Are there any mechanic!!!! on this site - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
firehawk
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: peter r
Radio of choice:
dx7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Are there any mechanic!!!! on this site

I posted on here about my 80cc gas motor i have over 46 look at my ad but no one has given me a hint of what to do.So i figer no one has had this happen to them may be you can give me you flying fild site and some one there can help me so let me no ty. This is my old add Here is what my motor is doing. When the motor is together it is so tight you can just turn it over if you losen the two half of the motor it is lose. but tighten it up and it is almost seize again, l need help please on how to fix the problem thanks Pete
firehawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: Are there any mechanic!!!! on this site

When you rebuilt your MT80 what did you replace? If you put in a new ring the engine should be tight as the ring has to wear a bit to fit the cylinder. You basicly will need to rebreak the engine in. You should also check tobe sure the ring in on correctly as well. Right side up and also correct position in regards to the pin in the groove.Also groove might have gunk in it and its not letting the ring seat properly.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Bill 6069
RCC Contributor

I am: Bill M

Can you post pictures of the engine and the two halves that you are tightening when the motor "seizes"

It sounds like you have a split crankcase and are binding the crankshaft bearings when you clamp the halves together. There may be several reasons for this.

You should check that the bearings are properly located on the crankshaft and sit nicely in the top have of the crankcase before installing the bottom have. You should also make sure the crankshaft is not bent. Was the motor crashed? How did you remove and install the bearings?

Bill
Bill 6069 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

Sounds like something is twisted or interfering. Maybe some machined surfaces are not flat. I am not familiar with that motor to be more specific. You got three ? answers? now. If the piston/cyl is out and it still binds, you will be able to narrow things down to a specific part that is binding.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Bill 6069
RCC Contributor

I am: Bill M

I looked at your original post and say that this is a MT80. This is a two piece crankcase split front to back. When you talk about the two halves are you referring to the two crankcase halves or the crankcase and cylinder?.
Bill 6069 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
tallone66
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Derrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3

Peter, give some history on the engine. Was this a rebuild to freshen up or did the engine have a problem? Was ther a prop strike?? From the sound of things, you may not have the bearings seated all the way on the crank.
If there was a prop strike, you could have either a bent crank, or out of phase crank. that is easy to check as well.
The more info you can give, the better advise or suggestions you will receive.
There is a guy in the forms, he goes by the name ramjet. This dude is good, fire him a PM and I am certain he would be able to help you out.

Cheers
Derrick
tallone66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in