RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #41
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis DWP

Total Props: 12
Re: USA Funds

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I go by the price out the door. First off I fill up the F 250 on the US side the savings in gas pays the tunnel fare and then some so for me its a direct comparison. Most of the times I don't get charged the taxes at the border but I always factor in 14% and its a bonus if I don't. I still save a ton of money buying in the US no mater how you slice it. The plus side is they usually have it in stock and there is a lot more variety. If they have to order its usually only a few days not the forever we seem to get here.

Take something as simple as fuel. Propshop has Traxis, Auquacraft, Trinity, Coolpower, Powermaster, Cox, Wildcat in all ratios in stock.

Dennis
Lazy Ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:31 PM   #42
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

I also will not deal with Canadians that demand US dollars. That is to me an insult plain and simple! As Ron says our dollar is no more volatile than anyone else's. Anyone not wanting to deal with Canadians in Canada in Canadian currency can pack thier bags and move to the US as far as I'm concerned!
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #43
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
I also will not deal with Canadians that demand US dollars. That is to me an insult plain and simple! As Ron says our dollar is no more volatile than anyone else's. Anyone not wanting to deal with Canadians in Canada in Canadian currency can pack thier bags and move to the US as far as I'm concerned!
Have no problem dealing with shops that list their stuff in US currency. Price is the same from day to day and you pay the price plus the exchange on that particular day. Its converted to Canadian funds on a Canadian Credit Card no problem. Many times this method works out cheaper in your favor than the local guy manipulating prices chasing the currency exchange. You have the option of taking your business elsewhere and I don’t think you will be missed.

Dennis

Old 12-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #44
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Ace View Post
Have no problem dealing with shops that list their stuff in US currency. Price is the same from day to day and you pay the price plus the exchange on that particular day. Its converted to Canadian funds on a Canadian Credit Card no problem. Many times this method works out cheaper in your favor than the local guy manipulating prices chasing the currency exchange. You have the option of taking your business elsewhere and I don’t think you will be missed.

Dennis
I agree 100%. I have yet to hear a rational argument against USD pricing. Those against it, seem to be doing so on a purely emotional basis.

Good luck trying to have a rational discussion involving emotion.

Mike
Old 12-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #45
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

No they won't miss me, nor will I miss them, there are lots of other options as to where I spend my hobby money.

Now picture going into the grocery store for a few veggies and a jug of milk, the cashier asks for US money because that's where the stuff you are buying came from. What about gas stations, why aren't they demanding US dollars, crude oil is bought and sold in US dollars?

Next you go to a clothing store and pick up a few things there, the cashier wants to be paid in Indian currency because the clothing factories are there.

Then you go to the Dollar Store for some small purchase and the cashier wants Chinese money as that is where their stock comes from.

Why aren't Hondas and Toyotas sold in Japanese Yen?

Yup! Making more sense all the time!

Not!

Ok maybe it's all because the US dollar happens to be high at the moment. Opportunism.

Dealing in US funds is fine for you borderline Canadians that are always dodging back and forth to find the best deal, It's just plain inconvenient for the rest of us.

What happens now if next year/month the Euro or the Yen is the market darling? Do we all get on that bandwagon?

Now don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see one world wide currency but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:16 PM   #46
tommy
RCC Contributor

I am: tommy c
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: 29+

Total Props: 5

It's all part of a diminishing democracy in my opinion!
tommy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2015, 03:45 PM   #47
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2flyrc View Post
I agree 100%. I have yet to hear a rational argument against USD pricing. Those against it, seem to be doing so on a purely emotional basis.

Good luck trying to have a rational discussion involving emotion.

Mike
I have worked in the tooling industry all my life and everything including tooling brought in from Asia or Europe is always priced in US currency. A few of the smaller suppliers in Canada tried Canadian funds and even had catalogues printed up in Canadian funds. That was a disaster the catalogue was for a year and exchange rates fluctuated so badly it was an embarrassment to tell the customer that the actual price was quite a bit more than listed in the catalogue even though there was a disclaimer stating prices would change according to the exchange rate with the US dollar. It was easier just to price things in US funds and convert the day of the sale. Even then prices from the supplier might change throughout the year.

The few that crabbed over this way of pricing things were not worth the effort and often times when they would get rude about it were told not to bother coming back. These were all nickel and dime over the counter retail sales. A tap, drill, die something small where you would end up trying to figure out what he was after and a half hour later the guy whines the cost is not the same as in the catalogue printed 8 months ago. For a whole few dollars profit no one has the time to listen to the bitching. Please do me a favor and darken my competitor’s door next time.

A couple of the RC suppliers I deal with have had the same items listed at the same price US for over 2 years. Nice to know the price has not gone up or he’s not using the exchange rate to boost his profit margin. The exchange rate is what it is. Its not the retailers fault that our money fluctuates so badly against the US dollar which is the currency he must purchase in.

The retailers Redneck mentions just convert the exchange rate at very generous (in their favour) rate, tack it on and charge you the difference in Canadian. The prices always rise in the retailers favour but I've never seen a retailer offer you money back because the exchange rate went down. Simple math escapes some I guess.

Dennis
Old 12-26-2015, 03:59 PM   #48
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post

Now picture going into the grocery store for a few veggies and a jug of milk, the cashier asks for US money because that's where the stuff you are buying came from. What about gas stations, why aren't they demanding US dollars, crude oil is bought and sold in US dollars?

Next you go to a clothing store and pick up a few things there, the cashier wants to be paid in Indian currency because the clothing factories are there.

Then you go to the Dollar Store for some small purchase and the cashier wants Chinese money as that is where their stock comes from.

Why aren't Hondas and Toyotas sold in Japanese Yen?

Yup! Making more sense all the time!

Not!

Dealing in US funds is fine for you borderline Canadians that are always dodging back and forth to find the best deal, It's just plain inconvenient for the rest of us.

What happens now if next year/month the Euro or the Yen is the market darling? Do we all get on that bandwagon?

Now don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see one world wide currency but it hasn't happened yet.
You are depicting scenario's of a hands on buying transaction and yes, buying in a foreign currency would be an obvious inconvenience.

We are discussing online ordering where the CC company handles the foreign currency exchange and converts it to CAD for you. Where's the inconvenience? What's it matter where the vendor is located?

The companies that we are discussing probably do a relatively low volume of sales in Canada. Requiring them to operate in two currencies would necessitate a website with multiple pricing, duplicate USA and CAD bank accounts, duplicate US and CAD CC service provider accounts, duplicate bank accounts, Paypal accounts etc. That's a ridiculous amount of duplication and expense to sell a few items in Canada. Why can't you see and accept that?

These aren't big companies that we're talking about, most are one man shows operating a secondary business to help out fellow modellers, cut them some slack, order your stuff in USD, and pay for it in the nice CAD that the CC company bills you in. Where's the issue?

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 12-26-2015 at 04:30 PM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #49
Lazy Ace
RCC Expert Contributor

It doesn't mater where I buy it’s usually on the CC or Debit and I end up paying in Canadian funds even if I am physically purchasing at a US hobby shop. It makes no difference to me if the exchange is applied before or after the fact. I just filled up with gas 38 bucks US on Debit when I open my online banking the exchange rate will be applied and the debit from my account will be in Canadian. The difference is?????????????????????????????????

Dennis
Old 12-26-2015, 07:03 PM   #50
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

...there's an Ontario based R/C airplane "manufacturer"?

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in