Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 06:26 AM   #11
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Dont despair, you CAN find a used trainer, radio and engine in good shape for $300 or even less. You just have to be in the right place at the right time (swap meets, or when someone local is getting rid of stuff).

Heck, last year I picked up for $300, an unflown Goldberg Eagle, 6 channel Futaba radio and new TT 46 engine from a lady in my town that bought it for her husband and then sold it since he built the plane but had no intentions of flying it. Its now our club's 2nd trainer outfit.

And alsolast summer I saw a guy at a swap meet selling a complete Eaglet 50, OS engine and still legal 4 channel radio for $100!!

If you are on a budget you CAN get into the hobby, it just takes longer because you have to look for the deals...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:35 AM   #12

Total Props: 57
Andrew is correct however I caution you about used equipment. Andrew knows exactly what he is looking for and is knowledgeable enough to know the difference between what is good equipment and not so good equipment. In a beginners case unless he has someone with Andrews experience with him there is a very good chance he could end up with a less than ideal buy. I have seen it many times that exceptional deal is not so great when the engine is either badly worn, way over powered for the plane its in or even worse an airplane unsuitable to use as a trainer. The radio is either and early AM or an FM that is old enough it is not gold stickered or the aircraft needs extensive repair because of hidden damage. If you do go the used route be sure to bring someone who has extensive knowledge of what you’re buying. I have seen a used good deal end up costing in time and money almost what the person could have bought new. Andrew makes it sound easy because for him it is for you it might not turn out the same. One thing to consider. The prices are cheep enough for a newbie that buying all new equipment isn't such a bad idea. Then you know the equipment is unused and undamaged and you’re not trying to learn with someone else’s possible problems or mistakes.

Dennis Pratt
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:38 AM   #13
britbrat

Total Props: 0
Will, check out the Flightlines forum -- lots of US fliers post there & advertise used stuff. I'm not sure about the ready availability of H9 products in the US, but Hobbico & Tower Hobbies have first class trainers that come in ready-to-fly (RTF) packages for reasonable prices.
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:41 AM   #14
2thelmt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ID

If I were starting out again I would build one of these...Spadet
http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/Spadet/

These planes will take alot of punishment when first learning to fly.
Hey, why not build two while your at it. Look at it this way, if you go out on a Saturday, crash a balsa ship, more than likely you will need a week to re-build. If you fly a spad plastic airplane, overnight repairs even at the field repairs are possible so you can be back up again by Sunday.

The last thing you want when learning is to be constantly re-building and buying airplanes. No matter how good your instructor is, planes do crash-I've seen the best put in trainers. I don't want to scare you, but you will crash, so why not build something that will take some punishment.

Ian
Old 04-27-2004, 09:39 AM   #15

Total Props: 57
Man I have flown several of those Spad designs and balsa ships fly a lot nicer. They look nicer than the Spads as well. Sorry but every time I see one of those spads it reminds me of a piece of flying cardboard. Can't seem to give them away here. I have had a few from estates that the guys have bought and flown and they end up stripping the engines and gear out of them and you never see the airplane again. Yet again there are other clubs whos members like them??? To everyone their own I just have not been impressed with any of them I have flown.

Dennis Pratt
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:52 AM   #16
2thelmt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ID

My SPAD3DT is a better flyer than any 3d balsa ship at our field. Another member Voyager, he destroyed two balsa trainers and built a debonair...he absolutly loves it! Still flies it to death.
I think alot depends on the builder.
When its in the air you can't tell that its made of plastic.
If you follow Tatoo's designs to the tee, you will have a great flyer, it's when people deviate from his tried and tested designs that people run into problems.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:31 AM   #17
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Dennis, I agree, I shoudl have qualified my statement re used planes and gear with this: get an experienced modeler to go with you to check it out. You dont want to buy an outdated radio, or an over the hill engine, etc.

As for spads, my buddy Brandon has many, many flights on his debonair and it looks like a plane, flies as good as any similar sized 40 powered sport plane and is quite indestructable

Wood, built up trainers or spad, the main thing is to get some help. Being self taught I know what teaching yourself to fly is like .... Lots of $$ wasted, lots of time wasted, and it is a lot more fun anyhow with others rather than going it alone.

Join MAAC, and get into a club
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #18
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
Join MAAC, and get into a club
You mean AMA.

Ronm

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #19
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9
I can not stress this point enough....find a local club before you do anything. Ask a lot of questions and express exactly what your hoping to accomplish. Let the fellows know your on a tight budget and I can almost gaurantee that you will get the help your looking for. Guys will see that you really want to do this and will practically give you some good used items to help you get started. I had a lot of help and encouragement when starting out and most RCers are a great bunch of fellows who will do all they can to encourage a new member and get you flying!

My instructor gave me all sorts of things to help me out especially his time and knowledgeable help. Take your time, shop around, and don't be afraid to ask for help. Go on line and do a search for info on getting started. There is a wealth of information on the net so get busy, do a lot of reading and give yourself some education on RC building and flying.

You said in your origional post that a few friends have RC planes and got you interested. Talk to them and see what help you can get there! Find out where they fly, go out with them and observe what goes on at the flying field and again, ask lots of questions.

I really hope it works out for you. This is a great hobby and you'll meet and make friends fast and you'll learn to do things right the first time.

Heres hoping you all the best and please keep us informed as to your progress.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #20
Sideslip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gauvin
We have someone in Moncton you has the Alpha trainer. I helped put it together and it is a very well engineered ARF that flies very well.
A few students at our club also bought the alpha trainer. It is a very stable and gentle flyer, and the 3 bladed prop it comes with is a pretty good idea... low end power seems very adequite, but the plane doesn't get up to much of a top speed, which is great when you are starting out.

The Aplpha comes with the evolution engine (I think). I had read some articles about problems in the UK with air leaks around the carburetors on these engines... but I've encountered a few of them here now, and they have always run fine.

It really blows my mind that you can get everything you need to start for under $400 these days!
Sideslip is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in