warplane heritage museum - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 07-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Swifty
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Greg B

Total Props: 6
Re: warplane heritage museum

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I saw a documentry on the Lancaster at the Heritage museum, the pilot was saying that it was a good thing the plane was restored to flying condition some years ago. If they were to attempt it today it wouldn't be done due to the cost involved.

I talked to one of the volunteers at the Museum in Nanton where they are getting the merlin engines on their Lancaster in running condition, he said it costs about $50,000 for each one. Two of the four engines have been done. Not sure what it would cost to get a Lancaster airworthy now, lots I guess.
Swifty is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
canadianf1pilot
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Bill Brisson
Radio of choice:
JR and Spectrum
# of RCs: 40+

The lanks that are still flying are so rare because they were built fast, and fairly crude, and designed to last for 30 odd missions, not 6 decades!
the part that always gets me is there are only a handfull of pilots alive who are checked out to fly the lank, but during the war, 22-23 year old kids who just got thier wings were sent up in these things, loaded full of bombs....at NIGHT!

Bill
canadianf1pilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Swifty
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Greg B

I guy I know from Manitoba said his father flew a Lancaster during the war. When the war was over he never flew again, his son said all he wanted to do was be a farmer. Must have been a traumatic experience to never fly again.
Swifty is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

CWH is a fantastic Canadian Treasure!.

I hope to see these gems flying for many more years, but one wonders how long they can continue to fly before they finally decide its too old to take the risk?

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19

Last time I went there was about 5 years ago when me and my bro paid about $15 to get in. Just seen an ad on CBC where it is $139 per family...is it raised up that much now?
It is a spectacular place and on the bucket list for aviators.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
McFlyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: William M.

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianf1pilot View Post
The lanks that are still flying are so rare because they were built fast, and fairly crude, and designed to last for 30 odd missions, not 6 decades!
the part that always gets me is there are only a handfull of pilots alive who are checked out to fly the lank, but during the war, 22-23 year old kids who just got thier wings were sent up in these things, loaded full of bombs....at NIGHT!

Bill
There is a must read novel called " Boys, Bombs and Brussel sprouts ". This novel was written by a Canadian pilot of lancasters in WW2. Absolutely incredible story. One thing that stands out is when he talked about getting coned by the enemy search lights. He said that when one search light picked you up you had a chance to jinx your aircraft around to try and lose it. But if other search lights got you and coned you, you were pretty well toast. The enemy would send up the Flak.

Very, very good reading. Exellent author. Gives you an idea what it must have been like being a 20 - some year old flying lancs at night.

McFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in