RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
mtnflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
The Forest

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What do you do, when you live in a forest? Where do you fly? If there is no MAAC field, where do you go?

This post is not only about raising the questions, it is also about offering some answers.

Some of the answers that I can answer are simple, because I live in a less populated area.

1. The Gravel Pit.: This does not mean a gravel pit has to be a hole in the ground. Those who remove gravel are careful to leave a very large area of level ground that equipment can operate in. If equipment can operate in such an area, then there is enough room for us to fly. Gravel pit roads afford a stable and usually level surface, void of trees.

2. The Country Road.: These are level, gravel surfaces, usually adjacent to someones cow pasture or crop field. An excellent place to take off and land. However, while in the air your probably going to be flying above private property. The cows won't mind, but, let the farmer know. They have guns.

3. The Local Pond: Float flying is nice and peaceful, with more areas available than land flying (at least here). Just a little different equipment required and the need to tune your technique. Fear of it does most people in.

4. The Park: Not a bad spot to pick, but, not the wisest. Usually filled with children that come with a momma and papa and lots of annoyance. Also, you risk being arrested because people will never understand you.

5. The Schoolyard: Usually not big enough for anything other than small electrics. Also, refer to #4.

Other than driving a long time, these are all of the selections I can think of that are available to me. This is because I live in a forest area, in a small town, with no MAAC club or field handy.

So, back to the original questions. What do you people do, when faced with a forest?

I've spent most of my money and time on model airplanes, mean women, and beer. All the rest was just a waste.

MAAC 51187
mtnflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16
Re: The Forest

Honestly, I think I would move!
If the money keeps you there then it should be enough to buy a chunk of said forest and rectify the situation

Last edited by Hughes500E; 02-09-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:23 AM   #3
Blanik

I also live in the forest and have found two places to fly.
The highway,it always has a fantastic maintained runway but it is is important to keep 3 min of battery/nitro time at the ready to loiter in the circuit untill there is a break in traffic to land {I fly here during summer}
The giant frozen lake{winter flying} , I keep my runway maintained by loading up the toboggan with sandbags and packing a nice surface. N105 W55
Blanik is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #4
etotheo
!!! CONFIRM YOUR ACCOUNT !!!

I am: Evan O.

It was just a few days ago that my park flyer foamie ended up in a tree... it's probably been 15+ years since I've had to climb one! The ESC quit on me at a bad time.

Northern Ontario has a few trees around but there places I can find that are good for the electric plane. I don't think that I would try the glow anywhere near town though. I'd be looking into a float plane if my back was really against the wall.
etotheo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I would agree with a pond/lake.

Not only is float flying a blast, but it gives you a clear area to fly over.

The only bad thing is if you crash a lot

Other than that, maybe stick to helicopters?
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
copilot
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Al O

I also live in the forest. Fly off my lawn,( I have about 2 acres to fly off. But ### happens, put it down in the trees. Before I found it 2 months later a bear had chewed it up beyound repair. But I woulden't move to town anyway. Just have to take my chances. Al
copilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1 (Eric K)
Radio of choice:
CPDLC & Mind Control
# of RCs: 777

Total Props: 203

Simple
Just fly indoors! Micro helicopters are a blast. I've flown all last winter indoors with my Walkera 4#3 and 4G3 heli's. Plenty of challenges and rewards for little money. No field required.
Enjoy
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Flyboy76
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Geoff B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX12
# of RCs: 27

Total Props: 4

country road.. is what i learned on. And i flew over my own field and my neighbors field. Every time i'd fire my trainer up, within 10 minutes he'd be coming down the road on his quad to watch and visit. If i was in the forest, i'd float fly first and get into heli's more to.....

geoff
Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 AM   #9
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Smile Re: The Forest

I would switch over to rocketry!!! What goes straight up must come down in a forest.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Bent
RCC Contributor

You could build one of these beside your house with a carrier deck or catch net on top.
http://www.water-towers.com/Wtrs4StoryOpenLot2.html
I learned to stay away from the tree line when flying on the edge of a forest. My floatplane disappeared behind the trees once and I was lucky to get it back. I had given up on it but then I could hear the OS46 engine getting louder and it reappeared....thank you Jesus!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in