Real speed Vs RC Scale speed... - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 01:32 AM   #1
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Real speed Vs RC Scale speed...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What would be the scale speed of 314 mph in RC version?, and if you are flying Twin or Mutli engined model replicated after real aircraft, then what throttle setting would be on our TXs.
Let say flying a model with 4 x .46/45 engines and model weight 20lbs to 24lbs approx...

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:21 AM   #2
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Throttle position depends on a lot of things. What is your needle settings? Air density? Altitude, fuel, fuel tank location, prop, type of prop, number of blades, type of spinner. I could go on and on.

Scale speed, as far as I can tell, doesn't relate. Full sized aircraft can be really far away, and 300 MPH is way different close up. If you wanted to scale it down, my understanding is that it would be difficult to fly. To simulate scale speeds, relocate your flightline to give the illusion of scale flight.

Take you plane out to the field and try to simulate what you see as a "scale" speed. move your flightline to adjust the speed, and maintain control of the plane. Try it this week when you take it out to fly. From that, you can tell where YOUR throttle needs to be.

I think I have it right! If not, someone will correct me.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #3
smark
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Stan M
# of RCs: 12.

Hi Sammy
I think scale speed depends on the scale of the model. If you were flying a full size plane, a kilometer is 1000 m. If you then magically shrunk to 1/4 scale, then to you, a kilometer would also shrink to 250 m "real scale. Thus 400 K/hr scale speed would be 100 K/hr "real" speed.
The throttle settings for the plane could be calculated or you can find some one with a radar gun, or you could fly a measured distance, then time it.
Good luck.
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #223
smark is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:35 AM   #4
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Most multi engine planes have such a high wing loading that they can not fly slow enough to meet what most people perceive to be "scale speed"

It is not a measureable quantity, but rather a perception based on the angular velocity as the plane flies across your field of vision.... Don't sweat it, build the plane and fly it!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
Most misunderstood term in scale contests "scale speed", a better term imho, would be "prototypical performance";

The best definition I've seen is here.
http://www.scaleaero.com/maneuver_realism_speed.htm

In reality, what looks closest to reality to the judges is what counts, unfortunately many judges are most impressed by slow speed, ridiculously slow which has most contestants flying around close to a stall (hence the many tip stalls seen in the blooper videos). Maybe this is because of the many slow motion films of fighter scenes we grew up with? Many think scale modelers are not the best flyers. The simple fact is we fly some of the most difficult aircraft to fly to a totally unrealistic set of requirements. Aicraft heavy (with detail), undersized (for the reynolds numbers we fly at) control surfaces, flown on the edge of a stall. Masochists one and all, ya gotta love it!!!
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nony
Most multi engine planes have such a high wing loading that they can not fly slow enough to meet what most people perceive to be "scale speed"!
Except for Norm McLellan's beeeeauuuutifull mossie that was at the Chatham Scale Rally. That thing flew extremely well at what looked like scale speed. It's ALL perception. If it looks right and flys safely who cares what the actual, because it's all real, speed.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #7
JohnnyHotRocks
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: John U

...now, what about the effects of the wind....or was that another thread?
JohnnyHotRocks is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcIntyre
Masochists one and all, ya gotta love it!!!
This explains much.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #9
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

So basically its all in preception of people looking at scale flying model and pilot to accomodate them selves in scale speed manner....Due to few facts that we fly models aircrafts, they really cannot be flown on redused scale speeds or they will stall and become bloobers ....

I have another question then?, if we cannot fly our scale models on reduced scale speeds then how come judges at big contests can say he is not flying scale speed vs other pilot is flying at scale speed when there is nothing that regulates the scale speed of flying model and same goes for experianced flyers for there comments on pilots flying there models at local fields!, i have heard this alot and it simply dosen't make sence to me why these kind of judgements and comments are passed on pilots over and over again...

To me when i flew my B25, i used to take off at full power to desired altitude and then reduse throttle to 1/2 or 1/3rd throttle so it looks at if its flying scale and on scale speed, to me that was good enough as i really have no idea what speeds "Mitchells" used to fly in reality but yet i have heard few comments passed on me as mentioned above on my speed of flying.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

you hit the nail on the head Sammy...it is judgement passing. There is no way to measure or calculate a perception.

As an example a full size P-51 cruised at 210 MPH ! (some dogs couldn't even go that fast..my father in law used to fly them) Yet most everyones expectations and perception is that it always flew flat out firewalled from takeoff to touchdown.. Try flying a Mustang at a "scale" 210 mph and just listen to the comments!!!!!!!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in