCCESSFUL MAIDEN !!!

My winter project has been started today - I have never built a 35% before, so decided to take on this little project so that I'm ready for it's maiden in early Spring 2008.

Below is a link to the Aerotech website for all the specs on this great looking plane... I haven't decided the colour scheme yet, but I'll focus on the build first.
http://www.aerotech-rcmodels.com/Pro...k54/yak54.html

I have a DA100 with KS cans for this plane, but will also work at lightening up this build wherever possible (particularily in the tail) and may consider a DA85 or a 3W85xi on a single can, since they engines have incredible power (debatably more than a DA100!!!)

I bought this kit on RCC - there are a few parts missing, but the seller is working at getting replacements for me. My initial thoughts of the kit are:
* all the balsa sheeting has been squared by Aerotech - should be easy to sheet the cores!!
* the instructions are terrible, but the drawings are awesome
* except for the missing pieces, everything was damage free!

Here are a few pictures of the kit... huge cowl, lots of lumber and a ton of cores (wing cores not shown)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_kit_contents_862.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	27418   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_foam_cores_110.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	27419  

Last edited by TBrum; 04-16-2008 at 04:17 AM.
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

In deciding where to start first, I thought I'd get all the balsa sheeting completed on all cores first off, including the wings for the following reasons:

1) Looking ahead in the construction, about 1/2 way through construction of the fuse, the wing sockets need to be completed, which requires finished wings to execute.

2) I wanted to experiment with a few options of sheeting the cores - in fears of messing up the wing cores, I wanted to start sheeting a less critical core.

This plane has the following cores (9 in total):
* Main wings (2 huge cores)
* Elevator / stab (1 core)
* Rudder (1 cores)
* Turtledeck
* Fuse top-front section - right behind the cowl
* Fuse bottom - landing gear area - completes the round fuse shape in the bottom
* Fuse bottom - mid section
* Fuse bottom - tail section
Old 10-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Step #1 - Sheeting the fuse bottom core (mid section)

The most common method of core sheeting I've heard of so far is to:
1) tape all balsa sheets together (in this case 1/16" sheeting)
2) flip the taped sheeting over and open up the joint (tape acts as a hinge) and apply glue (CA, Elmer's wood glue, etc).
3) allow to dry - light sand
4) apply Elmer's ProBond PolyEurathane glue (now called Ultimate glue at Home Depot), spread out very, very thin with a spreader.
5) dampen core with damp cloth
6) mate the damp core to balsa sheeting that has a thin layer of ProBond
7) place the core/sheeting back into the countermold and put lots of weight on the panel (Ie: 100+ lbs) to ensure the sheeting is tight against the core (this glue expands as it cures, so lots of weight is required)

As per the picture, I glued the sheeting together with Super Phatic glue from Ontario Adhesives - this is like Elmer's wood glue, only it dries in about 15 minutes - an awesome product!!.

I then followed the above steps using ProBond, ensuring that I kept the ProBond very, very thin to prevent as much expansion as possible.

After about 8 hours, I took all the weight off and voila... 1 completed core!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3_sheeting_the_underside_of_fuse_with_probond_156.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	27420   Click image for larger version

Name:	4_super_phatic_and_probond_for_first_core_106.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	27421  
Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 PM   #4
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Step #2 - A different approach to sheeting (IMO - an awesome, much faster, equally strong method)!!

On my next core, I glued the sheeting together with thick CA (it's a bit faster than Super Phatic glue, equally stong, but doesn't sand as well)

I them tried something new... Ontario Adhesives sells a product called AeroBond (about $10.64/150ml bottle - I will need 2-3 bottles for all the sheeting on this plane) - I was so impressed with it, that I posted a separate thread on this product on RCC... see the link!

https://www.rccanada.ca/bb/viewtopic.php?t=37402

Now this is the way to sheet cores - very fast to do, no mess, no expansion and equal strength!! Aerobond is a contact cement, so you just brush on the adhesive to both sides, let dry for 15 minutes and press together!!.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5_ca_and_aerobond_for_next_cores_163.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	27422   Click image for larger version

Name:	6_aerobond_on_both_sides_of_surfaces_485.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	27423  
Old 10-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Thanks to Aerobond and Ontario Adhesives, I got all the Fuselage Cores sheeted within about 2 hours!!!

As per the picture, from left to right....

* Upper Turtledeck - 1/16" sheeting (Aerobond and SuperPhatic from Ontario Adhesives)
* Lower Fuse - mid section - 1/16" sheeting (SuperPhatic and ProBond PolyEurathane glue)
* Lower Fuse - tail section - 1/16" sheeting (Aerobond and SuperPhatic from Ontario Adhesives)
* Lower Fuse - landing gear area - 1/16" sheeting (Aerobond and thick CA)
* Upper Fuse - front - 3/32" sheeting (Aerobond and SuperPhatic from Ontario Adhesives)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7_all_fuse_cores_are_sheeted_965.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	27424  
Old 10-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Onto the main wing... I'm going go as far as sheeting the left wing and then repeat the process again for the right!

The wing cores come with a hole hotwired out for the wing tube. There is also a removeable foam block at the end of the hole for a 1/4" thick plywood tube support plate

The first picture shows the wing tube in the core....

In the second picture, I took my dremel and routed out a ring, 1/8" deep in the support plate so that the wing tube interlocks for more strength.

In the 3rd picture, the support plate is test fitted in place along with the wing tube. I have also cut out 3 holes in the core along the wing tube hole... this is where I will inject the ProBond into as I permanently slide in the wing tube (you push in and rotate the tube as you pour in ProBond so that the whole tube get's coated well for a secure bond!!)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8_right_wing_core_and_tube_458.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	27425   Click image for larger version

Name:	9_wind_tube_support_block_countersink_964.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	27426   Click image for larger version

Name:	10_prep_of_wing_tube_area_100.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	27427  
Old 10-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Next step was to contour the support block to the shape of the wing so that the sheeting will bond well to this area (don't worry.. I didn't take the first picture while the band saw was running!!)

The second picture shows the wing tube area ready for probond!!! I trimmed the foam block behind the tube support plate with my wife's electric bread knife (that's reminds me - I've got to put it back in the cupboard quickly!!) The foam block needs to be put in this void so as to prevent the expanding ProBond from separating the tube and support plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11_contouring_wing_tube_support_block_147.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	27428   Click image for larger version

Name:	12_wing_tube_and_support_block_ready_for_probond_977.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	27429  
Old 10-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Next, I flipped the wing over and marked out the aileron cut line and where the servo bays would go and where the servo lead tunnel would need to go... all of this was as per the drawing. The kit comes with the laser cut balsa servo bay sides and basswood servo mount plates.

Picture #2 shows a little wire cutter I rigged up with my sodder gun (it's just 1/16" copper rod that is bent to shape). I taped a metal ruler to the foam core as a guide for my sodder gun hot wire... it worked flawlessly!!

Not Shown - as my last step of the day, I glued in the servo bays and wing tube and tube support using probond... it's back in the countermold right now curing... tomorrow I'll see how it turned out and will snap some pictures.

If all goes well, a light sanding of the core and I can get this wing sheeted tomorrow using AeroBond!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13_underside_of_wing_-_servo_bays_145.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	27430   Click image for larger version

Name:	14_servo_lead_tunnel_153.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	27431  
Old 10-14-2007, 04:53 AM   #9
bigguy
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ralph B

Total Props: 3
Very nice.Keep the pics coming. I am very interested in this thread.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
always flying
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Manny H
Radio of choice:
Futaba 2.4
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 10
I've just subscribed!..

keep the pics comming! these build threads as detailed as this one or alot of work! "GOOD ON YOU TBRUM" You will soon have yourself a finnished product that will be your new pride & joy!..Who said hard work never pays off!!

mannyh
always flying is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in