Top Flite Spitfire - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #51
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: Top Flite Spitfire

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Elcorro, I think I brought up I had heard of the tail incidence ealier, but could not remember where I had seen this info. Can you post links to specifics, or pics of the relevant page(s).

Mine is still stuffed in the box for a future build, (have the Texan and Seawind to finish this season, along with mods to Rare Bear) and would like something documented to stick with the kit so if memory fails I have it handy.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:21 AM   #52
Elcorro
RCC Apprentice

I am: Cory D.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 0

Hi Gary, If I remember correctly, the build thread where modelers discussed the tail discrepency is on RC Groups, I used to have it bookmarked but since I completed my build I have deleted it from my tablet. If you had mentioned it earlier on this thread, I apologize for stepping on your toes! I will have a look around the world, and see if I can find the posts and set up a link or two.
Elcorro is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #53
Elcorro
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

http://Top Flite Spitfire KIT Color ...ld thread #217 With any luck I do believe that I have found the thread on the Spitfire tail section build. Anyone interested can check it out and decide from there. Let us know how things are going, I myself will be keeping an eye out, and will also keep you updated on how the maiden of my Spitfire goes when the time comes! The link above, didn't work for me, so here's the title, Top flite Spitfire kit color and build thread. Go to post #217.

Last edited by Elcorro; 12-12-2015 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Wrong link

Old 12-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #54
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

No toe stepping at all. Was hoping you still had the reference.

This is what I found:

Quote:
Topflite R&D has confirmed that the drawing plan shows the incorrect seating of the horizontal stab in the stab saddle. TF is as dumb founded as to why this mistake in the drawing was not brought to their attention way before now.

For all builders that seated the stab with the leading edge of the stab butting up against fuselage frame #10.The stab is seated in the wrong location in the stab saddle and more stab incidence has been induced then the required + 2 degrees.This may be a contributing factor in the reported nose overs during the takeoff run. It may also explain why more elevator up trim was needed to fly level then what was expected.

Topflite will be releasing a Technical notice to address the problem.

The photo at step #10, page 36 of the manual shows the correct seating of the stab in the saddle. To correctly seat the stab in the saddle the leading edge of the stab must rest on the small lower step of the saddle, not the upper step. When seated correctly in the saddle, the leading edge of the stab is 1/4' back from fuse frame #10.

If you are currently building the Spitfire there are 3 items in the manual that need to be corrected:

(1). Page 35, step 2, it states that the fuselage sheeting should be long enough to extend past the plywood stab saddles by 5/8". This has to be changed to 7/8".

(2). Page 36, step 1, the die-cut 1/4"balsa "Fin Spacer" must be increased in thickness to 1/2". You can make another fin spacer from scrap 1/4 balsa and glue both together to make the fin spacer 1/2" in thickness.

(3). The horizontal stab must be seated correctly in the saddle. The leading edge must rest on the lower step of the saddle. When it is seated correctly, the leading edge of the stab will be 1/4" distance from fuselage frame #10. See page 36, photo at step #10 shows seating and 1/4" spacing.

Last edited by Cougar429; 12-13-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #55
Elcorro
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Haha! There it is! Good job Gary, I knew it was around somewhere, and that's more and better information than the other one I found.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #56
ForcesR
RCC Apprentice

I am: Roger S
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcorro View Post
Haha! There it is! Good job Gary, I knew it was around somewhere, and that's more and better information than the other one I found.
Just for your info, it was me who notified TF of the discrepancy between the drawing and manual in seating the horizontal stab correctly

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TF Spitfire.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	777946  

Last edited by ForcesR; 12-14-2015 at 09:46 AM.
ForcesR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #57
Elcorro
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

My apologies to you Roger, it's been some time since I researched your post, I didn't realize it was you that contacted TF on the discrepencies between the plans and the instructions, thank you for pointing that out!��
Old 12-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #58
ForcesR
RCC Apprentice

I am: Roger S
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcorro View Post
My apologies to you Roger, it's been some time since I researched your post, I didn't realize it was you that contacted TF on the discrepencies between the plans and the instructions, thank you for pointing that out!��
There is no need to apologize, I just wanted to let folks know that it was a sharp eyed Canadian who found the discrepancies between the plans and instructions manual. TF was suppose to issue a Tech Note to make builders aware of the issues but I guess they changed their minds! Maybe the Tech Note would have cost more to produce and issue than what the information was worth to builders

Roger
ForcesR is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #59
Elcorro
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Kind of sad that TF would posibly try to save a buck over tech issues /amendments in the beginning, and then loose money later on because their reputation has been comprised due to the fact of disgruntled customers finding out during their build of the errors in TF's products are well known and have not been addressed and rectified.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in